Trac Lok and gear question

xexitenglishx

Jun 27, 2004
I am getting gears put in and i am buying all the parts. I just wanted to know how many bottle of Royal Purple Gear Lube i should buy and what weight it should be between the 75w90 and 85w140? Its for an 87 5.0 lx if that makes a differance. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i would go with the thinner of the two, unless you live a 1/4 mile from the sun or something. with the synthetic, it will hold up to temps and stress well.

I too would go lighter.

IMO, I like to change it after a litle bit of break-in. If you want to do that, you may not want to use expensive stuff for just a few miles. But I would definitely go with a synthetic for the long haul.

89MustangGX said:
I too would go lighter.

IMO, I like to change it after a litle bit of break-in. If you want to do that, you may not want to use expensive stuff for just a few miles. But I would definitely go with a synthetic for the long haul.
i agree with Adam on that too. i might use oem weight dino oil in it for break in. then switch to the good stuff and be good for a bit. good point, Adam.

You mention the traction-loc in the title but don't say anything in your post?

While you are in there, might as well rebuild the traction-loc. The FRPP kit in less than $50 and it will make a difference even if you think yours is working top notch right now. Yeah, maby break it in with dino oil and then go with a good synthetic, it will take about three quarts.

90mustangGT said:
You mention the traction-loc in the title but don't say anything in your post?

While you are in there, might as well rebuild the traction-loc. The FRPP kit in less than $50 and it will make a difference even if you think yours is working top notch right now. Yeah, maby break it in with dino oil and then go with a good synthetic, it will take about three quarts.

Good point.

I should have also mentioned the limited slip additive for the Trac-Lok as well. It may be included in the Royal Purple, it may not. Check the bottles to see, you may need to add some. Also, a dino oil will not have it. You can get it from any Ford dealer, it's just a little bottle and it's inexpensive. :nice: