Throttle linkage

06cobra

Feb 12, 2004
What have you guyz done for yours?

I have Holley carb, and mechanical linkage direct to lever on pedal. I was told that since my springs are attach and go towards the firewall my carb will get premature throttle shaft failure. I was told I should hook up the springs so they go opposite of the throttle linkage movement... is this true?

My current setup looks like this
DCP_3796.JPG

this setup looks perfect, BUT it is for a throttle cable, I have mechanical linkage.
StainLinkageCablewebA.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Both pulling from the same direction could cause problems as there will be a constant load on one side of the seals, If you put the spring out front it would ballance the load on the internal seals so that it was distibuted more evenly across the entire sealing surface? Just my 2 Cents and they arent worth much here lately :rlaugh:

I got my spring going toward the front, simply because if the linkage comes loose, it goes to idle instead of WOT.
:shrug: what?

anyway i think he meant well. 68 Coop do you realize the spring will always bring the carb back to closed no matter if its in front or back.

anyway, i've had mine on there like the first picture for 5 plus years as a daily drive and no problems. i think this is a thing you need not worry about. if it does make it leak faster, it's still gonna last a long time.

streetgrande69 said:
:shrug: what?

anyway i think he meant well. 68 Coop do you realize the spring will always bring the carb back to closed no matter if its in front or back.

anyway, i've had mine on there like the first picture for 5 plus years as a daily drive and no problems. i think this is a thing you need not worry about. if it does make it leak faster, it's still gonna last a long time.

That's sort of why they're called "return springs" haha

Part number please?

The reason for this concern, is after 10,000 miles my throttle shaft on my Road Demon is leaking................ since i'm upgrading carb's anyways, I am gonna do this right.

thanks for the responses.

68 coop........no harm done, but leave that pooch alone LOL

06cobra said:
Part number please?

The reason for this concern, is after 10,000 miles my throttle shaft on my Road Demon is leaking................ since i'm upgrading carb's anyways, I am gonna do this right.

thanks for the responses.

68 coop........no harm done, but leave that pooch alone LOL

It is Part # Sum-G1327 for a grand total of $9.39 plus shipping. I originally purchaced it because it was cheap and when I got it I realized that it looked pretty nice also.:nice:

only potential problem with the summit kit is that it mounts in the hole where he (06cobra) has his linkage attached. Not saying that it won't work, but it would be a good idea to examine the contents before ordering.

That Summitt kit does look good but auto manufacturers used throttle return springs for decades with no problems so an early failure indicates excessive spring tension. You need one spring to return and a lighter spring in case of failure. Neither needs to be a monster spring and the lighter one should never be under stress until the other one fails (just enough to pull the throttle closed).

302 coupe said:
only potential problem with the summit kit is that it mounts in the hole where he (06cobra) has his linkage attached. Not saying that it won't work, but it would be a good idea to examine the contents before ordering.

From what I remember,(I have since changed my linkage) I hooked the spring on the carb side of the stock throttle rod, then a small washer from the kit and then the cotter pin.

alot of throttle linkage problems (wear) are caused by over extending the throttle during wot. disconnect the linkage and have someone hold the pedal down all of the way. then rotate the carb linkage until it's all of the way open. the linkage should slip right into the hole where it attaches the the carb. even if it's off my just 1/4", over time, it will wear the throttle shaft.