thinking about purchasing...

5.0 Drop Top

Jun 14, 2003
this first gen 'stang thats for sale near me.

No engine, rolling chassis + tranny. Not alot of rust. Not missing any body parts, a few interior parts.

It's up for 1000/obo.
I'm going to offer him 450 for it.
He may not take this little but it cant hurt to try.

I'm a restomodder.... I want to restore it but way BEYOND stock. :D

Whats teh biggest engine you can fit in the first gens? I know the strut towers are big.

Are there rear leaf to spring conversion kits avaible?

• Sponsors (?)

5.0 Drop Top said:
Whats teh biggest engine you can fit in the first gens? I know the strut towers are big.

Are there rear leaf to spring conversion kits avaible?

YOu can order a nice coil over set up with a new 9 inch from Currie and TCo as well as coil overs for the front, you can also put in the 8.8 rear ;)

You can also put in the 351c without shock tower mods as well, however, if you do the coil overs in the front you can remove the shock towers and fit just about any motor you want in it. A super charger 4.6 is the latest flavor of the month and would make a killer ride in a 65 mustang.

I'm dreaming to put a blown, injected, and stroked 351w with a t-5 into this body.. is this doable?

I would also like to use the climate controls out of a 5.0. I need a/c and heat.

Doable?

A blown 351w and t-5 won't work in any car, with street tires a naturally aspirated 351w is all the t-5 will happily take even if its upgraded. I would take a 5.0 HO if you want efi and a t-5 on it, much cheaper, fits better, and you can still get the front wheels off the ground with a supercharger.

Post the vin and door date plate info, we need to know what we are dealing with here, for example if its an old I-6 auto car then it would be a waste of your time.

And are you normally a camaro person or something? Thats the first time ive ever seen anyone call the 64 1/2-66 mustangs "first gen" with the exception of a book reference saying you "could" look at them that way.

351pacecar said:
A blown 351w and t-5 won't work in any car, with street tires a naturally aspirated 351w is all the t-5 will happily take even if its upgraded. I would take a 5.0 HO if you want efi and a t-5 on it, much cheaper, fits better, and you can still get the front wheels off the ground with a supercharger.

Post the vin and door date plate info, we need to know what we are dealing with here, for example if its an old I-6 auto car then it would be a waste of your time.

And are you normally a camaro person or something? Thats the first time ive ever seen anyone call the 64 1/2-66 mustangs "first gen" with the exception of a book reference saying you "could" look at them that way.

No, I'm not a crapmaro guy.. I own a fox. I never looked into mustangs pre fox body. I r a noob @ the classics.

Either a factory toploader 4 spd (they held up behind 428's) or a tremec, possibly a tko would even be necessary depending on usage. If you use a 4 spd you can find stock mechanical linkage parts that will fit the car. The 4spd will also fit in the tranny tunnel and use the stock shifter hole, but all those parts are harder to find. Use an aftermarket scattershield if your going with a 4 spd, much easier to find than stock bellhousing.
I would personally just do a tremec tko with the cable clu,tch conversion, but you have the problem of needing a new transmission tunnel then, a t-5 will fit with some hammering but the tremec is too big or so ive been told. (more of a 70 person myself and they fit in those) Plus for the 5 spds you need the different crossmember welded in farther back (not like the fox cars where you can just grind spot welds and move it a little).

Edit: before you can really start we need to know about the car, if it was an auto you need a pedal setup and a few other additional things, and if it was a 6 cyl you would need the whole drivetrain swapped out (4 lug rotors)
Prob need new rear end anyways, that engine would need a 9" the stock 8" would be very questionable (somewhere between 7.5" and stock 8.8" in strength)