The Verdict is in... Magnapacks Rule... :-)

turrizt

Oct 18, 2004
Well after going through 3 muffler set ups before getting the magnapacks on, I guess I'm pretty experienced already? First Stock, which sounded really nice in the car with windows up, then I got the JBA axle backs, which sound a tad better than stock, but sometimes seemed quieter than stock, then the flowmasters (which my exhaust shop thought would not fit) and then finally today I got the magnapack system installed... I went to 2 muffler shops that said the over axle pipes would not fit nor would the mufflers fit... What a disappointment!!!!!!

Then went back to the second shop and had them put the car on the lift, and follow the instructions, and for some magical reason while i was standing there, they some how looked like they would fit...

Big thing with installing this muffler system is to take off the hangers and also loosen up the catback pipes before adjusting the system to have it fit.

The hangers will have to go in a different position then how the stock mufflers fit. Well right now my mufflers are sitting in place uneven but I'm confident I can loosen everything up and get them straightened out... but the sound!!!

They sound perfect! I dont think I'd want the car any louder or quieter than as they sit right now... two thumbs up. :nice: :nice:

Now, on to the business at hand... Anybody want some JBA axle backs slightly used (about 3 weeks on the car)? :D They are perfect for those looking for a lower grumble slightly louder than stock with nicer tips...

later!

• Sponsors (?)

2MFF-Z28 said:
:nice:

just because someone works at a shop doesnt mean the know sheitsky. :D

Man, this is sooo true! My exhaust sounds GREAT but looks like sheitsky at the moment. I guess I'll have to just do it my damm self... :damnit:

Anybody got any advice on aligning/adjusting the magnapacks to hang right?

Just went for a night drive. When I started that engine...it was pure WOOOOOSHH. This sound is the classic Musclecar rumble imo :nice:

Curious about the JBA's as well...i've heard they're awesome.

JBAs

Nick85 said:
Just went for a night drive. When I started that engine...it was pure WOOOOOSHH. This sound is the classic Musclecar rumble imo :nice:

Curious about the JBA's as well...i've heard they're awesome.

You know what... I just realized, I think, why the JBA's have such a nice sound but are quieter than the other systems: My theory is that JBA designed these mufflers to work well with headers and catless X pipe that many people will get rather than just the axle back alone... In that scenario I would think the JBAs are the better muffler to have because as loud as the Magnapacks are right now, I think any other changes to the exaust, like headers or removing cats might make it a tad too loud...

JBAs sound great, just quieter than magnaflow, but like I said, they are probably perfect for the full exhaust set ups...

turrizt said:
You know what... I just realized, I think, why the JBA's have such a nice sound but are quieter than the other systems: My theory is that JBA designed these mufflers to work well with headers and catless X pipe that many people will get rather than just the axle back alone... In that scenario I would think the JBAs are the better muffler to have because as loud as the Magnapacks are right now, I think any other changes to the exaust, like headers or removing cats might make it a tad too loud...

JBAs sound great, just quieter than magnaflow, but like I said, they are probably perfect for the full exhaust set ups...

Can you post a pic of how the tips look on the car, even if they're uneven? Also, is there "drone" at any particular rpms.. like say... 2000? =)

Hi,

I have the magnapacks on my GT as well and just love them. Magnaflow used my 05 Sonic Blue as the test mule for the magnapack fit. My Sonic Blue is on there website under the magnapack sound clips.

I have had them on the car since March and have experienced no drone what so ever not even around 2,000 RPM. They also made me an x-pipe that fits after the stock cats. In other words the x-pipe just replaces the stock h-pipe that ford had on the car originally. "My catalylic converters are still stock"

After installation I picked up 10 more horsepower at the wheels. :nice:

racegirl1 said:
Hi,

I have the magnapacks on my GT as well and just love them. Magnaflow used my 05 Sonic Blue as the test mule for the magnapack fit. My Sonic Blue is on there website under the magnapack sound clips.

I have had them on the car since March and have experienced no drone what so ever not even around 2,000 RPM. They also made me an x-pipe that fits after the stock cats. In other words the x-pipe just replaces the stock h-pipe that ford had on the car originally. "My catalylic converters are still stock"

After installation I picked up 10 more horsepower at the wheels. :nice:

So is that 10 hp with just the magnapacks or magnapacks + the x-pipe? And that sound clip, is that + the x-pipe or just the mufflers?

Hi Terraform,

The 10 HP to the wheels is with both the x-pipe and the magnapacks installed. BUT remember the x-pipe is just replacing the stock h-pipe I still have my stock cats on the car.

The sound clip of the magnapacks on the website I believe are with just the magnapacks and my stock h-pipe still on the car.

They installed the x-pipe after the original sound clips were complete. So the customer can listen to just the magapack sound on the 05 GT.

If you choose the get the magnapacks for your 05, I think you will be happy with the sound like I am.

Johnny,

Unfortunatly I didn't get a chance to hear the exhaust with the h-pipe, so I really can't tell you one way or the other. Magnaflow just installed the x-pipe thinking it would give a better flow? So if my car would have been dynoed with my stock h-pipe and the magnapacks not sure if I would have gotten the extra 10 HP to the wheels.

As far as sound goes? The h-pipe might just put out the more classic sound. But I auto cross and occasionally head out to the drag strip. So I'm looking for better flow and more HP to the wheels. But the sound with the x-pipe to me, still sounds like it has some grunt.