Roush Throughts on the New Whipple Blower (475rwhp & 450 rwtq)

So, the new Whipple blower based on the Ford GT blower is advertised to give 475RWHP and over 450RWTRQ on a stock engine @ 8 lbs of boost. It includes:

aluminum intake manifold,
38lb/hr fuel injectors,
Ford Racing spark plugs and
PCM flash tool,
95mm MAF
cold air induction system and air-bypass system

I personally miss the sound of a whining blower and the instant torque of a positive displacement system and might consider one.

Any thoughts or comments on the new system and how long a stock 3v may hold up?

• Sponsors (?)

are you suggesting you are considering trading 558rwhp for 475rwhp?

Well, the other day I was test driving a '04 Cobra and had a blast. I had forgotten how much fun a positive displacement blower can be. All the torque and HP are available starting around 2500 rpm. My Vortech builds torque and Hp as rpm's increase, which means I don't get that hard pull from down low in the rpm's.

The system wouldn't be run at 8 lbs. of boost for long as I'm going to be building the motor over the winter so that regardless of what system I am running I can run 20+ pounds of boost.

So, am I going to swap blowers? I really don't know. I love the way the Vortech just keeps pulling and pulling, and with the way the power is put to the ground, there is alot of usable power which I would loose if I went to a + setup. What I mean by that is having all of your torque and HP available off of idle is kewl and makes for lots of fun, but if I want a car the gets up and moves with the least amount of effort and is rather gentle on the motor, centi blowers are a good way to go. I am seriously considering the T-trim upgrade, but want to thoroughly explore all possibilities before I dump some more $$.

Low end power is nice, but all screw type superchargers do is keep you from having to downshift. 400hp at 2500 rpm will only do so much on the street, alot of tire spin.

I've driven alot of cars myself, and they all seem like a blast, because it's not what i drive normally.

Go for the T trim, how much power will a t support?

Low end power is nice, but all screw type superchargers do is keep you from having to downshift. 400hp at 2500 rpm will only do so much on the street, alot of tire spin.

I've driven alot of cars myself, and they all seem like a blast, because it's not what i drive normally.

Go for the T trim, how much power will a t support?

The V-1 T-Trim is capable of:

Fits engines up to 825 horsepower - not sure what this number really means as there are many folks around here using a T-trim and putting down well over 1000 rwhp.

Maximum airflow: 1,200 CFM
Maximum boost pressure: 26 PSI

My 2 cents.

Billy,

go out and test drive a 06-07 S281 SC. Preferably the 07 since it's rated at 465 hp. ( the car has the 475 kit ) If you have already then you shouldn't have to talk yourself into a new blower ie: a Saleen Series VI or the Kenne Bell 2.6.

The thing is that the new whipple/saleen/KB make sooo much torque down low it is so much more enjoyable on a daily basis. When I say this I mean you can drive the car fast and use all of your hard earned HP and Tq without revving the son of a bitch all the way out. This is coming from a pushrod guy. I actually am working on a 347 set up, Saleen intake, foxlake lower and Novi 2000 for the fox.

Most importantly though...... I know of quite a few guys already that are having motors fail with 10psi and a perfect tune ( this on the Saleen blower ).

If you wanted my advice I would tell you to sell the Votech set up , build you motor this winter and install the KB blowzilla 2.6. If money grew on trees this is what I would do right now this very moment.

My 2 cents.

Billy,

go out and test drive a 06-07 S281 SC. Preferably the 07 since it's rated at 465 hp. ( the car has the 475 kit ) If you have already then you shouldn't have to talk yourself into a new blower ie: a Saleen Series VI or the Kenne Bell 2.6.

The thing is that the new whipple/saleen/KB make sooo much torque down low it is so much more enjoyable on a daily basis. When I say this I mean you can drive the car fast and use all of your hard earned HP and Tq without revving the son of a bitch all the way out. This is coming from a pushrod guy. I actually am working on a 347 set up, Saleen intake, foxlake lower and Novi 2000 for the fox.

Most importantly though...... I know of quite a few guys already that are having motors fail with 10psi and a perfect tune ( this on the Saleen blower ).

If you wanted my advice I would tell you to sell the Votech set up , build you motor this winter and install the KB blowzilla 2.6. If money grew on trees this is what I would do right now this very moment.

Hey Marcus,

I truly like the new KB and after looking at the prices of all the blowers, KB is a much better choice as it is truly a complete system and for aorund the same price as the new Whipple.

The price for pushing the car over 600 rwhp is going up significantly if I choose to drop the whole Vortech thing. The cost of the new fuel system, forging & balancing the motor, labor. and the upgrade to the T-Trim will run me around $5,000 and that will allow me to take the motor up to a maximum of around 800-900 rwhp (other mods will be necessary, ofcourse). If I go to a different blower set-up all together that will run me around
$10,000.....

Well, after writing this response, it has become appartent to me that just maybe I will stay with the Vortechs....

Besides, my wife want a new KB for the Cobra - she sure isn't going to get any agruments from me on that request. So, the end result is I'll probably have a KB one way or the other:nice:

Sounds like a good plan especially if you are already considering upgrading the Cobra with one. I agree, it gets pricey especially all at once.

How many psi are you running on the 05 right now to get 558 hp? I'd say you are already around 20 psi? Most guys who are not running cams or have headwork are needing around 22-24 pis to get 600 rwhp.

Sounds like a good plan especially if you are already considering upgrading the Cobra with one. I agree, it gets pricey especially all at once.

How many psi are you running on the 05 right now to get 558 hp? I'd say you are already around 20 psi? Most guys who are not running cams or have headwork are needing around 22-24 pis to get 600 rwhp.

PSI? Wel, I'm not 100% sure at this time. I screwed up the line on my boost guage a few months ago and haven't bothered to fix it.

The first couple of rounds of dyno tuning we did on the car we were seeing 9-11#/boost. At 9#s we were seeing 460 rwhp. Since the initial runs, I have dropped pulley size 3 times.