Time to build a motor - Need help selecting components

MeanMussy

Founding Member
May 25, 2000
Louisville, KY
It's time to pull the trigger, looking for some input on combos.

Goals: This will be a street motor before anything else. It's soul purpose will be to keep a very large **** eating grin on my face. This means regardless of if a minivan or an F-body is next to me at a stop light, I'm going to take off hard. I will also make a few visits to the track, but not to be the baddest boy out there, just for a chance to beat on my car w/out getting pulled over. Going around corners and hitting off ramps is more important to me than my 60' time. I'm shooting for 400HP at the wheels. But, this thing also has to be able to get me between towns on the highway. So I need to be able to pull 20mpg when cruising. I know I won't touch that in town, and I'm fine with that. I just want to be able to drive this thing between towns w/out taking out a second mortgage for gas money. I will still be running things like EGR, power steering, AC, etc.

The rest of the car: It is a 92 GT. The car is lowered w/ Steeda suspension all around. Yes, traction will be a problem. I currently have a 3.73s in a 4 lug disc brake rear end. I intend to stay w/ the rear discs, but I will probably swap over to a SN95 rear end w/ 17" wheels, which will possible bring 3.27s or 3.55s. I am sticking w/ my TKO 5spd trans. There's a high flow fuel pump in the tank. The subframes are already in, tq box reinforcements are coming. I will be tuning via a TwEECer. And there is a 100hp shot setting on the shelf, ready to go into the car.

The goodies: These are my initial guesses and this is where I need help from the experiences (not unsupported opinions) of others. As you can see, I still have a lot of undecided items.

Motor: 408W, Roller Block, 4340 rods, forged crank.
Heads: AFR185 (what valve springs?)
Cam: Custom Hyd Roller
Intake: Trick Flow (??)
Throttle Body: ??
MAF: ??
Injectors: 30lbs (already have them)
Headers: Shorty Swaps(car is lowered, worried about long tubes dragging grass)
Rockers: ??
Dampener: ??
Everything else: ??

• Sponsors (?)

I would say that comp cams magnum roller rockers would be a good choice. Don't cheap out when it comes to a dampner. Get a good SFI approved one. Those headers will choke the 408w a bit but i have shortie headers on my 351w and they seem to work. The afr 185's IMO are a little small for a 408 stroker. But you are wanting drivability aswell. so i don't know. I have vic jr and love them. I wanted AFR 205's but the vic jr's were on sale so thats what i got.

I am not sure on the block's capability, but I would run either AFR 205 or AFR 225.

75-90 mm throttle body will be plenty.

The 30 lb injectors are going to be too small.

Your going to want a nice big intake.

For valve springs, you need to match them to the camshaft.

I would suggest www.flowtechinduction.com for the camshaft, springs, heads, and everything else. He will tell you exactly what you will want to run.

From intake to gaskets.

I am not sure on the block's capability, but I would run either AFR 205 or AFR 225.

75-90 mm throttle body will be plenty.

The 30 lb injectors are going to be too small.

Your going to want a nice big intake.

For valve springs, you need to match them to the camshaft.

I would suggest www.flowtechinduction.com for the camshaft, springs, heads, and everything else. He will tell you exactly what you will want to run.

From intake to gaskets.

+1