Thinking about moving to 4.6

mricci

Aug 17, 2003
Massachusetts
I have a 95 gt right now, but its getting older and doesnt have a/c or smog. Im thinking about selling it then getting a 99+ GT. I just dont really know anything about the 4.6 motors. I was just wondering about how they respond to mods. I know that like you can get about 300rwhp out of a h/c/i 5.0. About 325-350 with a blower and close to 500 with h/c/i and blower. Just wondering how the 4.6s compare, and how much they cost to modify. I wont be doing anything crazy right away but just wondering for down the road.

• Sponsors (?)

They do not respond well and mods are very expensive. However you will be starting off with some pretty decent power with a 99+ :nice:

If you want serious power (>300) you have three basic choices; many many pricey bolt ons, forced induction, or the cheater gas.

Skip the GT and get the '03-'04 Cobra. The prices on them are dropping like rocks. Their's two in the newspaper right now for $24K with 18,000 and 20,000 miles on them. Their selling for the same price as what I've seen Mach's selling for here.

I would love to but thats a little out of my price range. I want somethign nice that goes decent right now, but down the road i was thinking about doing some stuff to, my good friends all have at least h/c/i foxes so i dont want to be much slower than them if i can help it.

Do it

I sold my modded 5.0 and never looked back. Get a 99 or 01 Cobra, you should be able to pick one up for $12-$14K without a problem. You will definately need gears because you will miss the low end torque of the 5.0 but they pull hard all the way to 7000 RPMS!!!!! :D

Price wise you are probably better off with the 5.0....BUT 300RWHP isn't that far away really, a good exhaust, the worth while bolt ons and a set of cams should get you close to 300RWHP and 320ishRWTQ. With a set of 4.10's, that will put you in the 12's somewhere. Or you could always just get a KB and be at 400RWHP. The 5.0 definately has it's good points, but honestly I find the Modular motors to be the better choice if price wasn't a issue.

This is a tough decision, I like the newer look of the 99+ and it will be more power than i have now, and would have everything working without all the stupid little maintenance issues. Also just to the person who said about hte trickflow h/c/i i have never seen one get more than just around 300rwhp.