those with tint come in!!!!!

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
so after 7 texas summers, ive come to the conclusion that its finally time for some tint. question is, how does tint look with the rear matrix?? my sis had a 98 GT thaqt looked horrible b/c the tint wouldnt stick over the matrix, and the "professionals" wouldnt warranty it b/c they said it may or may not stick. wtf??!?! anyway, pics would help, tips are good too.

btw, im going for 20% windows, limo quarters and ~15% rear

• Sponsors (?)

Do yourself a favor and get it done right with good tint.

Go to one of these places (since your location is Austin)
Custom Sound
3909 N. IH 35
Austin, TX 78722
Phone: 512-302-4115

Custom Sound
8241 Burnet Road
Austin, TX 78757
Phone: 512-454-3572

Sunbusters
11655 Research Boulevard
Austin, TX 78759
Phone: 512-794-8468

Have them put on Forumla One Pinnacle Series in whatever percentage you want. This is a ceramic not metallic tint it blocks heat much better and does not interfere with your electronics like the metallic can. It is also extremely scratch resistant.
Those places listed are certified Formula One Dealers and will garuntee their work for life!

There is only one type of window film i would use over Formula One and that is Huper Optik. Unfortunatly the closest Huper Optik installer is about 700 miles away from me. You may have better luck.

http://www.huperoptik.com/Automotive.asp?cat=NaviAuto.inc

I have 35 on the drivers windows and 15 in the rears. This is the Pinnacle Series from Formula One.
View attachment 375941

When i had mine done they just put an opaque black nylon stip over the matrix on the back and tint below it. It does shrink the size of the rear window somewhat but you get used to it pretty quick.

+1...Just have them put the vinyl strip over the matrix. If u just put tint over it it will bubble up & look horrible. U cant even see the vinyl strip from the outside if u get dark tint.

Mine is 15% all the way round BTW....Here are some pics...

DSCN1799.jpg

DSCN1674.jpg

DSCN1690.jpg

DSCN1675.jpg

Shops I know around here just cut from a large piece of vinyl. I had mine done the same way.

I have also heard of guys painting over the matrix from inside the car before they tint. Obviously this would be a lot of work and the vinyl really isn't bad except mine has a small crack in it after 2 years.

i had my tint shop spray paint the dot matrix black for like $15 then had the rear window tinted 5% up to it... its not like you use that 4 inches to see out of anyways :shrug:

get the dot matrix painted or just get the vinyl strip and you'll be happy with the results. :nice:

15% is nice (specially in Red car like EPIKGT's).

But if you do get 15%, good luck backing up in night with or without street lighting.
My old MR2 had a 20%, and it was damn near impossible to back up in dark

Bastrop TINT is where i had mine done. The lady has like 25 years of experiance.....awsome job on e and my dads cars. The dotted matrix was left and I have had ZERO issues in what over 2 years. She just told me to run my finger over it like 2-3 times that week and it would be fine....and it is. You have seen my car Derek, sure your not looking at it....but if it wasnt good it would look weird and catch your eye.

legal on sides and quarters and 20% rear I think. Car is 100% legal and with the dark rear the 1/4 windows are very dark. Its hard to see anything from the outside.

Well sadly when removing the old tint that bubbled, some of the lines decided to come off when peeling it off. It's a MAJOR PITA to remove tint off of a window with defroster lines and if you must do this task, be extra careful. I just have my defroster lines unhooked, as its not a problem in the area of which I live.

ok so where do you get this vinyl strip from?.....do you put it on the inside over the already tinted window?
thanks

The tint guy suggested doing it, so I said go for it. He tinted up to where the dots start, then put the vinyl on the outside. The vinyl comes in different colors,
but Im sure it would be hard to match perfectly. He showed me a sample of the yellow vinyl, but it was slightly more orange so I went with black.

incorrect, I live in Philly PA and rear defrost is a necessity and I have no probs with rear tint

Well in your case you'll definitly need to keep the defroster. I just wasn't able to remove the tint without damaging some of my lines. The old tint that I had on there before had began to bubble and I thought it was due to the rear defroster being used, though can't exactly confirm that by any means :shrugs: