Think this setup might work?

TMX

May 24, 2005
Houston
First off, I know this is the hard 2.3 turbo way, but I want to try it out, because I know I don't see it often and it would be cool and have the look of a sleeper.

Does anyone think a rear-mounted turbo would work on a 93? I'm going to rebuild the engine with forged anyways, so that's not an issue, and won't be running excessive boost, maybe 10-14psi at most. I would get larger injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, forged pistons with lower compression, stronger crank and rods, someone to weld all the pipes and stuff as well.

The biggest question I have, can the car be custom dyno tuned? I know that HAS to be done in order to prevent problems. It's either I save for a turbo V6 or a turbo I4. I know the V6 would make alot of power, but I just want a fun little 4 banger to play with. Money isn't entirely an issue because I would just save and do it when I can, and I want to build up my own stuff, just for that feeling of accomplishment I suppose.

• Sponsors (?)

What is a rear mounted turbo? The farther away from the head you mount the turbo, the less energy available to spin the turbo.

I may never do this, but I think a mass air set up from a 92-93 with the exhaust and intake from a t bird would be the best way to go. I have just started messing with EEC stuff, so I am not really sure how to make this work.

I don't know how much research you've done on this up to now but I'd suggest some more homework. The guys over at Turboford.net have archive after archive of this stuff just waiting to be looked through.

I've got the same motor you do right now. The good ol' dual plug MAF POS. :) I've got an 88' Turbo Coupe motor on the stand right now that's replacing the 8 plug slug once it's built.

The sensible thing to do rather than try to make the stock 91 and later motor work (There's a bit more to it than just stuffing the block with forged this and that.), is to find one of the factory turbo motors and go from there. Either way there's a ton of work involved but in the end, the factory turbo motor with the Turbo Coupe/SVO computer or better yet a standalone EFI system will be the best bang for your buck. Just think of the money you'll save in spark plugs alone. :rolleyes: j/k

Custom dyno tuned? The more crap you throw at the motor, the more your wish will come true.

Rear mount would work, I just don't know how well. Typically the farther away you mount the turbo, the worse turbo lag gets. It doesn't seem to be a problem (or at least a big problem) on the V8 powered cars I've seen with the turbos out back. Believe me, a turbo'd 2.3 is the sleeper car poster child.

Bottom line is anything's possible it just depends on how bad you want to get it done. It may not be practical, but it's certainly possible.

140CILX - Did you read the post or just look at the pictures? :rlaugh:
:bang:

Golden Rule of message boards - Post when you know, read when you don't.

Thanks for the answers guys, haven't been around 2.3s for awhile so I've been thinking like a V6 guy which can spool a turbo up that far. I suppose I'll just have to find a turbo engine.

When I thought of turboing my na you all freaked the **** out about it, and he says money is not an issue.

so the logical sence is to do just a regular turbo swap

Unique I think its dumb.

so if you gonna freak out on someone who wanted to turbo the na motor then then say this is nique turboing a na motor just putting the turbo in another location.

talk about being a hypocrit.

He does have a point, everyone always flips when someone asks about turboing the NA motor. I just thought it was fine cause my stock V6 can take an intercooled 11psi as long as the fuel system is upgraded and is very well tuned. I was just trying to avoid searching the junkyards in Houston for the engine, ECU, and other equipment, then having to pull it all, get it transported and install it. Welding stuff in isn't as hard to me as swapping an engine. Ya'll say it's the easy and cheap way, but when it gets down to finding a good engine and hoping it doesn't need new everything, having to pull it out along with everything, repin the harness and drop everything in, welding doesn't seem that hard. So is it the easy way because it's the only possible way, or don't people want to bother? I think I'll search turbofords and see what's up with this engine.

edit: actually, after reading some stuff, people have gotten away with 9psi on stock pistons. And as far as computer, someone mapped out what each section was and I downloaded it. Studying computer programming and am very good at math, so even if I have to tune it myself, I could probably get somewhere. Someone said he used a turbo computer, so I'll keep searching lol.

140CILX-Coupe said:
When I thought of turboing my na you all freaked the **** out about it, and he says money is not an issue.

so the logical sence is to do just a regular turbo swap

Unique I think its dumb.

so if you gonna freak out on someone who wanted to turbo the na motor then then say this is nique turboing a na motor just putting the turbo in another location.

talk about being a hypocrit.
You're right; he said money is NOT an issue. Therefore, it doesn't matter what it might cost because he's willing to foot the bill for it, whereas most people on here want to make their 2.3 fast as cheaply as possible so just cool it Chief.
EDIT: Oh, and for good measure, I'm sure you could find plenty of 5.0 supporters who think our "unique" idea of swapping a 2.3 turbo motor is "dumb." Lucky for us that didn't stop anyone.

As I stated before, anything's possible. You can hang a turbo on any motor you wish as long as you tune it within the engine's limitations.

Either way you go, you're going to make some adaptations whether its plumbing for oil and/or coolant for the turbo, modifying the EEC programming and adjusting boost pressure to a cast piston friendly setting, or replacing the ECU, repinning the harness accordingly, rerouting some wires, and a little vacuum line work (I'm being vague on both counts to be brief). After affordability, it all boils down to which aspects you're most comfortable with or capable of doing.

TMX, if this turbo thing is as addictive as everyone says it is, 9psi won't be enough :) Kinda like the old G 'N R tune that said "I used to do a little but the little wouldn't do it so the little got more and more." Worst case scenario has you cutting your teeth on the turbo'd DP motor if it suits you, then you're good to go, if not, you'll have nearly everything you need to go bigger.
Take a look at Turboford.net. There's a bunch of stuff on using a MAF, running a turbo on a DP motor, EEC tuning and just about anything else you may need. It's certainly helped me make some of the choices regarding my turbo project.

Speaking of V6's have you seen the pics floating around of the Mustang with the supercharged V6 out of a Super Coupe? If you really want to go down the road less travelled... :nice:

I don't think I've been hypocritical, if I have, it's not been my intention. I'm pretty much game for anything if it makes sense. Most often when people post ideas or plans, they're looking for comfirmation or correction. The standard response is to poke holes at the theory, fix them, and poke some more until you can't make any more holes. When one asks for an opinion, that's exactly what they get. :)

Seeing as how my V6 with it's intake and soon exhaust will be pushing 200 bhp, and 14psi on my 105hp I4 should give me about 200 hp, it wouldn't be as cool because my V6 will slam back at a red light and spin off, a turbo could take till 3000 before my brain starts feeling the seat. Course the I4 would win only because it's like 400lbs lighter. But it would be nice to get aluminum since it can stand more heat than iron can.

There was an episode on television of Horse Power TV on Spike TV in which they did a rear turbo setup. It was on a V6 Camaro, but still put out a lot of power. There was minimal lag in the boost and smooth acceleration. They just cut the exhaust and mounted the intake piping. The exhaust went to one side of the car and the intake filter was on the other side.