Temp And Electric Question/statement

philyc43

May 22, 2012
so my alternator caght on fire today... i gues they all had some sort of defect that the new one said was retrofitted not to have the same problem. w the question... i replaed the thermostat all hoses thermo housing and coolant... and now the car runs cool ranges from the N and O in normal most of the time and rarly gets a little closer to the middle in traffice or wen its hot... my concern is with the computer not working... at what temp does the loop open? am i getting optimal performance and gas milage.... btw its a completely stock 86 with 70k original.

• Sponsors (?)

From what i understand the car runs in open loop until 160* after that its all gravy. and if you are getting really good gas milage dont mess with it. Your car will heat up untill the thermostat opens which should be 190* for a stock thermo. remember your "normal" is anywhere between 130* and 250*

The readings from the stock temp gauge are just about as reliable as a politician's promise. Don't be surprised by what it reads. The computer pulls it's temp readings from the ECT located in the passenger side tubing that feeds the heater.