Tested out the whole mpg thing

GregGTStang

Oct 17, 2003
I don't know how anyone says that they get 300+ a tank from driving in the city. It seems to me it can't happen. I didn't get on the gas once the whole tank, and I got 245 miles. What, if any, mods can help me get better gas mileage? IMO, if you mod your car, more hp=less mpg. If anyone has a mod that gave them better gas mileage, who also tested it out, let me and anyone else know that wants better gas mileage.

• Sponsors (?)

JonJon said:
in the city? no way unless it's a v6
highway, yes, cruising at the same speed, all 300 miles

That's what I was saying, but people told me that they got that around the city, which I didn't believe.
So UD pullies would help? Why is that and what else would help?

My Stang gets great gas mileage compared to ya'lls. I drive a 1997 GT and it is mostly on the Highway and my last fillup I had roughly 315 miles. And city miles I get right under 300. But I do have some sort of chip that helps fuel usage.

Curty1107 said:
My Stang gets great gas mileage compared to ya'lls. I drive a 1997 GT and it is mostly on the Highway and my last fillup I had roughly 315 miles. And city miles I get right under 300. But I do have some sort of chip that helps fuel usage.
I don't see how that happens with all of your mods. And what do you mean "some sort of chip?"

Im not sure what kind of chip it is since it was on the car when I bought it but the dude said it gives me power while making it fuel efficient. I need to get off my lazy azz and go see what kind of chip it is.

The REAL "Whole MPG thing"

This is the easiest way to find out how many MPG your car REALLY gets.
1) Fill up the tank and write down the odo reading.
2) Drive around for like you normally do till it's time for your next fill up.
3) Fill up the tank and write down the odo reading AND the amount of gallons of gas you just bought.
4) Divide the number of miles you drove between fill ups by the amount of gallons you just bought.
5) Keep on doing that so you have a running average.

thx0258 said:
This is the easiest way to find out how many MPG your car REALLY gets.
1) Fill up the tank and write down the odo reading.
2) Drive around for like you normally do till it's time for your next fill up.
3) Fill up the tank and write down the odo reading AND the amount of gallons of gas you just bought.
4) Divide the number of miles you drove between fill ups by the amount of gallons you just bought.
5) Keep on doing that so you have a running average.

I just knew there had to be a math problem coming sooner or later here.... :owned:

City driving, there is no way man. My best was today. I 306.9 miles and it only took 11.96 gallons to fill up. Im to lazy to do the math lol I just filled up this am. Previous best was 299.6 miles on 12.26 gallons. I do about 50/50 hw/city driving.

StangLou said:
City driving, there is no way man. My best was today. I 306.9 miles and it only took 11.96 gallons to fill up. Im to lazy to do the math lol I just filled up this am. Previous best was 299.6 miles on 12.26 gallons. I do about 50/50 hw/city driving.
u get 50 mpg?? thats insane

I just returned today from a week long trip to the south. I kept gas reciepts and milage to calculate my mpg. On the highway, I banged out 26.672 mpg. I'm guessing that was up there account of the new K&N air filter I installed for the trip. Around town in much stop and go traffic (Myrtle Beach), I got 22.33 and 22.48 mpg.

On my final attempt for good mpg before gears, i got 23.6mpg. That was a 150 mile straight trip with no stops averaging 70mph..

Tonight the trip meter sits on 246 miles and the low fuel light will probably come on as soon as i move down the road in the morning. Thats driving 30 miles at a time in a normal (rather spirited) style, with a few trips to WOT and plenty of high rpm shifts.

But often, mods that add power often increase mpg. More power usually simply means better efficiency of fuel already being used. Such things as high flow intake/exhaust, pullies, chip and the like.