Thinking of trading in ws6 or 03..

WildBill WS6

Dec 11, 2003
Thinking of trading in ws6 for 03..

I might want to get a 03 cobra. My ws6 currently runs 12.20 at 115 with cam and longtubes. But I am about to have to drop 2k on a 12 bolt rear end. With an 03 I could have a pully and chip and run 11's right? Also, do I have to worry about the rear on an 03? I love my ws6 but the 03 seems so easy to make fast. Also, what does a BONE stock 03 run average. I heard 1 ran a 12.4 stock. Let me know

• Sponsors (?)

WildBill WS6 said:
I might want to get a 03 cobra. My ws6 currently runs 12.20 at 115 with cam and longtubes. But I am about to have to drop 2k on a 12 bolt rear end. With an 03 I could have a pully and chip and run 11's right? Also, do I have to worry about the rear on an 03? I love my ws6 but the 03 seems so easy to make fast. Also, what does a BONE stock 03 run average. I heard 1 ran a 12.4 stock. Let me know

This is just my opinion - I dont think you should base your decision on which one you can modify to make it faster - because you can certainly attain that with either car. The 03 Cobra will respond much better to simple mods by the way. But - base it on which one rides better, looks better, etc. Its definately a personal decision.

peace

I agree with Tat98Cobra.
Averge driver will run low 13's with a 03 cobra, good drivers will see high 12's and people like bob cosby will see mid 12's.....lmao
The irs will be a problem and you'll be in the same boat as you are now, you'll end up spending lots of cash on the irs, the half shafts break like candy.
Honestly man i wouldn't trade the WS6 in, Willbill thats a nice car in itself and you honestly don't need a 03 unless it's just burning at you to buy one.
Yes it's easy/cheap to mod the 03 but $$$ will still be the factor on how fast you want to go, either it be in the WS6 or a 03 cobra, you have to pay to play.

WildBill WS6 said:

I don't know about trading to an 03 cobra. You won't get the $$ from your WS6. But if you were in the market for a new car, then I would definately get the 03/04 cobra. Realistically, an average driver who has learned to drive the IRS-equipped 03 cobras are going 12.6-12.8 on a well prepared track. Add DR's, exhaust and intake for low 12's. Pulley and chip for high 11's.

Be wary though, your halfshafts are upgraded over previous years, but not what I would recommend leaving stock if you plan for 11's. There is a diff. cover brace that can also be added to strenghten the rear end.

Like swee was saying...you can't run a whole lot of boost to that non-forged motor and expect it to hold up like ours.
You can run 8 lbs or so (I see this regularly on Y bodies).
There are some nice f-bodies, but they are a pain in the ass and were bonehead engineered for the most part. I like Y bodies but I'm still glad I didn't buy one.
GM just can't built the motor......and they can't build a car that holds up.

Get the '03 Cobra, it will be worth far more money in the long run than the F-body. The F-bodies are depreciating quickly, their value hit the crapper when GM stopped making them (I know because I used to own a 2000 Z28).

You'll never look back after you have the '03 Cobra... and you'll be making a good investment as far as depreciation goes.

Yeah but years from the F-bodies will go up in value. So few were built that they will be highley collectable IMO. I've been researching cobra recentley and their prices have taken a dive in the past few months. I remember the 93 Cobra was still getting $16K +. Now they are hovering around $10K. SVT is building too many cobras. They build more and more every year. I think this will hurt the values in the long run. But I think the Cobra is a better car as far as quality, reliability, handling and comfort. As far as performance, the F-body will give you more bang for your buck. If you want to drag race, the IRS will give you problems. I would save my money, put a little into the WS6 to get better performance.

Vic_Ferrari said:
I can't see how the F-body will give you more bang for the buck.
They are cheaper to buy but expensive as hell to make sizable gains with......
I totally agree with that statement.

Also, most 98-00 F-bodies with low miles are worth about as much as a 93 Cobra with moderately high miles. The Cobra's (even the older ones) do not devalue near as bad as the F-bodies have... yet, the Cobra is more expensive to insure due to the limited run. GM made scores of the Camaros and Trans Ams, they are everywhere...

spanky442 said:
Yeah but years from the F-bodies will go up in value. So few were built that they will be highley collectable IMO. I've been researching cobra recentley and their prices have taken a dive in the past few months. I remember the 93 Cobra was still getting $16K +. Now they are hovering around $10K. SVT is building too many cobras. They build more and more every year. I think this will hurt the values in the long run. But I think the Cobra is a better car as far as quality, reliability, handling and comfort. As far as performance, the F-body will give you more bang for your buck. If you want to drag race, the IRS will give you problems. I would save my money, put a little into the WS6 to get better performance.

I got my car to drive, not sleep under a car cover and hope it recovers it's cost in 25 years. Bang for buck (beyond purchase price) doesn't even come close. How much will it cost to take a WS6 to get to 500hp? It costs me $2k in DIY parts. How about 600hp? I can put a KB on the cobra and it will still be under warantee. (Yes, if you do nothing else, Ford will warantee a KB with stock pulley)

Friedchicken said:
I can put a KB on the cobra and it will still be under warantee. (Yes, if you do nothing else, Ford will warantee a KB with stock pulley)

OK, I'm not going to raise the BS flag yet... but please explain this statement!

Yes, I believe if my radio shorts out I'm sure I can get it fixed under warranty with a KB installed. If I put a rod through the side of my block and I have a KB on the car I'm pretty sure Ford is going to laugh at me! Please don’t try and tell me that this is all covered under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act either…. that’s a crock of crap. I can pretty much guarantee the complete powertrain warranty will be voided if a KB is installed.

U.M.

Sorry to say but if have a KB, you also have no warranty unless your dealer gave you the ok but the chances of this is very very very slim.
Don't forget about the guy on svtperformance(10thancobra) he lost his warranty over Ford saying he used OC booster in his car.
I talk to him some(other then the forums) and i honestly don't believe he use any but the point is, Ford(dealerships) is doing their best not to warranty these cars.