Thinking of installing 4:30 gears

w00t

Mar 26, 2004
Arlington TX
I am thinking about getting the 4:30's for my GT. Do you think this ratio too high for highway driving? I only drive about 50 miles a week on the highway. Also is there anything else required during installation? I have the speedcal and gear installation kit. Would I need to upgrade any suspension parts?

:spot:

• Sponsors (?)

w00t said:
I am thinking about getting the 4:30's for my GT. Do you think this ratio too high for highway driving? I only drive about 50 miles a week on the highway. Also is there anything else required during installation? I have the speedcal and gear installation kit. Would I need to upgrade any suspension parts?

:spot:

4.30 gears are not too much for a car that sees highway time. At least not in my opinion. Mustang92(Bill), KenB, Automatic Weapon, Starkie, and others all run 4.30 gears in their 5 speeds and I think most, if not all of those guys cars are daily drivers.

When you say you have a "gear installation kit", do you mean a bearing a seal kit ? If so, then the only other things you'll need is the speedcal(which you stated you have) and 2qts. of rear differential fluid.

I believe www.mustangtuning.com and www.stangstore.com have gear kits for the cheapest so you can go there and browse.

PS. I will be putting 4.30's in my daily driven automatic and I have no concerns.

I switched from 4.10's to 4.30's recently and absolutely love em. I drive about 15 miles a day on the hwy...at about 75mph im pulling 2700 rpms pretty comfortably. If you haven't done the LCA's you may want to look into that...also some DR's to help keep from making 1st gear totally useless....Can't help on the install but you'll love the results!!