The Reenmachine DOHC '67 Shelby Clone Convertible Progress

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by reenmachine, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Edbert

Edbert Founding Member

Nice, is that the courtesy light from a fastback I see there? No armrest/ashtry from the regular 67/68, but the price you pay to have it look so integrated. No window-crank helps a ton.

What is the backing material of those panels, any chance of duplicating them and marketing the panels (with or without upholstering)?
  2. reenmachine

reenmachine Active Member

Losing the armrest/ashtray comes with the territory with the Shelby-style rollbar. The interior quarter panels started with the '68 Shelby convertible repro pieces and had to be modified to fit (of course). They were then covered with the matching vinyl. That is indeed a fastback courtesy light. Between the underdash lights, the light at the rear of the console, and those, it really lights up inside.
  3. ARTTII

ARTTII New Member

WOW !

I recognize that car! I was in your Dad's shop to buy some parts about a week (or two ?) ago and he took me out back and lifted the hood on that beauty! Looks great in person! Awesome car
  4. 68EFIvert

68EFIvert Member

reen,
    I really like the console with power window switches built in. How easy was it to wire the switch kit that you bought? Does it come with all wiring and directions? Plug and play or did it require a lot of farting around?

Great job by the way. Your car looks fantastic!!!!:nice:
  5. reenmachine

The power window wiring was pretty easy with the kit I had.

Watson's StreetWorks
    http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/power_stuff.html
  6. MustangEnthusia

MustangEnthusia New Member

Wow looks nice, you're so lucky :)
  7. reenmachine

Which part is luck, exactly?

:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:
  8. 67FBack

67FBack New Member

9. reenmachine

Your switches didn't come with the plugs & harness?
  10. 67FBack

67FBack New Member

It came with the switch plugs and a small harness. Guess it really doesn't need any more than that.

But these switches are the best I (you) have found. I returned the ones I purchased from Jegs, as they were not even half the quality.
  11. reenmachine

Yeah, these are still the only ones I know of that aren't plastic crap.

Well, I should back off of that a bit and say that I have seen some nice installations using OEM switches from various applications. To the best of my knowledge though these billet ones are the only universal ones out there that don't look cheapo.
  12. bnickel

bnickel Founding Member

i'm planning on using some 65-66 era T-bird window switches, the passenger side and rear switches are round (well the bezel anyway) and the plan is to use 4 of those and have another switch in the console box to switch between them so i can run all 4 from the driver seat. i think it will be a really clean looking installation that way.
  13. sixtyfive

sixtyfive Member

I dont know if it was stated before, but where did you get that hood from? im looking for a similar hood for my mustang, and cant find one that I had seen like that about a year ago, thanks for any info!
  14. reenmachine

It's a '67 Shelby repro hood. You can get a similar hood to fit a '65 from most parts places.
  15. reenmachine

Thought I'd post an update since I haven't in a while.

I had the car out at All-Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA, where I shared a tent with K.A.R. on the main drag. By the end of the weekend the grass was worn to dirt around it! The show was great, no rain the whole weekend, but I'm reeeeeally not used to the humidity anymore! Lots of attention for the car, and I started it up a lot for people, let them sit in it, etc. It was a good time.

Jerry Heasley photographed the car for a cover feature in Mustang Monthly (and prehaps other mags) so look for that soon. We shot for several hours over 2 days to get the best light, scenery, etc. We did about 80 miles of action shots on the road. Going down the freeway at 65 mph with Jerry hanging halfway out the open door of a rental car with a giant camera rig about 6 feet off of my front bumper was quite an experience! He also rode along and took a bunch of driving shots while sitting in back up high on the top boot area with a wide-angle lens.

I'll have the photos on a CD in a few days and I'll post a few of the best pics.

Other than that, there's not much to report. The car is done and the owner is coming to pick it up in a week or so. It's got about 1200 miles on it now and drives like a dream.
  16. Route666

Route666 Active Member

Top stuff Reenmachine! Hopefully I'll win the lotto and be able to do something similar soon. Well when I say similar it would involve a classic Mustang anyway... One day, one day...
  17. Renato

Renato New Member

Yes....more pics please!!
  18. 68keyblr

68keyblr Member

Congrats, Pete. Must be kind of a bittersweet feeling to let that project go finally.

We may be going to the Flastaff Route 66 show in September. Will you have a car there?
  19. reenmachine

Yes, it's bittersweet indeed, but I really, really enjoy building them so planning what's next helps ease the pain ;)

I don't live in Flagstaff anymore, so slim chance that I'll make that show.
  20. reenmachine

Here's a sneak preview of some of the pics from the photo shoot at All Ford Nationals. Jerry Heasley is a magician behind the camera!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]