to tune or not to tune?

white06stang

Feb 16, 2007
sunland,ca
i would really love to do the xcal2 but the problem im thinking of is wether the 87 tune would be worth the $400. i get all the free 87 octane i can use from work so its hard to buy 91 when i get 87 for free... the two main ?'s i have are #1, is the 87 tune much of a gain compared to the 91 tune? #2, would mixing some sort of race fuel(free but limited quanity) with 87 be comperable to 91 or 93? any help would be great thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

with a CAI, yes, it definitely is worth it, as long as you go with bamachips or brenspeed. Do that and you'll see a huge improvement. And you're better off sticking with the 87 tune than trying to add higher octane gas.

I currently have my brenspeed tune set for 93 octane, but when I first installed it I ran it at the 87 octane setting just to get an idea of how different it was from stock. The difference absolutely blew me away even at the 87 octane setting. My advice is to just do it, you definitely won't be sorry. My car is otherwise stock, except for a K&N drop in filter.

The way I would describe it is this. The difference between the stock tune and the Brenspeed 87 octane is huge. The difference between the Brenspeed 87 & 91 octane tunes is discernable, but nowhere near as dramatic as the stock to Brenspeed 87 octane tune. The difference between Brenspeed's 91 & 93 octane tunes is more dramatic than the difference between the 87 to 89 octane tunes but still nowhere as obvious as the stock to 87 octane tune. Over the years I've spent a lot of money on car performance improvements, but nothing has been money as well spent as the Brenspeed XCAL2. Add to that the fact that it is literally a 5-minute install that is performed from the drivers seat, and you can't lose. I installed my tune at around the 1,000 mile mark. Don't wait, just do it, you won't be sorry!

im still debating to do a tune. Mostly becuz of money and Warranty. I really dont want to get into the whole warranty thing, changing tune back and forth, taking parts off swaping to stock. My car has 300 miles on it now. Right now im just thinking about putting on some different mufflers and bbk cold air kit which requires no tune and still gets 15-18hp. *shrug* i dunno, it was easier moding an Old Fox body, but messing up warranty on my first brand new car, scary!

If you're going to do a CAI, definitely do it. It's easier to switch between tunes than to change out a CAI. You'll feel more difference from the tune than the CAI and mufflers combined, that's for sure. Throttle response with a good tune is indescribable. It's like driving a completely different car. You WILL NOT be sorry.

yeah i know what ur saying but its like 600 bux for one of those CAI + Tune Kits. And only like 225 or so for the bbk kit which i hear is a really good kit for not changing the tune. I'd say my biggest issue would be with Warranty. Of course i heard u can change the tune back to stock, but the Footer supposely is always their that u messed with the computer and doing that to a brand new 2007 car makes me wig out that they will give me **** at my dealer lol. I already ask the guy about mods and pretty much he said minor bolt on's are okay but dont change the computer tune. Of course if they find reason to beleive ur mod broke ur car they wont fix it, but he said minor bolt ons arent a problem.

I dont know, im on a budget w/ performance parts cuz the car payment lol! i mostly want to do the mufflers to get a nicer sound than stock and evenually a off-road h but they will be awhile.

Trust me, the lag is there. I've got a 5SPD too. I didn't realize there was a lag until I got the tune. And it's not just a lag. Before the tune, it seems like there's more power there, but you run out of pedal. With the tune, you don't run out of pedal, only road. I'm just saying if you're on the fence about it, go for it.

I don't know that the dealer can tell if you've modified the computer, but do you really think they'd check that if they can. Plus, like you said, they'd have to prove that the computer mod made the problem. Again, it's your car and your decision, but I know that eventually you will probably do it, and you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. Pretty much all of us in this forum are under warranty. Plenty of us have went in for warranty work with no problem. And by the way, just because you bought the car at that dealer doesn't mean they have to perform your warranty work. You could always find a mod friendly one. But I honestly don't think it would come to that over an intake and a tune.

They both have excellent reviews. I don't think one is better than the other. I picked Doug from Bamachips. No real rhyme or reason, though. I just noticed the thread hyping him up was longer lol.

would it be ok to run some unleaded race fuel mixed with 87? i dont want to have any kind of air/fuel/timing problem or would it be good to run at least premium every other tank?
i keep hearing people say how its bad to run only 87 octane but will the engine really have less carbon build up or whatever it is these people keep on ranting and raving about?