thumper headed 5.0 vs 01 gt

I had an 87, 302, GT40P heads with valve job, GT40/Explorer intake, E cam, 1.7 rockers, u/d pulleys, shorty headers, o/r prochamber, mac flowpath catback, 70mm TB and EGR plate, CAI, MSD 6AL ignition, a/c delete, 75mm MAF, 19# injectors, 5 speed, 3.73s, lots of cooling mods like an electric fan, 180* tstat. Untuned, and with a stock MAF and TB, the car made 260/280 on the dyno. Once I added the MAF and TB, the car really woke up and felt far less restricted. I wouldn't be suprised to see that if it had been properly tuned by a shop that the car would have made closer to 300/300. The a/f and timing were way off on the dyno, it was run the day after we finished the motor and had tuned by a timing light, our nose, and the fact that we no longer heard pinging lol....

• Sponsors (?)

Are you serious?!? :rlaugh: A Mach 1 would smack that 5.0L around like a Red Headed Step-child....no contest. They're honest to goodness mid/low-13 second cars. That 5.0L is a low-14/high-13 second car at best.

As for the bolt on 5.0L and the '01 GT...they're pretty close in the horsepower department. You've got to remember, although the 5.0L has ported heads and intake....they're still the stock ported heads and intake. It'll probably be a drivers race, but there won't be any hardcore "kill" in either direction.

lol thats what a guy down here said with his c6 z06 and got his ass handed to him by my buddy lol. yes my buddy sprayed a 100 shot but he tore that vette up.

lol thats what a guy down here said with his c6 z06 and got his ass handed to him by my buddy lol. yes my buddy sprayed a 100 shot but he tore that vette up.

So what's you're point? Your buddy cheated and ran 100-shot of nitrous during an all motor race to outrun a Corvette? I could do that in a Cavalier and lay a hurting down on a Mustang. It still doesn't change the fact that with the mods the 5.0L has, it won't come close to the Mach 1 and will be a drivers race with the '01 GT. :shrug:

Are you serious?!? :rlaugh: A Mach 1 would smack that 5.0L around like a Red Headed Step-child....no contest. They're honest to goodness mid/low-13 second cars. That 5.0L is a low-14/high-13 second car at best.

As for the bolt on 5.0L and the '01 GT...they're pretty close in the horsepower department. You've got to remember, although the 5.0L has ported heads and intake....they're still the stock ported heads and intake. It'll probably be a drivers race, but there won't be any hardcore "kill" in either direction.

I agree and disagree. I have seen 99+ bolt on gts run a best of 15.3's all night. My exhaust 5.0 5spd would run 15.019. stock ported heads with oversized valves with the right supporting gear will run into the 12's. been proven especially with thumper heads. Not to put done the mach one but the 5.0 is no slouch with mild HCI. I havent seen his car first hand so I cant tell either way. but, I think he will take me though. we'll see this summer I guess. He is suppose to race a z28 in the spring with mild bolt ons. ill let you guys know what happens then.

I agree and disagree. I have seen 99+ bolt on gts run a best of 15.3's all night. My exhaust 5.0 5spd would run 15.019. stock ported heads with oversized valves with the right supporting gear will run into the 12's. been proven especially with thumper heads. Not to put done the mach one but the 5.0 is no slouch with mild HCI. I havent seen his car first hand so I cant tell either way. but, I think he will take me though. we'll see this summer I guess. He is suppose to race a z28 in the spring with mild bolt ons. ill let you guys know what happens then.

No, you've seen poor drivers in '99+ GT's with bolt ons run a best of 15.3. The cars themselves will run a full second faster than that on plain old regular radial tires in stock trim with a competent driver and well into the 13's with a few "minor" bolt ons and some traction.

I do agree that stock ported heads/intake with the right supporting mods will dip into the 12's, but not a full weight car with only headers, thumper heads, a mild cam, and ported lower explorer intake. These cars you hear about getting into the 12's on thumper heads have ALL of the bolt ons, plus weight reduction plus suspension work. It's not as easy as just throwing on a set of heads and a few supporting components and calling it a day. The Fox Mustangs are mid/high-14 second cars stock. It's not difficult to run 12's, but they do require some measure of creative ingenuity to knock a full 1.5-2.0 seconds off their time. More so than what you previously described above.

There must have been a 1300lb drivers driving those 99+ GT's. High 13's to low 14's are where these cars are stock and with bolt-ons it should be a lot better than 15.3's. Very poor driving I guess.

So what's you're point? Your buddy cheated and ran 100-shot of nitrous during an all motor race to outrun a Corvette? I could do that in a Cavalier and lay a hurting down on a Mustang. It still doesn't change the fact that with the mods the 5.0L has, it won't come close to the Mach 1 and will be a drivers race with the '01 GT. :shrug:

my point is thats a 470rwhp vette on motor and that 5.0 is only around 400s. and you couldnt spray a cavalier to beat a mustang unless u heavily build the motor lol that thing would explode from a 100 shot lol.

that z06 too is like 2 seconds faster than a mach 1 lol and traps 20mph higher. so all i am saying is a modded 5.0 with those mods is going to be in the 12s.

I have seen those things make more horsepower on motor than the 4.6s and thats with heads and cams. but who knows until ya race one.

here is just a time that ill show you to show you what im talking about for those 5.0s
http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Mustang-Timeslip-5354.html

im not sure but i think it will be closer then what everyone thinks.. a 5.0 with bolt on's and a 75shot of gas would be close to the one he's talking about right?? i raced my cousins 91 coupe in my 04 gt both of us have bolt on's and gears i have 4.10's he has 3.55 and he was spraying a 75shot and i got him twice killed him from a start and he was hanging with me from a roll but i edged him out and let off.. so i vote close race if you have bolt on's and gears

im not sure but i think it will be closer then what everyone thinks.. a 5.0 with bolt on's and a 75shot of gas would be close to the one he's talking about right?? i raced my cousins 91 coupe in my 04 gt both of us have bolt on's and gears i have 4.10's he has 3.55 and he was spraying a 75shot and i got him twice killed him from a start and he was hanging with me from a roll but i edged him out and let off.. so i vote close race if you have bolt on's and gears

The guy only has an exhaust and it's an auto:shrug: I honestly think he's going to get beat solid. His friend has a freshly rebuilt 90 5 spd. with LT's, thumper heads, trickflow stage 1 cam, tmoss ported lower explorer intake and 3.55's

my point is thats a 470rwhp vette on motor and that 5.0 is only around 400s. and you couldnt spray a cavalier to beat a mustang unless u heavily build the motor lol that thing would explode from a 100 shot lol.

that z06 too is like 2 seconds faster than a mach 1 lol and traps 20mph higher. so all i am saying is a modded 5.0 with those mods is going to be in the 12s.

I have seen those things make more horsepower on motor than the 4.6s and thats with heads and cams. but who knows until ya race one.

here is just a time that ill show you to show you what im talking about for those 5.0s
http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Mustang-Timeslip-5354.html

Alright, so the guy in the Vette was a poor driver. Or perhaps he wasn't taking the race seriously. It still doesn't say anything for the potential of each car? Are you trying to tell me because one modified Mustang on nitrous outran a ZO6 and that since the ZO6 is generally 2-seconds faster than a Mach 1, that a Mustang with mostly stock components a couple of minor bolt ons and no nitrous at all should be able to do the same? You're running in circles with your attempt at reasoning here?!? While we're on it, what does a modded, nitrous gulping 5.0L have to do with any part of this discussion and how does comparing it to a ZO6 serve any purpose in this debate? Not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see how these claims you make add up as relevant to the discussion? :shrug:

And again....you're not comparing the same mods. The one you quoted in your example below was running Aftermarket high compression pistons, Trick flow heads and intake, aftermarket cam, full exhaust, upgraded throttle body, upgraded ignition components, under drive pulley’s, gears aftermarket transmission and some weight reduction.

....that's still a far cry from ported E7TE castings, an explorer intake a mild cam and a set of headers described in the original vehicle . There's about a 90rwhp/80rwtq difference between the car you've used as your example and the one old_blue described above!

I'm not sure who you're arguing with here?!? :scratch: I already stated that a 5.0L with all the bolt on's and weight reduction could run 12's. Just not without effort and not in the trim of the vehicle described by old_blue above.

Alright, so the guy in the Vette was a poor driver. Or perhaps he wasn't taking the race seriously. It still doesn't say anything for the potential of each car? Are you trying to tell me because one modified Mustang on nitrous outran a ZO6 and that since the ZO6 is generally 2-seconds faster than a Mach 1, that a Mustang with mostly stock components a couple of minor bolt ons and no nitrous at all should be able to do the same? You're running in circles with your attempt at reasoning here?!? While we're on it, what does a modded, nitrous gulping 5.0L have to do with any part of this discussion and how does comparing it to a ZO6 serve any purpose in this debate? Not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see how these claims you make add up as relevant to the discussion? :shrug:

And again....you're not comparing the same mods. The one you quoted in your example below was running Aftermarket high compression pistons, Trick flow heads and intake, aftermarket cam, full exhaust, upgraded throttle body, upgraded ignition components, under drive pulley’s, gears aftermarket transmission and some weight reduction.

....that's still a far cry from ported E7TE castings, an explorer intake a mild cam and a set of headers described in the original vehicle . There's about a 90rwhp/80rwtq difference between the car you've used as your example and the one old_blue described above!

I'm not sure who you're arguing with here?!? :scratch: I already stated that a 5.0L with all the bolt on's and weight reduction could run 12's. Just not without effort and not in the trim of the vehicle described by old_blue above.

yes i know what you are saying and all i am getting at it you read my first post on this topic is my buddy on motor with those mods that he is listing that he wants to race ran an 8.1 at 87mph. that was on motor. his juice got him trapping 94. and thats also at an alt of 2500ft. that is what i am saying. I dont think a new edge GT with just exhaust is going to trap 87mph.

yes a bolton 5.0 compares to a 4.6 but once that 5.0 gets into the heads and cams stuff the 4.6 wont stand a chance.

but yea its whatever man just race that 5.0 get it over with. come back and tell us what happened.

No, you've seen poor drivers in '99+ GT's with bolt ons run a best of 15.3. The cars themselves will run a full second faster than that on plain old regular radial tires in stock trim with a competent driver and well into the 13's with a few "minor" bolt ons and some traction.

I do agree that stock ported heads/intake with the right supporting mods will dip into the 12's, but not a full weight car with only headers, thumper heads, a mild cam, and ported lower explorer intake. These cars you hear about getting into the 12's on thumper heads have ALL of the bolt ons, plus weight reduction plus suspension work. It's not as easy as just throwing on a set of heads and a few supporting components and calling it a day. The Fox Mustangs are mid/high-14 second cars stock. It's not difficult to run 12's, but they do require some measure of creative ingenuity to knock a full 1.5-2.0 seconds off their time. More so than what you previously described above.

agreed, I did say in that previous post "supporting gear" meaning bolt ons suspension and what not. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying a merely thumper headed 5.0 will hang with a mach one. and by what I said in the previous post in the first paragraph was demonstrating that the car is only as good as the driving will let it run. I think for the most part we are agreeing under different terms I guess.

thats why i said im not sure if you have any mods.. in that case yea you will loose

lol thats exactly what i think. that 5.0 weighs less than that new edge and is probably putting down more power as well. so with simple math the new edge will lose. if u want to beat him make sure u got a full exhaust and put a good stall on that thing with good tires and launch the heck out of it and you should be fine.