Think your msitake is bad? THE BIGGEST IDIOT MISTAKE OF ALL TIME!!!

lol, my friend's brother did that. he bought a brand new celica, was racing it coming off the hwy on an exit ramp. he downshifts and instead of hitting 4th he hit 2nd. he said he saw the tach climb up then he heard BOOM!. blew his brand new motor. he went to the dealership and bitched them out about the trans letting him go into that gear. they gave him another car but he got a new prelude instead of another celica.

• Sponsors (?)

I used to work as an airframe mechanic so had access to all kinds of aircraft quality aluminums and tools. Perfect time to build my own battery box.

It turned out quite well and was I well under way installing it when I discovered I had forgot to buy nuts to secure the strap holding the entire battery to the base. No problem, I'll just drive REAL slow and careful like to the parts store just down the street.

Came around the corner and thought to myself, "Hey, the battery won't fall over, it's in a dang box!" Introduce the railroad crossing...

Mid-bump I knew I had problems. After the loud POP from somewhere deep inside my trunk, every light on the dash quickly disappeared and the engine sputtered and died. I pulled over into the nearest driveway and stopped. Quickly opening my glovebox I pushed the trunk open button. Gee... the trunk won't open for some reason... Duh, no battery power. Grab the keys and run around to the trunk and open it up.

A HUGE ploom of greyish-blue noxious smoke comes rolling out as soon as the lid comes open. All I could think about was either the battery blowing up in my face or leaking acid all over my gas tank and then THAT blowing up in my face. Luckily I had a ton of rags in the trunk which I threw over the battery and yanked it out of there.

That stupid battery had melted through one of the retaining studs of the box and was still VERY hot when I returned 30 minutes later with my new battery.

Genius I tell ya! :doh:

Originally posted by Gearbanger 101
iamwithstupid.gif
LOL!!!

Just kidding droptop, I've done some pretty stupid things when working on my car too. I once added about 9-liters of oil in my car before I finally realized that I forgot to put my drainplug back in. (couldn't understand why the dipstick kept coming up dry)
nut.gif

That has got to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard of. I am just picturing someone pouring in bottle after bottle of oil only to have it secretly running out of the oil pan....:lol:

A buddy of mine had put in a new cam. Well he asks me to come over and help adjust the lash in the rockers. We go over it, every cylinder. I'm pretty condident I have all of the rockers tightened down and the lifters loaded up. So I tell him to crawl out from under the car (where he had been turning the crank over) and start it up. Well he cranks it and *BANG*. Sounded like a rod slaping the pan or something. I'm pretty sure he shat himself and then killed the engine. I walked towards the engine thinking "how the hell did we break something in the engine??". Well, I go to turn the motor over slowly by hand, and I reach for the breaker bar to put on the crank. Guess where it was.. Still setting in the crank pulley. I ask my buddy, "what did you use to turn the engine over?", "the breaker, why?", "what did you do w/ it when you were done?", "uh... well... I really don't know..OH ****!". I proceded to laugh at him for the next hour.

Dumbest thing I ever did was, I went over to a friends house because my carb. didn't seem to be performing right. I had checked everything I could think of. He lived on this side street and I wasn't real familiar with the area. He started adjusting the carb. and then he'd tell me to take it for a spin. I'd go down the road a way turn in this driveway come back and say it's still not right. Finally took off, boy did it catch and go. Boom, end of road straight into a tree. My head broke the windshield, smashed the right fender and blew my tire. The guy didn't tell me the road ended 10' past the drive I had been turning into. And the funny part was I put my seatbelt on every time I took it for a spin except the last time.

I just remembered another....

There's this local service station that one of my friends' parents own. They don't pay their mechanics **** so they can never get anyone decent nor keep the ones they have very long.

I was down there one time talking to my friend when I heard a loud BANG! We ran outside, the mechanic had been backing a station wagon out of the garage and smashed it right into the wall. Broke out the taillight, back glass, and one of the side windows, along with messing up one corner of the car. He musta been goin pretty fast to do all that damage, too!

This was the same guy who I had make a new tailpipe for my car, and he had the end of the pipe pointing up toward the bumper, so I said I wanted it bent down a bit more and he grabbed ahold of the pipe (on the car) and physically pulled it downwards. It leaked around the outlet of the muffler permanently after that.

Needless to say I'm never having anything done to my car down there anymore.

heres a story that sucked for me but gave all my friends a good laughing. about 2 years ago, i just got my new 306 with alum. heads , mass air, intake, cam, tb, cold air kit, all just installed. i wanted to change the oil after 500 miles so i did. That very nite i was out on the main cruising street in my city giving it hell and then it started smoking. real bad. so i pulled into a car lot and lots of people came over. i couldnt tell what was the problem. people kept yelling you blew a head gasket and stuff. i found out that the problem was i left the old oil filter gasket on the block and it made my oil filter come loose and lose oil everywhere. now that sucked.:crazy:

Where to start? Left my oil cap off twice!, never made a mess though. Uhh left my wallet on my engine after working on it. Luckily I found it down my driveway somewhere. Uh, broke the bolt head off in my new edelbrock intake. I tapped another hole, it works, but not great. Thats about all I can think of right now...

I have never made a made a mistake working on a car such that it didn't run or ran badly. But, I have done some stupid stuff while working on a car. I can't really count all the times I have done stupid things but the best one I can remember was when I bolted up my battery box in in the trunk. I was pumped to get it in and going because at the time my battery was just sitting in the trunk. When my new Moroso box came in the mail I quickly started in on it. I realized after getting my new wires in place that the box needed to be bolted through the floor so that it was securely mounted. So I looked and discovered that I had to drop my fuel tank to do this. So I did. I jacked the rear end of the car up enough to fit under and started wrenching away on the straps. Got one. Then two...wrench, wrench, wrench, wrench...BAM! Full tank of gas...:doh:

So at this point I am completely smashed under this thing because I litterally had just a few inches to work before it dropped. I finally got out after a good 15 minute fight and spent the next 30 minutes trying to siphen the gas out. All the while my neighbor, a hot ass blonde, was watching me. When I finally got out I was so embarrassed I really didn't know what to do because I was spouting out some seriously colorful language upon being squashed.

When I put my battery in the back, I had to flip it around to get the cables to come out of the box right, then I started trying to hook up the cables and couldn't figure out why I was getting sparks every time I tried to hook up the negative cable. I was putting the cables on the wrong terminals:doh: because I had flipped the battery around but tried to put the cables on the same way they had been!

Originally posted by seijirou
This isn't a new one, but when i finished doing my heads intake and header install on my capri, I whipped out the haynes and followed the firing order that the little pictures gives...
Well the car would run, but it ran like ****.. and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.
so I start looking the motor over, and, being a 92 intake on an 86, the little pcv crossover tube that sticks out of the upper intake plenum i forgot to plug, since 86's don't use that.. well it was absoluty dumping oil out, it must have dumped half a quart on my headers.. and I was like... WTF _how_ could I be getting this much blowby?
Well I spent 4 hours scratching my head and finally drove it up to the track 10 miles down the road (all in first gear because it was making about 20-30 hp so it couldn't accelerate in anythign but first) and asked some of the 5.0 guys to come take a look...
Well they all got 5 minutes of good pissing themselves laughter before any of them could calm down enough to speak to tell me
:bang:

Ok, I've read this several times, what was wrong??? :confused:

I hope I don't feel dumb on this one! :doh:

I was using the Non-HO firing order, it goes something like 1-5- ect ect. instead of 1-3- ect ect.
2 of the cylinders were firing right on. 2 were firing a little too late, 2 were firing a little too early (and pinging regularly) and 2 weren't even close. This setup I can tell you personally will spray oil up backwards through the intake...
I was fortunate that I also forgot to plug some of the openings used in 92 for the PCV system so all the oil just spurted out of there.

well guys I have one that pissed me off pritty bad, I was building my 347CI over the winter, making a long storys short motor was in the bay everything but the intake was bolted up so im there bolting on the upper on the TFS street and the damn nut gos down my F****ing distributer oppening!@#$#@#@ well I had to drop my entire K-Member pull the oil pan, but It wasnt there! this was after about two days of probing with a magnet!!!! so I desided to pull the timming chain cover and guess what there it was!!!! I have the damn bolt sitting on my dresser...If i would of started that sucker up all kinds of **** would of happened.

point being all of us have done many stupped moves and we all learn from our mistakes! So keep those stangs runin and the import crowd memorizing what stang taillights look like!!!!!!!

:spot: <damn cool guy

Originally posted by zombie
I have never made a made a mistake working on a car such that it didn't run or ran badly. But, I have done some stupid stuff while working on a car. I can't really count all the times I have done stupid things but the best one I can remember was when I bolted up my battery box in in the trunk. I was pumped to get it in and going because at the time my battery was just sitting in the trunk. When my new Moroso box came in the mail I quickly started in on it. I realized after getting my new wires in place that the box needed to be bolted through the floor so that it was securely mounted. So I looked and discovered that I had to drop my fuel tank to do this. So I did. I jacked the rear end of the car up enough to fit under and started wrenching away on the straps. Got one. Then two...wrench, wrench, wrench, wrench...BAM! Full tank of gas...:doh:

So at this point I am completely smashed under this thing because I litterally had just a few inches to work before it dropped. I finally got out after a good 15 minute fight and spent the next 30 minutes trying to siphen the gas out. All the while my neighbor, a hot ass blonde, was watching me. When I finally got out I was so embarrassed I really didn't know what to do because I was spouting out some seriously colorful language upon being squashed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oh man, mine is the biggest idiot mistake, but i could just picture that happening :lol: :lol: .....