Top 10 dumbest things I've done to my car

Dumbest thing I've ever done was put a remote start on my 5-speed car without a neutral safety. Yep, you guess it. Forgot I left it in reverse to remove my stereo. Hit the little button, heard tires screeching and then a loud boom. I walked outside to find my Mustang parked halfway inside my shed.

Ya, that's pretty dumb alright.:doh:
Could be the worst i've seen so far, lol.

• Sponsors (?)

Guess it is a good thing I changed my mind about a turbo then. I was going to do that late last year, but then went with a stroker instead.

Did you ever get your headers and get it back together?

sucks bro.. you are doing a vortech and h/c/i setup now right?

Yes, and yes. Car is running with a trick flow H/C/I. Just working some minor bugs out out now.

perhaps you could set up an alternate office space in the hatch area for clients? :shrug:

Haha, not a bad idea.

One day i need to pick up a tv for a friend (tube, back a few years),
Friggin thing wouldn't fit in my explorer because of the stereo, but fit in the back of my mustang with seat delete, lol. I had the room in the explorer, but it was too big to go in through the side door.

Haha nice. I mountain bike, and one time I'm pulling into the trail parking area, and I spot this beautiful orangeish red hatch. Dude gets out, pops the hatch open, and pulls out a completely assembled mountain bike. Blew my mind. He was gone by the time I parked and got out of my car, so I never got to talk to him. I'm not sure if it was a new purchase for him or if he just realized he was an idiot for driving such a clean car down that dirt/gravel path, but I never saw that car again.

very good thread, I my self have done most of those dumb things, exept nitros i always knew that was for honest drag racers only.
Btw if you need rear seatbelts I have a set of grey one's from an 89

This thread really should be called Diff. stages of owning a mustang, or Life in genral.

Other things i consider dumb, are converting Efi cars to carbs, and removing the power steering.
I considered the PS delete, then drove a car without it in a parking lot.

I guess I'm supposed to read that and not think that I'm considered not just "dumb", but slobbering stupid since I have done both.
Time will tell, maybe I'll post a thread that'll include them later as "dumb" ideas.
Right now, they're perfect solutions to my problem.

As far as REALLY stupid.....I'll cop to the single-handidly stupidest stuff EVER done to a mustang.

It's 1976...CB radios are a HUGE fad. I had one in my 69 mach1. The really ugly part.... I had a 8' whip antenna bolted to the quarter panel w/ an american flag tied to the top......I was 18. It still makes me shudder to think that I did that to my car. :puke:

The same time ( about 1 month later)... same car. The antenna is gone after my car guy friends shame me into removing it, and I sink to a new low,...I get 1/8" pinstripe tape, and put it on EVERY body line that car had....

What the hell was I thinking.

My only defense was that this was an era that 60's gasser style straight front ends made a comeback on street driven 55-57 chevys. Car Craft magazine had Vans on the cover, w/ coverage of outrageously gaudy paint jobs (read...done while on acid) on cars that were labeled as "street Freaks."
hrdp_0912_06+70s_and_80s_musclecars.jpg

hrdp_0912_04+70s_and_80s_musclecars.jpg

notice the CB antenna on dudes trunk.

I must've had some sort of mental infection or something.

I'm all better now.

Dumbest thing I've ever done was put a remote start on my 5-speed car without a neutral safety. Yep, you guess it. Forgot I left it in reverse to remove my stereo. Hit the little button, heard tires screeching and then a loud boom. I walked outside to find my Mustang parked halfway inside my shed.

:eek:

Where was that thread?

When I was in high school I bought my first 5.0 (White 89 lx hatch 5 spd). I was a caught up in, who has the fastest car in the parking lot. We would go drag race on back roads, so I removed the front sway bar for more traction. The car drove like a 76 caddy in turns. I eventually ripped a torque box out as well. I'm more into Fox bodies that are pretty fast, but handle great.

The most expensive stupid thing I have ever done to that poor 89 was drive it with a lot of lifter chatter. I again was racing the night before and broke the oil pump drive shaft in two ( didn't know at the time). I woke up and drove it to school and heard the chatter get louder. Drove it all the way home thinking it was a bad lifter. Did I mention, I was 17 and was new to working on cars? Anyway I called my mech and he asked me to look at the oil pressure gage. No oil pressure . I had to buy a used short block. Lesson learned. I was amazed the car drove that long without seizing. Prob 10 miles.

Straight axle gassers and V8 vans are still cool, IMO.

But yea, shag carpet and those metal flake paint jobs will forever be hideous.

You think the 57 that I posted a pic of is cool??????

If you like that thing, I got a 8' CB whip antenna w/ the spring loaded base I'll give you....used one month. It's mega cool.

I like the Gassers as well, I just think they belong in the 60's and on the strip.
Vans suck,....... even w/ 10 cylinders.

You think the 57 that I posted a pic of is cool??????

If you like that thing, I got a 8' CB whip antenna w/ the spring loaded base I'll give you....used one month. It's mega cool.

I like the Gassers as well, I just think they belong in the 60's and on the strip.
Vans suck,....... even w/ 10 cylinders.

That one you posted is a little too blingy for my taste, but I wouldn't say it's awful. I prefer the retro-styled altered wheelbase cars. Those are cool.

... And THIS is a cool van:

113_0603_06_z+five_various_featured_hot_rods+1978_chevy_van.jpg

Something like that would make a really cool parts hauler or shop vehicle.

That one you posted is a little too blingy for my taste, but I wouldn't say it's awful. I prefer the retro-styled altered wheelbase cars. Those are cool.

... And THIS is a cool van:

113_0603_06_z+five_various_featured_hot_rods+1978_chevy_van.jpg

Something like that would make a really cool parts hauler or shop vehicle.

Yes, I agree. That is a very cool van. I was talking about the "Brothel-on-wheels" love mobiles of the 70's

kinda like this stupid crap.

1970s-custom-van-couple.jpg

But seriously, why anybody would want to push a brick down a quarter mile is beyond me.

Hahaha, yea, I agree with that. There is so much 1970s FAIL going on in that picture!

My mach 1 would've gotten groans and eye rolls as well, had I any pictures to post of it. It was hideous w/ all of the pinstripe tape all over it.

That "modification" only lasted one summer.

Fortunately for me, I grew out of my stupid phase.