Tires for 17x9 Cobra rims

nummaonenutsaq

May 21, 2002
Anaheim
I just bought some 17x9 (back) and 17x8 (front) Cobra rims from AFSWheels.com for $365. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience trying to fit a 275/40/17 tire on the 17x9 rims on a Fox Mustang. A guy I talked to at Big-O said they rub the rear sway bar. Any info would be a great help. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

How'd you do that?

nummaonenutsaq said:
I just bought some 17x9 (back) and 17x8 (front) Cobra rims from AFSWheels.com for $365. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience trying to fit a 275/40/17 tire on the 17x9 rims on a Fox Mustang. A guy I talked to at Big-O said they rub the rear sway bar. Any info would be a great help. Thanks!

That's almost half price. How'd you get such a good deal?

I also just bought a set from AFS. I got one of their package deals with the 17x8 and 17x9 wheels and 255/40x17 tires all the way around. Seems to me like there should be a wider tire on the 9's than on the 8's but they said that is the most that will fit and the most popular combination. Should have them here by the end of the week so we will see how the look. I have a feeling I'll be investing in some 275's though.

275s will fit on the rear, but they may (probably will) rub on the quad shock.. just flip them over and all is well..

I'm running them on my '89 with no trouble..

89-1.jpg

Yes, I have 17x9 cobras with 275/40/17's on my 89 LX. I have 1/4" spacers on all four, and I had to turn the quad shocks around and take the dust cover thingy off them...it would rub hard on them still? but I've had it that way for over a year and it looks great!

MrKwik said:
I also just bought a set from AFS. I got one of their package deals with the 17x8 and 17x9 wheels and 255/40x17 tires all the way around. Seems to me like there should be a wider tire on the 9's than on the 8's but they said that is the most that will fit and the most popular combination. Should have them here by the end of the week so we will see how the look. I have a feeling I'll be investing in some 275's though.

I just got mine from AFS, im extremely happy with them, good quality wheels and the tires are a lot better than I thought they would be. They also came with a good ballance. Mine are the exact same sizes as yours. I was thinking I would put 275s on right away before I got them but now im not so sure, they are bigger than you think and they seem to work well with the rim size. I will definitely get a set of 275 Nitto's next season though.
attachment.php

attachment.php

nummaonenutsaq said:
The wonders of ebay sniping. :)

exactly =) I bought a full set of the Chrome R's & Kumho 711 tires from AFS. $850 :nice: I see they come with a goodyear tire now with a 380 treadwear, man thats a hard tire. the 711's have a 320 tread wear. Couldn't be happier. Will surely go to a 275 once these wear out.
Excellent quality. the balance is perfect

Scott

Mine are the exact same sizes as yours. I was thinking I would put 275s on right away before I got them but now im not so sure, they are bigger than you think and they seem to work well with the rim size.
In that picture it kind of looks like the wider rim on the back makes the sidewall bow out more than on the front. Thats what I dont really want. What tires do you have? The ones in the package I got are Goodyear essenza 210. Just tracked mine and it looks like I wont see them till tuesday. I hate waiting.

MrKwik said:
In that picture it kind of looks like the wider rim on the back makes the sidewall bow out more than on the front. Thats what I dont really want. What tires do you have? The ones in the package I got are Goodyear essenza 210. Just tracked mine and it looks like I wont see them till tuesday. I hate waiting.

Yes, I have the same set of tires, the sidewalls are straight up and down in the back, they dont have the "to small a tire for the rim" ghetto look at all, dont even worry about that. I was afraid of that as well but the 255s fit the rims well front and back. I personally like the look of huge meats on the back and 275 nitto's will probably perform better but these are more than adequate for now and I couldn't justify spending 300 bucks on 2 new rear tires when I have a perfectly good set to get me through until next season, plus im not gonna be driving it much at all through the winter:nice:

Yes, I have the same set of tires, the sidewalls are straight up and down in the back, they dont have the "to small a tire for the rim" ghetto look at all, dont even worry about that. I was afraid of that as well but the 255s fit the rims well front and back. I personally like the look of huge meats on the back and 275 nitto's will probably perform better but these are more than adequate for now and I couldn't justify spending 300 bucks on 2 new rear tires when I have a perfectly good set to get me through until next season, plus im not gonna be driving it much at all through the winter
Well I got my wheels and put em on. As I suspected the rear tires look too small for the 9" rim in comparison to the fronts. The wider front track makes it look a little goofy to me. There aint much room betrween the quad shock though so I imagine I will eventually replace the the 255's with some 275's on the rears. My Eibach pro kit is in the mail so maybe it will look better once its a bit lower. We shall see. Cant bitch too much for what I paid for the wheels I guess. Although AFS is kind of pissing me off. One of my rears had some good scratches on the lip and they havnt returned my call for 3 days.

with the 17x9's with 275's, does anyone have any issues with them rubbing on your exhaust???? my friend said on his that they rubbed on his exhaust pipe. is this tru? i got a cobra rear bumper just so i could get the chrome tips and i want to see them but i dont wanna have a rubbing issue.

MrKwik said:
Although AFS is kind of pissing me off. One of my rears had some good scratches on the lip and they havnt returned my call for 3 days.

Was it a set you got off Ebay? I've read on a few of the sets their selling lately that they have "slight" blemish's to the wheels, thus the slightly lower price. If you got them off Ebay, you might want to re-read EXACTLY what the discription say's.

Just tryin to help
Scott

My '92 'Vert has 17x9s all the way around with 275/40/17 Nitto 555s. The rears rub on the fender lips and the quad shocks, but just barely. They fit the wheels perfectly. The fronts rub even less than the rears. I have heard that Nittos are smaller than other brands in the same size. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't change anything.

CobraGT87 said:
Was it a set you got off Ebay? I've read on a few of the sets their selling lately that they have "slight" blemish's to the wheels, thus the slightly lower price. If you got them off Ebay, you might want to re-read EXACTLY what the discription say's.

Just tryin to help
Scott
It was indeed an ebay set. And the ad did say that some wheels may have a slight imperfection in the finish that is not visible when installed. I figured they ment like an uneven spot in the powder coat of something of that nature, not damage to the wheel. This looks like damage from a tire mounting machine. I basically emailed them and just asked if they are supposed to be blems or what. Im not so pissed about the damage as the fact that they have not responded.

Post the auction link...I was watching a set that went for that much and it stated right in the add that they were in "poor" condition and showed the blems (one of which was as you described).

Stinger