Progress Thread Cobra Rack In...Still Have Steering Slop

I picked up one of those recently. Works awesome. Don't know how I ever managed without one. Downside is now I need a bigger air compressor

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

A little progress today. Passenger front is done minus the brakes. Hardest part of this job so far was installing the mm caster camber plates. The studs on the lower plate did not line up at all with the holes on the strut tower. I had to clearance the :poo: out of them with a file and use a BFH to get them in. Then the studs bent to conform to the strut tower holes and wouldn't allow he the top plate to go on. I finally got them in there but used the BFH more than I would like. I hope the alignment shop doesn't have trouble adjusting or I will have to remove and start clearencing all over again. Anyone else have issues installing them?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

A little progress today. Passenger front is done minus the brakes. Hardest part of this job so far was installing the mm caster camber plates. The studs on the lower plate did not line up at all with the holes on the strut tower. I had to clearance the **** out of them with a file and use a BFH to get them in. Then the studs bent to conform to the strut tower holes and wouldn't allow he the top plate to go on. I finally got them in there but used the BFH more than I would like. I hope the alignment shop doesn't have trouble adjusting or I will have to remove and start clearencing all over again. Anyone else have issues installing them?

Mine slide right in.. Are you sure you put the driver side and passenger side plates on the right side?

Reactions: 1 user
correct.. If you install the upper plates on the wrong side , that will limit the travel. Sometimes you do needto use a rat tail file to open up the holes a bit , but you shouldnt need to to anything major. As long as you have movement you are good.. Here is an install video for reference,

Reactions: 1 users
correct.. If you install the upper plates on the wrong side , that will limit the travel. Sometimes you do needto use a rat tail file to open up the holes a bit , but you shouldnt need to to anything major. As long as you have movement you are good.. Here is an install video for reference,

Thanks for the video. I checked mine again and they have a hard time moving around in there. I am going to remove then clearance more for proper fit. Hopefully the other side goes smoother.

I have done mm caster camber plates numerous times, never had to clearance anything and they always moved freely. Something doesn't sound right. Can you post pictures of yours installed? I know the 79-89 are different from the 90-93 so maybe double check they sent the right ones.

Chris

I have done mm caster camber plates numerous times, never had to clearance anything and they always moved freely. Something doesn't sound right. Can you post pictures of yours installed? I know the 79-89 are different from the 90-93 so maybe double check they sent the right ones.

Chris

Well according to the packaging they are 79-89. Anyone know the differences between the two?

The 90 and up cars I've learned had more angle built in to accommodate the bigger 16" pony wheels. I've never done mm plates, but my son's 87 did require a tad of clearancing on his cc install. If you are having that much grief it does sound fishy though. I got the wrong side bottom plate at first and it looked BAD until I figured out what I had wrong. May wanna double check it..

Front is done. I had to clearance quite a bit on both sides for the bottom plates to fit but they slide freely now like they are supposed to. I plumbed everything up dead center and took it for a ride today. I know it needs a proper alignment but nothing feels out of whack. What a difference in ride quality though. There is no bump steer issue and it is so smooth compared to a worn out stock setup. I won't be able to dig into the rear until next week. I am debating on keeping stock springs as I like the way the car sits currently. All in all I am very happy with the update so far.

image.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Front is done. I had to clearance quite a bit on both sides for the bottom plates to fit but they slide freely now like they are supposed to. I plumbed everything up dead center and took it for a ride today. I know it needs a proper alignment but nothing feels out of whack. What a difference in ride quality though. There is no bump steer issue and it is so smooth compared to a worn out stock setup. I won't be able to dig into the rear until next week. I am debating on keeping stock springs as I like the way the car sits currently. All in all I am very happy with the update so far.

image.jpeg
Good job man. I bet you'd like the rear more if it were dropped about an inch though. Your car looks hot though.

Started rear today. The passenger side upper barely had any bushing remaining on the body side. I'm so glad I dug into this. Most of the bushings were in rough shape. I can't wait to get everything done as I'm sure there will be a huge improvement in grip. I don't know why it was in such rough shape compared to front. Got everything taken apart which was much easier than the front and lowers are in.

IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG

Started rear today. The passenger side upper barely had any bushing remaining on the body side. I'm so glad I dug into this. Most of the bushings were in rough shape. I can't wait to get everything done as I'm sure there will be a huge improvement in grip. I don't know why it was in such rough shape compared to front. Got everything taken apart which was much easier than the front and lowers are in.

IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG
Oooohhh! I like those new lowers!

Rear is finally done. I now have traction out of the hole (some) and reduced a bunch of NVH, like by 40%. I think anyone who gets a new to them fox needs to go through suspension especially bushings first before modding the engine. Your car will actually be enjoyable to drive.

IMG_1211.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG

I have the exact same setup, except for the weight jacker versions. Very nice ride quality, and grip.

I have wheel hop without the quads though, so I need to get those back on.