Tire Question.............I searched

HercFE

Jul 4, 2004
Sacramento
I'm buying new tires for my 02' and want to put 255/45/17's on all four of my stock Bullitt rims, anyone ever had issues with this set up? I searched but couldn't find an exact answer.

Can I go bigger than 255 on the rears with my rims? I don't have money for 10.5's

Thanks!
:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

The 94-95 Cobras came stock with 255/45/17's on 17x8 wheels. Tire diamter would be 26.0 vs 25.7" so the difference is negligible

You could put a 275/40/17 on a 17x8, but it's typically not recommended and the sidewall bulge can actually make handling worse

They give it a little bulge without ruining handling.

IIRC, the reason ford stepped away from the 255 on the Cobra was because it's not exactly a common tire size. The 245/45 however is.

I'm in need of new tires and every tire I like does not come in 255/45/17. More than likely I will go 245 then

Here is a pic of my 05 with 255/50s on it. The tires are a little taller but the width is the same. The fronts are on 8 inch rims and the rears are on 9s. No problems at all.

2250867_10_full.jpg

I run 255/45s on all 4 corners on my 01. Helped fill the fender gap(mines not lowered)and is a bit wider. I think it looks perfect, handles better than before, and no issues to speak of.
Tire guy argued the speedo would be off, even though I could fix it with my tuner its dead on according to police radar:D

Thanks for the help, ordered BFG KWDS's 255/45/17's from tire rack, they are on clearance for 88!

I also ordered some FRPP B springs, If I'm getting it aligned after my new tires I might as well do the springs too, at least thats what I told the old lady.

Thanks
:flag:

Thanks for the help, ordered BFG KWDS's 255/45/17's from tire rack, they are on clearance for 88!

Check the date codes. Tire-rack usually puts stuff on clearance that has been sitting in the warehouse for a few years. I ordered some clearanced tires before and got 4 year old tires sent to me.

Where do I find the date code on them? Even if they are a few years old they should be OK if they were stored correctly, IE not out in the sun? I should get them tomorrow, what should I look for other than dry rot?