Tips on replacing the Clutch Kit, Clutch Cable and Quadrant

DV19

Jul 14, 2004
Cornelius, NC
My 1st Surgery on the new Toy:
Thursday I'm replacing the Clutch Kit, BBK Clutch Cable and Quadrant on my 99' GT. Since this is my first time working on this car, do you have any "been there - done that" tips?

I've got my new Haynes Manual and a good bit of know-how so I should be fine but any special tools (besides the basics) or trouble spots to watch out for tips would be greatly appreciated.....

Also, while I'm in there (not that it's leaking) how much longer would it take to replace the rear main seal (just for good measure)? Worth doing?

Thanks,
DV

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a BBK adjustable clutch quad and cable. Its for the fox body style mustangs though. Not SN95 specific. It is a little bit too short, but works fine. I had to get a new nut on the end of the cable because the one on it, would have had like 2 threads holding it on. Its a fairly thick nut that goes on there. You're going to really like it. It will probably need adjusting frequently the first month. Mine did. Once you have the quadrant installed and the cable installed, tighten the nut on the cable untill there is no slack in the cable. Have someone step on the clutch pedal a few times so that you can make sure everything is working properly. Dont tighten it much more than just what it takes to get the slack out of it. Because then it might not be engaging all the way. Good luck. Dont know how to do the clutch on these cars, but I'm probably gonna need to be doing one soon. Take it easy