The "What is Fast" thread...

• Sponsors (?)

88 Fox GT said:
Well, let me just make an example here.

Take a stock 03-04 Cobra and run a mid-high 12 with it. Pretty fast to me. But, I'm not THAT impressed because it was bought that way.

Take a Fox body with some bolt ons and a lot of garage hours on it and run mid-high 12s and it still just as fast to me, just more impressive because it was built that way.

Built fast not bought fast.

:stupid: damn new z06.

Woodrow said:
Theres plenty of cars rolling around the streets down here that run deep into the 9's. So I would say a low 9 sec high 8 street car is pretty quick for here in Atlanta.

are you serious? i live in the bay area (ca) and you are lucky to see anything that can touch 11s thats ever street driven. i just think thats rediculious considering the cars i usually run into. you must have some crazy dudes out there

i guess i'll jump on this.. I've never seen anything faster than mid 11's on the street. I've heard of faster cars... but it's all talk till someone shows up and proves it. IMHO a car that gets rolled off the trailer to run around the neighborhood doesn't qualify as street either. If you would consider driving it to work on a regular basis, and it runs 11's well then, there ain't many cars on the road that can touch it...

grrrrrrr said:
i guess i'll jump on this.. I've never seen anything faster than mid 11's on the street. I've heard of faster cars... but it's all talk till someone shows up and proves it. IMHO a car that gets rolled off the trailer to run around the neighborhood doesn't qualify as street either. If you would consider driving it to work on a regular basis, and it runs 11's well then, there ain't many cars on the road that can touch it...

My friend's Cobra runs 10's allll day long and has been a 6.78@106 in the 1/8 with his new setup. He drove the car 1000 miles last year and ran 10's at WFC with problems, NO TRAILER, AC, two overdrive gears, everything. Oh and 11's for a street car aint bad but it isnt anywhere NEAR fast enough to keep you from racking up an assload of losses. Also track times arent everything for a street race. My buddy's Lightning TRUCK has run 6.6's in the 1/8.

Plenty of cars that have much more power than needed for 11's but dont have the suspension or drivetrain to handle it. I dunno what rock you have been living under but even new Z06's will run in the 11's with some crazy MPH lol.

BOWTIEKILLR said:
:stupid: damn new z06.

are you serious? i live in the bay area (ca) and you are lucky to see anything that can touch 11s thats ever street driven. i just think thats rediculious considering the cars i usually run into. you must have some crazy dudes out there

Oh he's dead serous. Especially here in the NW Atlanta area. Look up names like Tim Lynch, Eric Dillard, Steve Petty, as well as many you see on the front cover of Mustang Magazines. You always see pics in the magazines of that Yellow Coupe with the 335's in the rear, with the chromed out 5.4 DOHC engine with big 88mm turbo's. Eric Dillards 4.6 Turbo Cobra.... I've watched those in action in person Not just mustangs, but GN's built to hell and back, 1200hp vettes and mustangs... you name it. Ever watched a 600hp Nissan 240 in a highway race, I have. Every day I trip over my boss's Mustang because it's always parked infront of my toolbox. It's mid 5's in the 1/8 street car.

CA always plays itself as the capitol of things, but in reality from what I have heard, it's just a rice fest. Come to atlanta looking to race, you better be quick or someone will hand it to you. If your into country music, look at all the country stars from atlanta, and if you like rap, well a bunch of them come from "da ATL". We have from one extreme to the other. From urban gangbangers, to backwoods rednecks, we have them.

Im not big on alot of those cars being "street cars", sure you can drive em around in a city but if you wouldnt hop in it and drive across the country without having to REALLY plan it, it's not a real street car. Weekend warrior or what have you, thats fine, just different stuff for different people and more on the extreme side of the ladder.

for a mustang.... i think a low 14 and faster is decent on the street. on the track, high 12s and faster is fast.... thats around here.

also depends on how people drive the car. I rode in like a 14.9 5.0, the guy shifted fast and just drove it like he stole it. It seemed faster than i really was...

Speeds8erM-1 said:
Im not big on alot of those cars being "street cars", sure you can drive em around in a city but if you wouldnt hop in it and drive across the country without having to REALLY plan it, it's not a real street car. Weekend warrior or what have you, thats fine, just different stuff for different people and more on the extreme side of the ladder.

Well, if things are built right, generally speaking, it shouldn't be a problem. Some really high volume fuel pumps get hot, so car's have poor cooling systems, and other factors that make it limited to it's drivability. Sometimes, when you have a lot invested in something, it isn't logical to bring it through it. When your running a $5000 shortblock, why put it through a 3000mile trip? Especially when you have a D/D. Why put wear on expensive pistons, rings, heads, valves? Could and Would are two totally different things. When I get finished with my motor, I know I could take it on a trip, but probally won't due to the fact I have a Silverado.

I agree with it depends on what mods you have done, and what its used for. I think the times my car runs are pretty good considering the mods it has, but feels SOOO slow on the street. Alot of car dont have a problem trailing behind me on the street. Not saying I street race, but most of the newer sports cars, can stay a few cars behind me if we were to go.

But too put it in a simple opinion, on the street mid to low 12;s is fast.

Cars do seem alot faster though when your riding shotgun then when your driving. Ive been in my friends 99gt, 14 second car, and it seems pretty quick, but when I drive my 13.5 second car, everything goes by so slow, you dont really notice the forces as much, and it just dosent seem that fast.

90mustangGT said:
Well, if things are built right, generally speaking, it shouldn't be a problem. Some really high volume fuel pumps get hot, so car's have poor cooling systems, and other factors that make it limited to it's drivability. Sometimes, when you have a lot invested in something, it isn't logical to bring it through it. When your running a $5000 shortblock, why put it through a 3000mile trip? Especially when you have a D/D. Why put wear on expensive pistons, rings, heads, valves? Could and Would are two totally different things. When I get finished with my motor, I know I could take it on a trip, but probally won't due to the fact I have a Silverado.

True but lets face it, anything with a big converter, no overdrive, some wild gears, or getting more extreme, aluminum rodded engines, fuel systems that overheat, ect ect, these are compromise cars. Some good enough for cruising but not in the league of a REAL TRUE DRIVER. There are cars that people keep miles off of just for the sake of keeping miles off but there are cars that arent THAT streetable even if they can drive to work every day. It could be done in a town like mine because this is a small area and you dont have to take the interstate to go everywhere but the real deal is say I need to drive somewhere VERY far, would I have to PLAN for weeks in advance hope it makes it there or would I hop in and go?

Nothing wrong with a weekend warrior, just not comparing apples to apples to a point.

If I read the title of the thread correct it asked what is fast, not what is a fast daily driver or what is a fast street car, what is a fast race car thats driven on the street. Maybe speedster, you should make a thread that asks "what is a street car?"

Woodrow said:
If I read the title of the thread correct it asked what is fast, not what is a fast daily driver or what is a fast street car, what is a fast race car thats driven on the street. Maybe speedster, you should make a thread that asks "what is a street car?"

The title of the thread says what is fast, that has been covered, if notice Im replying about some cars that are labled as "street cars". It's obvious whats a street driven car and a street driven drag car.

As far as fast goes are we talking track times, mph, or FEEL?

fast
adj 1: acting or moving or capable of acting or moving quickly;
"fast film"; "on the fast track in school"; "set a
fast pace"; "a fast car" [ant: slow]
2: (used of timepieces) indicating a time ahead of or later
than the correct time; "my watch is fast" [ant: slow]
3: (music) at a rapid tempo; "the band played a fast fox trot"
[ant: slow]
4: (of surfaces) conducive to rapid speeds; "a fast road";
"grass courts are faster than clay"
5: firmly fastened or secured against opening; "windows and
doors were all fast"; "a locked closet"; "left the house
properly secured" [syn: barred, bolted, latched, locked,
secured]
6: unrestrained by convention or morality; "Congreve draws a
debauched aristocratic society"; "deplorably dissipated
and degraded"; "riotous living"; "fast women" [syn: debauched,
degenerate, degraded, dissipated, dissolute, libertine,
profligate, riotous]
7: hurried and brief; "paid a flying visit"; "took a flying
glance at the book"; "a quick inspection"; "a fast visit"
[syn: flying, quick]
8: securely fixed in place; "the post was still firm after
being hit by the car" [syn: firm, immobile]
9: unwavering in devotion to friend or vow or cause; "a firm
ally"; "loyal supporters"; "the true-hearted soldier...of
Tippecanoe"- Campaign song for William Henry Harrison;
"fast friends" [syn: firm, loyal, truehearted, fast]
10: permanently dyed; "fast colors"; "colorfast fabrics" [syn: colorfast]
n : abstaining from food [syn: fasting]
adv 1: quickly or rapidly (often used as a combining form); "how
fast can he get here?"; "ran as fast as he could";
"needs medical help fast"; "fast-running rivers";
"fast-breaking news"; "fast-opening (or fast-closing)
shutters"
2: firmly or tightly; "held fast to the rope"; "her foot was
stuck fast"; "held tight" [syn: tight]
v 1: abstain from certain foods, as for religious or medical
reasons; "Catholics sometimes fast during Lent"
2: abstain from eating; "Before the medical exam, you must
fast"

Speeds8erM-1 said:
True but lets face it, anything with a big converter, no overdrive, some wild gears, or getting more extreme, aluminum rodded engines, fuel systems that overheat, ect ect, these are compromise cars. Some good enough for cruising but not in the league of a REAL TRUE DRIVER. There are cars that people keep miles off of just for the sake of keeping miles off but there are cars that arent THAT streetable even if they can drive to work every day. It could be done in a town like mine because this is a small area and you dont have to take the interstate to go everywhere but the real deal is say I need to drive somewhere VERY far, would I have to PLAN for weeks in advance hope it makes it there or would I hop in and go?

Nothing wrong with a weekend warrior, just not comparing apples to apples to a point.

Very true. However, some consider a car w/o A/C or P/S as unstreetable. Hell, for some a manual transmission is unstreetable! For me, I find a full race car, manual everything, more streetable than a Caderac or a Buick because you have to get out and walk around or you'll fall asleep at the wheel.

If the vehicle and survive bumper to bumper driving, as well as a steady highway cruise, can turn well enough to take normal driving without slowing down a great bit, it's 100% streetable. The question then is, is the driver man enough to handle it?