Tire Hop

fireguy266

Sep 30, 2009
I have an '03 V-6 with Cobra wheels and tires (wide) front and back. When I back out of the driveway with the wheels sharply turned I get a very pronounced "tire hop" coming from the front end. Does anybody with similar wide tires and wheels experience the same thing?

• Sponsors (?)

Tire hop on the front usually means the turn ratios of both wheels are not properly matched. I had this problem when I used 07 Gt wheels on my 96. How wide of tires are you using? Is there any rubbing anywhere?

My guess is that you are using excessively wide tires. You need an alignment to correct over/understeer. Either that or one of your suspension/steering components needs replaced. Check your inner tierods and make sure they aren't loose. Too much in/out movement will cause this problem.

My other guess is that you are using too wide a tire on the front, but I will rule that out for now. Check the above first.

I think you're right. I never had this tire hop till I put on the GT Rims and wheels. It only happens when coming off the curb from the driveway and the wheels are turned all the way to the left or right. Thanks