The "What is Fast" thread...

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
Simple enough question... but then it isn't. So, the question is, what do you consider fast? Is it just black and white, or are there things to take in consideraton such as mods, what kind of vehicle is racing, weight, class of racing, and anything else you can think of.

This is sort of a copy of a thread from another forum that went several pages.

• Sponsors (?)

That is totally up to the person your asking. It all depends on what they have and what they have driven. For me, a mid 12's car feels really fast on the street. For some its a total pig. My car as it sits is fast for most younger kids and people that have grown up on economy cars. For me, it aint nearly fast enough, yet.

meh... it all depends... if you can get a 4 popper 2.3l stang into the 12's.. Ill say its fast...

5.0... usually takes 11's for me to even consider saying its quick...

I grew up in a racing family though... I only ever watched drag cars.. never anything else.. Father races an 81 Ford Fairmont Futura that rans a best of 6.03 @ 118 MPH in the 1/8... so.. low 9's/ high 8's quarter mile... not many people on this board come close to that.. hell... id be lucky to touch 12's..

friends think my car is a beast though ....to each their own.

I agree, depends on a lot of things...

13s is fast for a Pickup, but not for a Lightning...

12s is fast for a bolt on fox body, but not for an 03/04 Cobra...

11s is fast for a mild 5.0, but not for a new Z06...

I am more for if something is fast for the mods it has. Im more impressed with a 12 second stock motored 5.0, then a 9 second 408, HCI, turbo car with a powerglide...

25thmustang said:
I agree, depends on a lot of things...

13s is fast for a Pickup, but not for a Lightning...

12s is fast for a bolt on fox body, but not for an 03/04 Cobra...

11s is fast for a mild 5.0, but not for a new Z06...

I am more for if something is fast for the mods it has. Im more impressed with a 12 second stock motored 5.0, then a 9 second 408, HCI, turbo car with a powerglide...

couldt have said it better.. pretty much what i wad TRYING to say... just couldnt grab the subject completely

GroverDill said:
my junk is still slow.

Not for long....:nice: You stocked up on some new HANES right?

My idea of fast for a street car is when your eyes are stuck in the back of your head, your back falt against the seat and you can't get up...or when you soil your pants:p I still feel that a high 11 sec NA Fox body is afast, everyone thinks they have a 11 sec car but in reality you still do not see a lot of them. Look at how many mismatched 331/347 combos you see that go 12's....

i'd say compaired to MOST cars drivin arouund town. A 11 second car is pretty fast on the street and there usually isnt ALOT of cars that can compete. NOw of course their are times your going to get beat but not to often. I have two 10 second cars and no one EVER touches me anywhere on the street. NOw if i was to bump my shot on the viper i'd be seeing 9's. SO thats FAST to me but 11's is very respectable, and if it runs 10's ..all the better.

let me add...

I'm with y'all, what's fast for one thing, is slow for another. I think that a 100% street car, no deletes, and only mild bolt on's with stock drivability, 12's and especially high 11's is quick. (7's and 8's in the 1/8th) However, nothing worse than when a full race car, trailered to the track, gutted, loud, and on slicks runs a 13. I say if it's a full race car, 9's for the average hobbiest is pretty quick (6's in the 1/8th) Anything in the 8's in the quarter, and 5's in the 1/8the is bookin' and there is no doubt like that, and if it's streetable on top of that: :hail2:

You folks are missing the meaning of the word "fast". Fast is a speed thing--(i.e. 115mph in the quarter). Quickness is a measure of time (i.e. 12.5 sec in the quarter).

That explains how top racers can hold the record for one and not the other; or they can hold both.

An 11 sec street car is quick. A 200 mph top speed car is fast.

Just my pet peeve, that's all.

88ssp said:
You folks are missing the meaning of the word "fast". Fast is a speed thing--(i.e. 115mph in the quarter). Quickness is a measure of time (i.e. 12.5 sec in the quarter).

That explains how top racers can hold the record for one and not the other; or they can hold both.

An 11 sec street car is quick. A 200 mph top speed car is fast.

Just my pet peeve, that's all.

Yep. :nice: A 220 MPH Countach is FAST.

Well, let me just make an example here.

Take a stock 03-04 Cobra and run a mid-high 12 with it. Pretty fast to me. But, I'm not THAT impressed because it was bought that way.

Take a Fox body with some bolt ons and a lot of garage hours on it and run mid-high 12s and it still just as fast to me, just more impressive because it was built that way.

Built fast not bought fast.