traction control switch problem

LT.SAVAGE

Sep 24, 2006
So I have a 2000 GT 5 spd
Problem is turn the key to "ON" and the traction control switch does NOT light up
Now The switch is new, and fine. There is 5 wires to the harness, power, ground and three others. There is 12v at power and should be .04v at two other wires. I have tested it and there is NOT .04v at the other two wires ? ?

so any techs here, gimme a hand in finding the problem.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Does the traction control work when driving??? You may have the same problem as my car. I cannot unplug or plug in the switch with the battery connected or the light bulb burns out....The switch still works just the light doesnt light up. I went through many switches since the bulb is difficult to find seperate.

umm, traction control automatically is enabled whenever the car is turned on. you either

1) make it a habit to turn it off after startup
2) disable it in the tune
3) figure out how to wire it to disable on startup

fastback brian said:
Does the traction control work when driving??? You may have the same problem as my car. I cannot unplug or plug in the switch with the battery connected or the light bulb burns out....The switch still works just the light doesnt light up. I went through many switches since the bulb is difficult to find seperate.

could be ? ill check. But I have an extra switch from my other car, put it in and the same deal. So the switches are good. maybe I just burnt this one out ?

Ok...I might be failing to understand completely. Let me just lay it out to see if
I get it.
When you start your car, the "Trac off" light does not briefly light up, then off
again during the self check the car goes through on startup.

If that is the case, and your ABS light (on the dash)is not staying on after
the "self check", then there is probably nothing wrong with your TCS. The
TCS operates off the ABS module, so a problem with one usually instigates a
problem with the other, which is why the ABS light would stay on. It could
be a burned out bulb or it could also be a
shorted out, or broken wire. That would be a PITA.

If you have a shop around that does free troubleshooting ( you might be able
to get your local ford dealership to do it for free) Then I would just take it in
have them plug it in and see if it's throwing any codes. I just got done
dealing with my ABS system. So I hope its as simple as a faulty bulb or
switch. The switch is only around $13 so it shouldnt be that bad.

Then again I might be some homeless guy who stumbled into a public library
and found stangnet up on one of the computers.

Edit:I forgot to mention that the traction control light does not stay on during
operation....I assume you know that. But since it seems like you are new t
o mustangs just thought Id throw that out.

WashburnGT said:
Ok...I might be failing to understand completely. Let me just lay it out to see if
I get it.
When you start your car, the "Trac off" light does not briefly light up, then off
again during the self check the car goes through on startup.

If that is the case, and your ABS light (on the dash)is not staying on after
the "self check", then there is probably nothing wrong with your TCS. The
TCS operates off the ABS module, so a problem with one usually instigates a
problem with the other, which is why the ABS light would stay on. It could
be a burned out bulb or it could also be a
shorted out, or broken wire. That would be a PITA.

If you have a shop around that does free troubleshooting ( you might be able
to get your local ford dealership to do it for free) Then I would just take it in
have them plug it in and see if it's throwing any codes. I just got done
dealing with my ABS system. So I hope its as simple as a faulty bulb or
switch. The switch is only around $13 so it shouldnt be that bad.

Then again I might be some homeless guy who stumbled into a public library
and found stangnet up on one of the computers.

Edit:I forgot to mention that the traction control light does not stay on during
operation....I assume you know that. But since it seems like you are new t
o mustangs just thought Id throw that out.

There is no ABS codes
The switch is fine cause its brand new
There is no trouble codes on the engine
TRAC OFF does not come on during self check, however ABS does, there fore as you have explained it must be shorted. PITA is correct:SNSign:

When I bought my car, the bulb had already burnt, I had no idea why I almost kept stalling on hard launches and attempted burnouts..I would push the button, nothing happened, inevitably turning it off, then back on, then saying, heh, wonder what that does? ...then I found :SNSign: ...anyways, I used the replacement thingy in the sticky (either here or 4.6 talk) worked fine, cost me $1.79 + tax to fix the bulb, now I know when my traction control is on or off, good times...:nice:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=627071

You can find the replacement thingy there...if you need pics...let me know!

I tried to pull a wiring diagram off alldata for you but this is all I could find. Its for an 01, but I think the switches are the same it might help you test for which wire is grounding out.

Attachments

• 87576846.gif
    87576846.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 2,281
WashburnGT said:
I tried to pull a wiring diagram off alldata for you but this is all I could find. Its for an 01, but I think the switches are the same it might help you test for which wire is grounding out.

I have alldata and it looks that its either the switch or gauge cluster. Since the switch is new, anyone selling a gauge cluster