Timing Cover Seal Help

85 Coupe 5.0

Founding Member
Dec 18, 2001
Kansas
Has anyone replaced the timing cover seal without the motor disassembled? I'm looking to do one soon and was just wandering if it's going to be a PITA to do. Anyone have experience with this? I'm also probalby going to replace the auxillary shaft seal and camshaft seal too, as it's pointless to do just one. Anyone got some advice?

Thanx

• Sponsors (?)

mmm, im guessing you mean vavle cover seal? In that case, its pretty simple. If your refering to the seals on the camshaft itself, its not exaclty cake , but with a little bit of work it can be done quickly. I would hafta ask why you would want to replace the cam seal, unless u are swaping cams?

well, i was actually referring to the seal on the crankshaft itself, the auxillary shaft, and the camshaft. The one that is leaking is the one on the crankshaft, but i'd like to replace all 3 while i'm in there.

I have done it with the engine in the car. It's not too bad, just takes a bit of time to get everything stripped down to that point. The hardest part for me what just tightening it back up. My oil pan gasket just would not stay in place. It kept on sliding out towards the front of the car. I finally had to get a friend to hold the gasket in place while I tightened the cover down. It still leaks a small amount, but not enough to do it again! Just don't get in a big hurry and you should be fine.

we are talking 2.3L correct? I didn't think the oil pan extended up that far on the motor. I have had these motors down replace the timing belt many a time, but have never done a seal. Has anyone ever replaced the crank, auxillary shaft, and camshaft seals?