Tires For A 66

AEM66coupe

May 7, 2013
Hey, I am new here, and new toMustangs. My wife and I just bought our first and its a 1966 coupe. the first thing I would like to dois put wheelsand tires on it but I dont know what size to go with. I like big side wall and wide width, but not to big. I like old looking mag wheels and was thinking American Racing with Good Year Eagles. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and the little reading I have done so far brings up spacing. At this point I want be able tobolt them on with out having todoanything difficult.

1966 coupe 289

Thanks Andy

• Sponsors (?)

personally i would go with something like a 15x7 wheel, and a 205/65-15 tire, brand is up to you. that will make for a really nice wheel and tire package for your stang.

Depends on the back spacing of the wheel but I did 215/60/15 on 15 x 7 rims. They fill the wheel well just about perfect and no rubbing issues. If you want o go bigger try 17 x 8 rims with 4.75 BS then 235/45/17 tires fit perfect with no rubbing. That's about max without body or suspension mods.

One thing to consider: If you think you will upgrade the brakes to a 12" or 13" disc, then you should take that into consideration now. A 12" disc will require a min. of 16" wheel; the 13" brake needs a 17" wheel. I have 16"x7" up front with 205/55-16s and 16"x8" on the rear with 225/50-16. These tires have different widths, but the same diameter, which simplifies the spare tire issue. If will you never upgrade the brakes, then just get whatever you think looks best.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Looks like 15x7 is the way to go. I was thinking 14x7 but it does not look like cragar or torque thrust come in that size. I like a nice fat black sidewall and so I haven't decided what tire size to go with. I'm going to go check that spreadsheet if I can find it.