TOB or CLUTCH CABLE??

Smeech

Feb 28, 2004
Fremont, Ca
My car gets a squeek, it's not very loud but it is noticeable. It sounds the same as when brake pads are wearing down. It only happens when Im cruising and off the clutch. If I tap the clutch even **the slightest** it will go away. It doesn't happen all the time, just maybe a quarter of the time Im cruising, but it is kind of annoying. I don't really think it's the TOB, Im thinking its a squeeky clutch cable... any ideas or solutions?

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same problem, I was told its a squeeky TOB but if you do not need a new clutch dont even bother with it. I have a friend who fixed his using and adjustable cable and firewall adjuster but I thnk that is ust putting pressure on the TOB like riding the clutch.

I am alos experiencing this annoying constant tweaking sound. I just a a stage 1 SPEC clutch installed...and ever since i heard that sound. It only happens when i cruise or the car is at idle. It goes away when I push the clutch pedal down tho. I took it to the Mechanic who installed the cluctch. And he told me that it was just the new Throw out bearing making that noise . and just give it time for the whole clutch to break in and that sould would go away . ....I hope it does go away .....

I was going to post re: this same problem with my car. I recently had a new clutch put in ( about 2 months ago) and I just started experiencing this squeaking about a week ago. The sound will go away when I depress the clutch pedal. I also thought it could be the clutch cable? I won't be able to live with this for too long, so I will probably take it in and get it fixed if it doesn't go away soon....

kennym01 said:
I was going to post re: this same problem with my car. I recently had a new clutch put in ( about 2 months ago) and I just started experiencing this squeaking about a week ago. The sound will go away when I depress the clutch pedal. I also thought it could be the clutch cable? I won't be able to live with this for too long, so I will probably take it in and get it fixed if it doesn't go away soon....

kennym01, what type of clutch did you have installed? what manufacturer?

My '98 GT "chirps" and "squeeks" unless I put at least a tiny bit of pressure on my pedal. I replaced the TOB and it didn't do a damned thing for the noise, either.

I'm thinking its got something to do with my cable .. because I can literally tuck my toes under the pedal and lift it up about an inch after each time I press it.

All that Ford stuff about the "auto tightening clutch cable" is BS as far as I'm concerned .. I've done what the manual says, I've brought it to places and had THEM try and "auto-adjust" it, and nothing.

I'm wondering if I should just replace the whole clutch cable with one that you CAN adjust and it that will pull it tight to both kill the squeeking, and give me a firmer pedal.

I've had the same problem as you guys are talkin about. I replaced the clutch quadrant and installed a firewall adjuster. Once I had adjusted the cable taught the pedal didn't feel 'lose' that the top and no more squeak! An additional benefit is that the clutch feels much smoother as well. Hope this helps...

was it the firewall adjuster that helped?

I just found a temporary solution... say Im cruising and it starts squeeking if I just tap the clutch up with the top of my shoe, it goes away... but the clutch adjust doesn't help.. I'll try again, I guess.

depending on how far gone the TOB is already you can lube it with white lithium grease and the squeeling noise will go away for a few thousand miles...i lube mine every oil change and mine hasn't squeeled in 1 year.....mine only made the noise when the car was at a stop in neutral with the pedal let out......you can remove the "inspection cover" on the driver side of the bellhousing where the clutch cable attaches to the clutch fork. once it is removed you should see something similar to the picture below...take a spray can w/straw of white lithium grease and spray the slot between the TOB and bearing retainer....try not to get any on the pressure plate or clutch itself....spray a good amount but don't over do it......then get in the car and press the pedal a couple times, then start the car and let it idle while you press the clutch pedal 10-15 times....then shut the car off and spray it with a little more grease....now, replace the cover and go drive the car "EASY" for 10-15 miles.....the squeel should be gone for a few thousand miles...you can repeat this every oil change(since you are already under the car).....

the cause - when you drive the car hard the TOB slings all the factory grease out of the bearing....which can and will cause premature part failure....lube it and go have fun

if this doesn't help....you should replace the TOB before it gets eaten up and gets destroyed....just my .02 cents

everybody i've known with a sqeaky TOB has been pleased after doing this....try it for yourself :nice:

throwout.jpg