Tokico Hp strut question

Burtonsnow157

Dec 16, 2007
I'm going to be replacing my struts, shocks and springs and adding c/c plates. I dont have air tools so when i take the strut nut off im going to put a large screwdriver into the slot on the top of the stock strut. Problem im wondering about is what about when i put the new strut in and have to tighten the nut, is there a slot on the stop of the tokico hp strut rod that i can use to put a screwdriver into it while i tighten the nut?

• Sponsors (?)

Still, I'd buy an electric impact wrench. ($49.99 right now at Harbor Freight) It'll make your work a heck of a lot easier. I don't have a ton of money invested in my air setup, but it's the best investment I ever made. I got a decent Craftsman compressor, but then I use mostly Harbor Freight tools. While I know there are better ones out there, these are dirt cheap and work great. Air tools typically don't break anyway.

Still, I'd buy an electric impact wrench. ($49.99 right now at Harbor Freight)

yeah i was looking at those, wondering if i should go with the 18v cordless or the 7amp corded
18v: 1044in/lb
7amp corded : 240ft/lb both the same price pretty much, i just dont know if the corded is a little bit overkill, you cant set the torque on them can you?

-corded one - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31877 - thats the one youre talking about right?

You can use an impact, but sometimes the nut is so froze to the strut rod, that it spins the strut rod inside the strut, which can heat up and damage the strut seal.

But you don't have to worry about this since you are not re-using the old struts. Just zip the old ones off, and install the new ones. I used an impact to install mine, since they were new, the nut went on with no trouble.

I just recently took off my front struts and rear shocks. all you need is a large screw driver and a wrench for the front struts, It'll come off. The rears you just need an small socket with a wrench.