The Reenmachine DOHC '67 Shelby Clone Convertible Progress

Pete, the passenger fender didn't appear to be aligned when the rocker stripes were applied on the green car.

You've probably already noticed that though as much attention to detail as you tend to give things, but as another set of eyes, I thought I'd point it out.

• Sponsors (?)

1320stang said:
Pete, the passenger fender didn't appear to be aligned when the rocker stripes were applied on the green car.

You've probably already noticed that though as much attention to detail as you tend to give things, but as another set of eyes, I thought I'd point it out.
Yeah -- I have another set of stripes on hand and this, along with a few other body-related odds & ends, will be taken care of during the car's final stop at the body shop when it's done. The customer also wanted to keep the body pretty much as-is to save the time and expense of a full paint job, so it is what it is in a few places.

68Eleclone said:
Hi reen,

Im just wondering where you got the Interior spray-on insulation for the green fastback and what kind of undercoating would you reccommend on the underside of the chassis?

John
The spray-on insulation is Lizard Skin and they have distributors all over. You can find one on their website www.lizardskin.com.

For the undercarriage you can do a number of things, including more Lizard Skin, but that's probably overkill. I've seen people use everything from spray-on truck bedliner to rubberized undercoating in a spray can.

smoothed panels

Mustang Market allows you to specify no hole. That's who I ordered mine from.

-Deric

67FBack said:
Have you found the door panels with the window crank handle hole deleted?
(for the electric windows)

I have found one on American Pony Parts http://www.americanpony.com/store.mv?p=801147-453 but it looks like it still has a raised area for the crank hole.

Is there one with the door handle hole deleted for a shaved handle car?

reenmachine said:
The spray-on insulation is Lizard Skin and they have distributors all over. You can find one on their website www.lizardskin.com.

For the undercarriage you can do a number of things, including more Lizard Skin, but that's probably overkill. I've seen people use everything from spray-on truck bedliner to rubberized undercoating in a spray can.

Thank you for the reply. I think Lizard skin would make a big difference on the undercoating, as it will reduce road noise alot. More is always better.

John

Hi reen,

How long did it take you to install the Heidt's IFS? I am very close to ordering one, and I wanted to know how long it would take. I have someone already doing the welding for me. Maybe a weekend? Also, what would you reccommend on stripping off the undercoating on the chassis? ON the underneath of my car is this 1/8 inch thick layer of rustproofing.

John

bnickel said:
hey Reen, i noticed on the green fastback you have the chrome old style power by ford valve covers. you wouldn't happen to be interested in trading them for some different units would you?
Only if you've got something cool to offer. Other than that you can just have them.

They're not in great shape (some pits, etc.) but should clean up ok, and I guess you could always get them rechromed.

68Eleclone said:
Hi reen,

How long did it take you to install the Heidt's IFS? I am very close to ordering one, and I wanted to know how long it would take. I have someone already doing the welding for me. Maybe a weekend? Also, what would you reccommend on stripping off the undercoating on the chassis? ON the underneath of my car is this 1/8 inch thick layer of rustproofing.

John
You can do it in a weekend if you're efficient (just the metalwork part). It takes some time to get the shock towers and various little bits off, and to otherwise prep the existing structure. Taking the engine out and the old suspension off, as well as assembling the new suspension, is easy, but you know how things go. I get really anal about the install though (perhaps overly so) so it takes me a bit longer.

Eastwood makes a product called "Under Gone" or something like that that does a good job of loosening up that old undercoating.

Hi reen,

What hood are you using for your clone? I saw some other pictures of the 68 GT500 where the air ducts are more towards the front of the hood, rather than almost to the middle. Also, are you still planning to put the original front bumper on?

John

68Eleclone said:
Hi reen,

What hood are you using for your clone? I saw some other pictures of the 68 GT500 where the air ducts are more towards the front of the hood, rather than almost to the middle. Also, are you still planning to put the original front bumper on?

John
Yes, '68 Shelbys had the scoops near the leading edge of the hood. All the bodywork on this car is '67 Shelby.

Yes, I will be putting a bumper on.

68Eleclone said:
Also, where did you get that shifter from? It kinda looks like a eleanor shifter, but I could be wrong.

John
Had it made. It's similar to the Eleanor one, but the shape is a bit different to accommodate the console and it is threaded for a much broader selection of knob.

68Eleclone said:
Any updates on the project yet?

John
Yes, but not on this car! I got the green fastback back on its wheels and added a nice SSBC Force 10 front brake kit that's compatible with the MII suspension. Now I have the blue fastback back from paint and it's its turn to get back on wheels. Once it is a roller, I'll rotate back to the 'vert and finish it up.

The green fastback:
http://www.reenmachine.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116

The blue fastback:
http://www.reenmachine.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96

reenmachine said:
Yes, but not on this car! I got the green fastback back on its wheels and added a nice SSBC Force 10 front brake kit that's compatible with the MII suspension. Now I have the blue fastback back from paint and it's its turn to get back on wheels. Once it is a roller, I'll rotate back to the 'vert and finish it up.

The green fastback:
http://www.reenmachine.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116

The blue fastback:
http://www.reenmachine.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96

Looking good pete!

On the green fastback, what did you use to strip the undercoating on the bottom of the car? Is the undercoating the same for every mustang made?

John