Throttle body and spacer...

fiveohwblow

Official Member
Jul 21, 2005
So I am sure this has been asked before, but as tech and peoples cars progress things tend to change a bit...

I am just curious if I am finding correctly that there are not many players out there for aftermarket TB's for the V-6, as in I have only found 1:BBK...

That being said, has anyone done the larger TB and spacer, and if so what did you gain? I know not many will have dynoed, but what about et's or even SOTP(Seat Of The Pants) feel? Thanks for your help guys!:nice: :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I had a spacer put in when my cold air intake was put in, along with my Flowmasters. Since it was all done at once, I can't tell you what the spacer itself did, but that CAI/spacer/exhaust combo gave my car a little more power all through the RPM's. There's a nice little boost of torque above 3000. It still won't take a 96-98 GT, though. It's enough extra power that you notice it, but it won't set the world on fire.

I had a spacer put in when my cold air intake was put in, along with my Flowmasters. Since it was all done at once, I can't tell you what the spacer itself did, but that CAI/spacer/exhaust combo gave my car a little more power all through the RPM's. There's a nice little boost of torque above 3000. It still won't take a 96-98 GT, though. It's enough extra power that you notice it, but it won't set the world on fire.

I appreciate your input! So you did not have an aftermarket TB put on though? I have dont most all other simple bot ons including converting to duel exhaust, which I did in 99 with a 99GT exhaust... This is the last simple bolt on air restriction that I see, and I just want to know whether or not its a waste of $250 bones.... They claim 5-7 hp so.....:shrug:

The guys at the shop where I had the work done said a throttle body and headers would not be worth it; would cost a lot of labor for hardly any gain, so I passed on that. They also said if I really want to wake up the car without nitrous or supercharger, get 3.55 or 3.73 gears. But I don't know if I like the idea of permanently raising the RPM's of the engine. I do a lot of highway driving.

The guys at the shop where I had the work done said a throttle body and headers would not be worth it; would cost a lot of labor for hardly any gain, so I passed on that. They also said if I really want to wake up the car without nitrous or supercharger, get 3.55 or 3.73 gears. But I don't know if I like the idea of permanently raising the RPM's of the engine. I do a lot of highway driving.

TB & headers alone isn't worth it, but in a combo with more stuff you will see more gain :nice:

A TB spacer doesn't do that much, barely anything at all as you said. An intake manifold spacer increases runner length and messes with the geometry of the air bouncing off the valves, that can add a little more. Only downside is, no one really makes them. I managed to get a 1/2" G-10 phenolic spacer for about $100. Gave more kick than a CAI so it has to be at least 2 hp lol. Someone supposedly dyno'd a manifold spacer at 8ft-lbs of torque increase in the low end, nothing changed in the high end. Larger TB's are just as useless on stock/bolt on V6's. You aren't pulling enough air in to need one, so as dynamics show, the air slows down and you loose volumetric efficiency.

A TB spacer doesn't do that much, barely anything at all as you said. An intake manifold spacer increases runner length and messes with the geometry of the air bouncing off the valves, that can add a little more. Only downside is, no one really makes them. I managed to get a 1/2" G-10 phenolic spacer for about $100. Gave more kick than a CAI so it has to be at least 2 hp lol. Someone supposedly dyno'd a manifold spacer at 8ft-lbs of torque increase in the low end, nothing changed in the high end. Larger TB's are just as useless on stock/bolt on V6's. You aren't pulling enough air in to need one, so as dynamics show, the air slows down and you loose volumetric efficiency.

Well said :nice:

The only reason I got mine is because I plan on getting heads, cam and intake mods so a bigger TB is better :)

Thank all of you guys for your responses. I totally understand what increasing the runner length on the intake manifold does for torque as I did it on my 5.0 right before I added my Vortech with a half inch phenolic spacer. I was just curious as to if on the V-6 with all the bolt ons if it was worth it to do the TB and Spacer...:shrug: :nice:

I just noticed the other day as I was looking at how large the entire intake tubing and mass air were, and then BAM this choked and contorted little 40 some odd mm throttle body. It simply cannot create any kind of venturi affect or help in any way. I would think it was a way of restricting. I mean, its still 3.8 liters of displacement needing air....:shrug:

Intake, pulley, dual exhaust is the very basics. Then I would say gears and t-lok, personally I prefer the Detroit TruTrac because of it's strength and the fact that you don't have to worry about clutches wearing out like the Ford T-lok. After that it's all beyond "bolt ons" involving ported intakes, heads, cam, stroker, boost, nitrous etc.

Ok well what about a cam? What is the general concensus on getting the proper cam, how much did it cost you, and what did you gain? Thanks again guys. Just trying to determine which order I need to get this taken care of. Stock 98 sixer is just weak sauce compared to my supercharged five oh...

Ok well what about a cam? What is the general concensus on getting the proper cam, how much did it cost you, and what did you gain? Thanks again guys. Just trying to determine which order I need to get this taken care of. Stock 98 sixer is just weak sauce compared to my supercharged five oh...

A cam alone wont help much, but if you go with SuperSix ans their stage 3 package you will gain up too 100hp NA. Just remember 1 ithem alone wont do much, it's the complese package that will give you your gain. The better you manage to get the parts to work together, the etter the gain :)

Installing itsn't all that hard if you dare to use basic tools. All you have to do is to bolt off, and bolt back up to tq spec.

But if you choose to go with cam alone send me a PM, I got a guy that will get you the best cam for your setup.
I know he charge $400 for cam and rods.
Just remember if you get too big cam you need to change the valvesprings too ;)

My plan is to get ported intakes (upper and lower) and the heads from SuperSix and then go with a cam and rods from this guy. All the high hp V6 guys I know of use him.

Just my experience

What "is" and "is not" worth it to add performance upgrades to your V6. Most of the negative input about upgrades comes from GT owners (God's gift to the Mustang world).
If you're a V6 owner and you want to improve your performance I have found that adding headers and any type of dual exhaust has its benefits. Your V6 breaths better.
In reality these upgrades add about 10-12 hp to the rear wheels. Add an underdrive pully maybe another 5-7 hp. Forget the manufacturer's hype. Are these upgrades worth it? It depends on your personal goals for the performance of your V6. Will it perform better? Yes. Will it sound better? Yes. Will it beat up on a stock GT? No.
Another reality is that you've spent about $1000 for less than a 10 percent hp gain. BUT...if you build from there (ported intakes and a 65mm BBK TB) you've now doubled your gains to 20-24 hp to the rear wheels for about another $1000. Add stage 2+ heads a roller cam-roller lifters-roller rockers-hardened push rods and you've added 100 hp...So for about another $4000 you have 270hp to the wheels. Add forged pistons and a 30 over bore...310hp, and you're ready for a power adder (turbo-sc-nos) and you'll double that to 650hp...you blow out your 7.5 rearend add a 8.8 $1100.00...subframe and control arms $600.00 ...seeing a GT disappear in your rear view they're looking at your 3.8 badge...priceless.
If a GT adds the same upgrades...:jaw:

You can do it; Super Six Motorsports sells cam & cylinder head packages anywhere from $1700 to $2400, but that's just for the parts.. add in labor costs to have it installed, and suddenly, you're in the "why not just swap in a V8" range.

V6 = cheaper insurance, even when modified ;)

If you do a engine swap, and don't tell your insurance you will have problems if you get into an accident.