Timing question??

KidCapri50

Sep 8, 2005
I installed cams and valve springs in my car. I always get nervous and question myself on big projects like this.

Anyway, when removing all hardware, I made my own timing reference marks. I'm at the re-assembly stage and got all marks lined up perfect.

Is there anyway that the the crank could be 180 out?? Meaning is the rigt valve opening at the right time.

I turned the engine by hand and everthing when nice and smooth, I also in stalled the plugs and turned it over and could hear it hissing down towards the oil pan.

I know these might be dumb questions, but I always thought a dumb question was one that wasn't asked.

• Sponsors (?)

In order to make sure your crank/pistons are in the right position remove the crank pulley/harmonic balancer and use the key slot on the crank as your guide for piston position. I believe that top dead center is when the keyslot is facing 9 o clock. I would double check that though.

If i'm not mistaken, the timing reference on the balancer should be set to top dead center for the #1 piston before removing the timing equipment to ensure proper re-assembly.

Thats off the top of my head, someone correct me if im wrong though.