This makes absolutely NO sense to me. Headgasket Q???

dderek

Feb 29, 2004
OK, drove out to where my car is being stored right now, to bolt on my twisted wedge heads with the new springs for my new custom cam, woo.

THEN, i notice i left my torque wrench sitting at home.

So, im sitting there staring at the motor and i notice the coolant passages on the gaskets are about as big as a tip of a pencil.
and that the passages on the block and cylinder heads is about 10 times bigger.

Obviously, with the blue rings matching the size of the passages, this was done for a reason. BUT WHY?
I would think youd want maximum flow around this area...:shrug:

Heres some pictures to show my point.
wtf1.jpg

wtf2.jpg

They are Fel-Pro 1011-2 gaskets, listed as the suggested gaskets on trickflows website.

Any reason for this? does it make any sense to anyone?

Derek:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Do not touch them. I forget the reason why but they are like that for a reason. I did tfs H/C/I and the instructions tell you to keep them like that even though they are way smaller. My car runs at a nice cool temp. I even consulted my local speedshop on the same concern and he told me the same thing

Do not touch them. I forget the reason why but they are like that for a reason. I did tfs H/C/I and the instructions tell you to keep them like that even though they are way smaller. My car runs at a nice cool temp. I even consulted my local speedshop on the same concern and he told me the same thing

my last rebuild i didnt even notice the difference, and slapped the same gaskets on, and with all my aftermarket cooling system **** my car never broke 180F.
but, i still dont understand it:shrug:

my last rebuild i didnt even notice the difference, and slapped the same gaskets on, and with all my aftermarket cooling system **** my car never broke 180F.
but, i still dont understand it:shrug:

I dont either man. They told me it had something to do with regulating water flow or some ****. Im sure someone else with the correct answer will chime in soon

They restrict flow, so it will circulate through the engine/heads versus taking the least path of resistance. That's also why head gaskets are labeled "front" on them and block the front coolant passages.

Edit: I'm running the same heads and gaskets with absolutely no cooling problems whatsoever. Just make sure you trim the intake gaskets around the water ports if you use the Fel-Pro 1250's.

like it was said earlier. i did a post on this earlier when i was wondering the same thing. the passages need resistence so the coolant doesnt just flow where it wants. basically it forces it where it needs to go, regardless of what the sidenotes of trimming say