top speed for 98GT

Mac-man

Nov 7, 2003
south texas
A buddy of mine has a 98GT. when he is roadracing i guess you would say, his car cuts out at 120mph, but my 96 will keep climbing past that. why would his cut out at that speed. and also, i have heard of a lot of people getting rid of there EGR tubes. is this modification worth anything as far as SOTP. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

• Sponsors (?)

his car probably came with 16 inch rims from the factory. those were limited to 120. the ones that came with 17's are drag limited. In theory, most stock GT's can get to about 140~145 ish. With gears, a little higher. According to most gear calculators, a GT with 4.10's can hit 162 at redline. I've had my car at 5900 with 4.10's and the speedo nedle was wrapped around to the little peg at 0 mph. Not sure how fast it was but the lines on the interstate had turned into 1 solid line :eek:

my 98 gt came with the 16" waffles and i have my bullit rims on there now. so i dont know about the speed limiter thing because i just went 140mph and it was still pulling but i chickened out :eek:. i dont think i will ever do it again though.

I checked the top speed of my stock 17in. wheeled 98GT with my GPS. It wheezed up to 137.9mph. It may have trickled up a smidge faster but if I had more room but it's doubtful. :scratch:

"his car probably came with 16 inch rims from the factory. those were limited to 120. the ones that came with 17's are drag limited. In theory, most stock GT's can get to about 140~145 ish. With gears, a little higher. According to most gear calculators, a GT with 4.10's can hit 162 at redline. I've had my car at 5900 with 4.10's and the speedo nedle was wrapped around to the little peg at 0 mph. Not sure how fast it was but the lines on the interstate had turned into 1 solid line "

yea, you became one solid red line to the cop too! :D

matsm21 said:
"his car probably came with 16 inch rims from the factory. those were limited to 120. the ones that came with 17's are drag limited. In theory, most stock GT's can get to about 140~145 ish. With gears, a little higher. According to most gear calculators, a GT with 4.10's can hit 162 at redline. I've had my car at 5900 with 4.10's and the speedo nedle was wrapped around to the little peg at 0 mph. Not sure how fast it was but the lines on the interstate had turned into 1 solid line "

yea, you became one solid red line to the cop too! :D

hehe yeah i would have been dead meat....actually, I have run from the law once. I was on the interstate and a lumina turned on his lights going the other way and got stuck in the median. I stomped on it and never looked back. I got lucky...but hey, it was a lumina.