Thinking about a cam with my heads and intake, want to know what it entails.

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. I am going to be installing an Explorer (GT40) intake, brand new GT40 P heads with larger than stock 1.54 exhaust valves and ARP bolts, 24# injectors and MAF, 65mm TB and spacer, FRPP double roller timing chain, and 1.6 ratio roller rockers on my GT (all current mods in sig). Many people said I should put in a cam while I am at it, and after some consideration, I think I might. I spoke to my mechanic today, and he said that all I'd need is the cam its self, because my lifters would be fine and the springs on my heads would work with an E or F 303 cam. He advised me to get an F303 cam because "It has more balls then the E303, and you aren't gonna pass emissions anyway.". I read the specs on the cam, and it looks good. I just don't want to spend more money than I have to in order to get a cam, as my project is on a budget. If it's only the price of the cam, then I'll wait an extra week or two and buy it, if not, then I think I am gonna hold off. Please let me know what's going on.
Thanks,
Rob :owned: by my mustang...

• Sponsors (?)

Yes I would recommend getting a cam. But I would advise that you make another cam choice. As far as I know the F-cam will have to much lift for the stock Gt-40p springs. Unless your springs have been replaced.

The lunati 51014 cam has a better profile than the f-cam...also the trick flow stage 1 has good punch. The price on the trick flows cams is really good. You will be able to use your stock lifters. There are quite a few cams on the market that would take advantage of your combo better than the f-cam.

Just my .02 though.

go with a new cam! Call some of the cam manufactures for their recommendations. A lot of people say that there are better cams than those Alphabet Ford cams that you are looking at. Some people say that they are kind of dated, they work but there are better things out there.

My mechanic has built up many a mustang, and knows alot more than me. He has yet to steer me in a wrong direction, so I tend to trust his reccomendations. I would assume that the springs aren't stock. I personally want to go with the E cam, only because I want my powerband lower, not higher where the F cam puts it. Any more tips/opinions would be good.

Ok I am just telling it's a FACT that there are better cams on the market for your combo. Not saying anything about your mechanics decision. Did you ever think that some of us are mechanics. Trust me there are better cams for your combo.

You did ask for my opinion.

right, but more than likely it will be used, and when my mechanic says to use a specific part, 9 times out of 10 I do. He knows what I expect from the car, and gets it to happen with me. I am gonna do more homework before I plop the money down, but I want to make sure I get the right stuff. I want a cam that works at lower ranges, like the E cam, I am not so interested in 5500 rpm+ cams. Since it's a street car with a little track time thrown in, I want it to have good low end, because I hardly ever see top end on the roads in my area.

I'm sure, but for some reason he reccomended that one. I've yet to have a complaint about the mods he reccomends. The guy is a family friend, and has worked on all three of my stangs, although on the first two it was more repairs then upgrades. He reccomended my suspension combo, and I was very happy with it, and he runs a 400 RWHP car that has been redone more times than I can count. It seems whenever he's bored he rebuilds his motor with a new combo. I posted a new thread so people can make cam reccomendations, that way I can look into other cams that may fit my needs.

I'm perusing the stack of receipts that the previous owner of my Stang left me.

Among other numerous bolt-ons, it has:
GT40X aluminum heads
GT40 intake
Ford Stage I roller cam (according to the Summit receipt, at least)
1.7:1 roller rockers

I don't know if the cam is the F-cam, but I seem to remember him saying that it was.

Regardless, the power is definitely "up top" with this setup. The thing I like best is the throttle response. Usually, when I've driven a torquey pushrod motor, the car doesn't accelerate much quicker with full throttle than it does with half or 2/3s throttle. On the other hand, revvy little OHC 4v/cylinder motors seem to reward every inch of throttle travel with more power. That's how my Stang drives. I can be accelerating at 3/4 throttle and then put the pedal all the way down, and there is a very noticeable jump in acceleration. This car definitely rewards a heavy foot. Also, the cam I've got provides a relatively lopey idle; much moreso than the stock cam. It's not quite the stereotypical, barely idling, huge cam that you find on drag-only cars, but it's got that blub-blup, blub-blup, blub-blup idle.

And, to make things worse, the Magnaflow catback I just installed yesterday behaves similarly. Around town at low throttle openings, it is relatively subdued and not much louder than stock. But give it full throttle and some revs and man, it WAILS!

Aynway, I don't know nearly as much about the numerous cam choices as other people do, but I can tell you that I'm very happy with the engine's character and power delivery.