The Official "4-Mod-Fox" progress thread

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
Motor City
The Official "4V-Mod-Fox" progress thread

You might have seen my thread about the "Next Hack Attack". Well, it's official. I have decided to take on another project swapping a mod motor into a fox body.

My first swap was "Project 81 Hack Job". Now, please welcome "4-Mod-Fox". The first round of work comes tonight. Christmas Eve and Christmas is in 3/4 days, so don't expect a lot of progress before that, but I want to cut this build time in half of what it took to build Hack Job.

Pics to come tonight...:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys. I paid for everything this morning to keep the books square for the year. I know you'll be here to push me to keep moving on it.

One thing I know for sure, is that I know exactly what I have to do this time to make things work. Another thing I know for sure is, this car doesn't need anywhere close to the body work Hack Job need. A third thing is that I won't be spending nearly the time to paint the underneath of the car and the inner floor pans ect...

The buyer of Hack Job didn't even look at the underside, nor did he sit in it, drive it, look in the trunk...nothing. I'm not messing around with that. I'm bolting in these parts and getting it done.

Okay guys, got 3 hours in tonight and another 25 minutes to clean up. I'm off to the mall to Christmas shop for two last minute things and then I'm going home to post up. Stay tuned...:D

Shopping done.

I had most of the Cobra stripped back February 2008. I had to get the last of the wiring out, the parking brake cables, some misc brackets I need. Tomorrow morning I am going to cut out the firewall area I need for the steering shaft bearing and the dash mounts. I also have to bring another Mustang to get some special transmission mounts off. I'm using the 99-04 trans mounts whick weld right to the tunnel. The 94-98 crossmember won't work in a fox body. It's longer and I don't feel safe about cutting the crossmember in half and rewelding it.

Wiring I needed to get out tonight.
DSC00321.jpg

Car was wasted...
DSC00323.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

The heart.
DSC00269.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

The longtubes are coming off. Going on are stock manifolds, new water pump, new oil pan gasket, Motorcraft plugs, valve cover gaskets and a nice clean up. Stay tuned. :nice:

Not sure Chris. I built Hack Job with every intention on selling, just not so quickly. I will prolly do the same with this one, but who knows. That is why my goal is to have a lot less money into this car. I'm not getting too crazy with new parts this time. I'm looking to use good, tight used stuff. Stock springs, ect...I also have a set of used 04 replica's that will most likey go on since I only owe pennies on them. But we'll see...if I opt for new wheels they will be FR500's or something. My plan is to get up early tomorrow....I need to go to bed.

I went in early today (6:30am) and cut out the firewall/bearing plate I needed from the Cobra. Then I brought in a couple junk stangs sitting around and cut off the radiator brackets on the bottom of the core support and I cut off the 99-04 style transmission crossmember mounts from another stang. Cleaned up, worked 8-5, then brought in the car this stuff is going into. I pull apart the ground effects, the old fuel and brake lines, the front bumper and some old wiring. I also routed the 97 Cobra fuel lines and put a couple bolts in place.

Like I said earlier, I'm not wasting time painting the underside and making it pretty. It's pretty solid, a couple dirty areas and wet areas from gear oil, and gas, but other than that, it's pretty clean for a 91.

1997 lines in the 1991
DSC00326.jpg

I had to cut this area larger on Hack Job and this car for the fuel lines and the future wiring...
DSC00327.jpg

Going in early again tomorrow to pull out the interior seats, carpet and hatch area trim. My next major thing to do is get the rear axle in, and get the lines together.

i don't know how you can go through this again i have a friend that is also on motown muscle with us and he has a 83 capri with t-tops .the thing is a totla rust bucket for the most part but is repairable .i would love to do a capri but after going with what i am going through with this car i can't see doing it again.major props to you to because it is alot of work and i can see why you wouldn't want to go through the trouble of painting the bottom and such.atleast this time when you get it done i would love to see it at the mustang car show in novi. good luck with the build:nice: