The Official "what Do You Do For A Living" Thread

I would've loved that. Never joined the military but I got into amateur radio just because I spent so much time as a kid listening to shortwave and wondering not just what they were saying, but how on earth was I able to receive a signal from the other side of the planet. That fascinated me.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks, I don't know anything about radios or satellites besides an extremely basic understanding of frequency waves they transmit.
I love electronics and wiring and that fit into the category. I was aiming for Ground Radar but I got assigned RF Transmissions instead. Either one would get me a nice job in the FAA when/if I don't make a career in the AF.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks, I don't know anything about radios or satellites besides an extremely basic understanding of frequency waves they transmit.
I love electronics and wiring and that fit into the category. I was aiming for Ground Radar but I got assigned RF Transmissions instead. Either one would get me a nice job in the FAA when/if I don't make a career in the AF.
A lot of ham radio guys are ex military/communications guys. If you love electronics, you'll do great. Just stay the hell out the security forces.

Wow pretty cool to see all the diversity about our peeps!!

Well my backgroud is a little hard to type because it involves a story and my dream to pursue professional baseball. A writer for the Winnipeg Free Press wrote an article about my story and I thought he did a pretty good job. So I'll just link it and that way it will be a little easier to understand and maybe it can be an inspiration to someone and help them some how.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...tending-to-unfinished-business-121305314.html

So basically this car was the last thing my mother gave me and I'm driving it daily while pursuing my baseball dream. In the offseason, I teach pitching lessons (Elite Sports Training Academy, Grayson, Ga.- come see me if your kid needs some) and have a valet job that I do in Atlanta to help ends meet, cause life in the minors sux on the payscale. Good example right here, rookie pay is $800 a month :confused: But I'm scrounging here and there to piece together bigger dreams regarding my baby :nice:

Here's a pretty cool demo of what I do, just follow the ball :stir:

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B02El3jx3D8

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Wow pretty cool to see all the diversity about our peeps!!

Well my backgroud is a little hard to type because it involves a story and my dream to pursue professional baseball. A writer for the Winnipeg Free Press wrote an article about my story and I thought he did a pretty good job. So I'll just link it and that way it will be a little easier to understand and maybe it can be an inspiration to someone and help them some how.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...tending-to-unfinished-business-121305314.html

So basically this car was the last thing my mother gave me and I'm driving it daily while pursuing my baseball dream. In the offseason, I teach pitching lessons (Elite Sports Training Academy, Grayson, Ga.- come see me if your kid needs some) and have a valet job that I do in Atlanta to help ends meet, cause life in the minors sux on the payscale. Good example right here, rookie pay is $800 a month :confused: But I'm scrounging here and there to piece together bigger dreams regarding my baby :nice:

Here's a pretty cool demo of what I do, just follow the ball :stir:

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B02El3jx3D8

Wow, what a great read, I tip my hat to you. Keep pursing that dream. This'll be a story I tell my godson (Don't have any kids of my own yet lol) his mom walked out when he was 18months old so we've all had a hand in raising him.

Reactions: 1 user
Thnx man, glad I could be an inspiration and blessing to your family :flag: ....when I make it to the Show everyone gets a new Super Charger!!! ...ummmm wait, ....lets change that to a new fuel pressure regulator :hide:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I work for Ford Motor Company in MP&L material planning and logistics. I coordinate how material flows through the plant for new model programs. My focus is fork free implementation. I would rather be over in product design or test but experience carried me where I am now. I have crossed paths with @hsean
Scott

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a Mechanical Engineer of 7 or 8 years I think. I am a design engineer in the semiconductor industry helping design and build the tooling used to make microchips, LED, flat panel displays, etc. Most of our customers are the big names in electronics and I'd bet that most of the electronics in your home, car, etc probably were made on a system that uses some variety of component I've been a part of developing. I specialize in gas filtration, and it would probably take me 2 pages to explain why that is critical when it comes to chips and FPD's. I get to play with some awesome technology and always learning new things. I love my job.

I'm also a licensed electrician...but I no longer "practice" although my friends do reward me with steak and beer for helping them with some small things around the house.

I am also the person in my Avatar ;)

Lately I've been reading all of these build threads and all these parts some of y'all are buying and it seems like some of you have an unlimited amount of money. It just leaves the burning question:

What do y'all do for a living?

Its nice to see the backgrounds of our fellow Fox/SN95.0 members

If you think this thread is too personal, feel free to say "none of your f*cking business jack!"

:)
How bout you Rockstar, what do you do?

For those in or fixing to join the military (enlisted) my best advice to you is if there is a certain career path you're leaning towards once you get out research what licenses, certificates, etc are needed and pursue them on your free time while you're still in. Even though you are trained and seasoned on a piece of equipment or other fields often times it doesn't mean jack in the civilian sector w out an accredited program and paper that says you've completed it. I was a gas turbine mechanic now I make bread. No A&P license.

Reactions: 1 user