Traction?

shira_uma

Apr 25, 2005
Kingwood, TX
I've been dreaming of the day when I could own a Mustang, and now, finally, I'm actively searching for a car. Looking for a V6 car; I've been checking out a few message boards on some various sites as well, just to see what people are talking about, and what they're doing with their cars, to learn what I can.

Came upon a Mustang board on some Edmunds site, and the topic of conversation was traction, and while I know these cars don't go in the snow... these people were advocating dumping cars because of wet weather traction as well? What?? I know the ass end is lighter, which gives different handling than a more balanced car, but were they just being alarmisit, recommending to these people not to buy a Mustang, or to get rid of them, simply because of traction?

I wonder about this, because in my search I've found that the majority of cars have very low miles. Is this because people want to keep the cars nice and not use them, or because they "can't" use them? My car, when I get it, is going to be my daily driver, and I drive 100+ miles a day to and from work, half highway and half windy back roads. Of course, I know, I'm going to have to consider the handling of the car, but I have a good natural instinct in regard to reaction, and knowing how far I can push a car for the conditions.

So tell me... am I wasting my time even thinking about getting a Mustang? Am I going to buy the car, and six months later trade it in, because I can't stand it? Say it aint so!!!

And in the light of keeping a car, what are you all doing to improve your traction? Tires, rim size, etc. I'm sure, when I get something, I'm going to want to dress it up a little bit with nicer rims, but I'm not planning on going with anything wider than stock. So... whaddya think? I want to become one of the proud following of 'stang owners, but I have to be able to rely on this car most days as well. I live in eastern, PA, btw.

-shira (a very hopeful, prospective Mustang owner)

• Sponsors (?)

I recommend having two sets of wheels on the mustang. A set of wheels with nice performance tires for the good weather, and your stock V6 wheels with snow tires for the bad weather. Your wheels and tires can go a long way in improving traction. In the winter, I personally put about 100 to 150 pounds in the trunk to help rear end traction. Last winter was my first winter with my mustang. I can honestly say during the winter driving a mustang is not easy, but it is do-able. I had an auto last winter with traction control (that you can turn on and off when you wish) and that helped a whole bunch. As for having a 5-spd now, I don't think I have traction control but I could be mistaken.

I'd say get one if you really want one. Driving my mustang in the summer months is most definitely worth the hassle of driving her in the winter.

I've had my car for about a winter and a half. Like stated above, It's a good idea to put some weight in the back during snowy months. I have new rims I put on for about 6-7 months out of the year, they are 18's with some high performance tires. Then for winter I put my stock wheels back on with some good all season tires. I have not had any problems. You just have to get used to the car and the conditions you are driving in. AS far as wet traction, The other week I was driving home for the weekend (with my 18's on) n pouring rain, I was able to drive a little bit faster than most cars because my tires are also rated highly in wet tracion. I think alot depends on the tires, because before I got my new all seaon tires back in late November, I had some pretty old ones, and I was skiing on rainy roads rather than driving. And also, if those people were having such traction problems, a lot of the blame should be put on the driver and the driving habbits.

shira_uma said:
these people were advocating dumping cars because of wet weather traction as well?

Sounds like a bunch of Camry and Accord owners went through their midlife crises. :rolleyes:

Down here we might not get snow, but we get A LOT of rain. Mustangs do fine. Most of the time the tires won't grab the pavement on takeoff, but only a complete moron wouldn't know how to handle that situation.
I think if you have traction control it's a little better. My little sister has traction control on her Mustang, and she wondered why my tires spun in the rain starting from a complete stop. :shrug:

I would say it all depends on your experience. I normally say traction control and ABS AREN'T necessary. But others on here who aren't used to driving classic cars think that ABS is a necessity.
You said you have good 'instincts' so you should be way ahead of those idiots on Edmunds.

Rol224 said:
I recommend having two sets of wheels on the mustang. A set of wheels with nice performance tires for the good weather, and your stock V6 wheels with snow tires for the bad weather.

Good idea. Never thought of that, but I think I can do that if it's going to help.

In the winter, I personally put about 100 to 150 pounds in the trunk to help rear end traction.

That's actually something that I'd considered, but since I've been driving FWD cars now for a while, other than my pickup when I have to (which is, incidentally, being traded on my Mustang, so I wont have it for foul weather), I of course have no idea if it would help. Good to know.

I'd say get one if you really want one. Driving my mustang in the summer months is most definitely worth the hassle of driving her in the winter.

I really want one. :) I just want to try and stay alive to enjoy it! Thanks so much for the info.

-shira

cruisinV6 said:
AS far as wet traction, The other week I was driving home for the weekend (with my 18's on) n pouring rain, I was able to drive a little bit faster than most cars because my tires are also rated highly in wet tracion. I think alot depends on the tires, because before I got my new all seaon tires back in late November, I had some pretty old ones, and I was skiing on rainy roads rather than driving. And also, if those people were having such traction problems, a lot of the blame should be put on the driver and the driving habbits.

OK, more good information there, thanks. I guess a lot of that is just common sense, ie: old/unsuited tires, bad performance, but it's good to hear this from actual owners who are making due.

Yes, I realize being able to handle the car is very important, and that I'll need to accustom myself to the car, and I'm hearing loud and clear, not to abuse it simply because the badges say 'Mustang'. *nods*

Thanks so much.

-shira

[QUOTE='66 coupe]Sounds like a bunch of Camry and Accord owners went through their midlife crises. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

LOL! That's funny. You may be right.

I normally say traction control and ABS AREN'T necessary. But others on here who aren't used to driving classic cars think that ABS is a necessity. You said you have good 'instincts' so you should be way ahead of those idiots on Edmunds.

Good point you bring up. I've been a little concerned about that, and I don't know whether I should be. I've driven mostly FWD cars, but also pickups, older Camaros and a few others which I'm sure did not have ABS, but I can't be sure. And as far as instincts are concerned... I guess I'm lucky in that I usually don't have my panic attack until after I've counter-steered through a slide or whatever, lol. I'm female, but if you can understand what I mean by saying this, I've had a lot of guys tell me that "I drive like a guy"; I guess meaning that I do less stupid things than some "women drivers" and are less afraid when I get into trouble, and have managed to think quickly and do what I had to do to stay on the road most times? I dunno. I only know that I've been looking forward to this car now for about 10 years, and if I get it, and can't handle it, lol... I'm going to be broken hearted. :(

Thanks for the info.

-shira

I live in Chicago and my stang is a daily driver. I've never had a problem with her in the rain. Actually, I think she drives pretty good in the rain so you have nothing to worry about the rain. Now with the snow, you might have some problems there. First of all you need to drive slower(just like in any car). Just be really carefull about ice. My stang is my first car and the first car that I've driven in the snow but I've noticed that my other friends had the same problems as I did in the snow. I experenced alot of slidding because of ice and that's about it(This happened during one of the 2 snowstorms that hitted us a few days apart.) I drove one night that 10 inchs fell and everything was fine except for one slight slide. I think you should get a stang just remember you gotta go slow. Any questions just ask me. I'll try to help you the best that I can.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that during the winter months I see TONS of Mustangs when it snows. I think your main concern should be ice/snow. Don't think about the Mustang in the rain because it doesn't have a problem there excepted as someone mentioned my tired so spin once in a while.

EDIT: Just thought I would mention that I did get into an accident during december with a semitruck in the stang BUT there was no snow or anything. The truck driver just didn't turn on his signal and he turned into me so, I just want to warn you before you get a stang: BEWARE OF SEMITRUCKS! They hate Mustangs! I got hit by one and *almost* got hit by another 4 months later.

zincyellow03 said:
I drove one night that 10 inchs fell and everything was fine except for one slight slide. I think you should get a stang just remember you gotta go slow. Any questions just ask me. I'll try to help you the best that I can.

Wow, that's impressive. I don't know if I'm really up for trying it, considering there's no way for me to get from point A to point B without hitting some kind-of dangerous hills, (as it is, I already don't travel the distance when it snows more than a couple inches, so honestly, that's not a problem, lol), it's still good to hear.

Thanks for the info, and I have to say, I've visited other boards to read up, but only posted here before, and everyone is just wonderful and helpful. Wish me luck in finding my car. Did you know finding a white '04 with a 5-spd was like finding chicken lips? *laughs* I'll keep you all posted when I finally find something. I like this board, and would like to be an active part of it. You've all made me feel really welcome with my questions.

As others already mentioned rain is no big deal. I do reccomend something i wish i had done and that is to get a slightly higher model v6(i have the absolute base model) that comes with traction control and abs. i havent really run into any problems its just stuff thats nice to have. as far as snow goes youll find that it is a different experience from driving a FWD car but its not as horrible as some people say.... i actually like driving in the snow because you can get around just fine if its not a few feet deep and your tires arent dead but all you have to do is give it a little extra gas and you can make the back end swing out on command(fun for parking lots or having a little countersteering fun when theres no one else on the road). also if your a little worried about driving in the snow or rain i highly reccomend taking your car out to a wide open parking lot in rainy/snowy conditions and just throw yourself into some slides and find out how to correct yourself. it may sound stupid but its fun and i honestly think its improved my snow driving/ evasive maneuvers 100%.

also id just like to point out that my v6 came used with 17" wheels on it and BFG KDW(wet/dry only not all season) tires. these were not meant for snow driving nor are my current nitto 555's but i can still get around in the snow fine and im sure having all season tires would make it much easier. if you do get nicer wheels and tires down the line i do suggest keeping your old wheels and putting all season tires on them for winter use. it will keep your nice wheels from getting messed up and will allow u to put performance tires on the nice wheels for summer and keep the all season wheels for winter.

good luck :flag: and let us know what stang u get

shira_uma said:
Did you know finding a white '04 with a 5-spd was like finding chicken lips? *laughs* I'll keep you all posted when I finally find something. QUOTE]

Nah, it shouldn't be that hard. I was able to find a YELLOW stang(they're not that popular lol) for a pretty nice price. Just look around and try to read up on tips on how you can get them to lower the price on your stang. I know for mine it was like pulling teeth because they were subborn and we only got $1499 off the price.

FunkMasterFlex said:
if your a little worried about driving in the snow or rain i highly reccomend taking your car out to a wide open parking lot in rainy/snowy conditions and just throw yourself into some slides and find out how to correct yourself. it may sound stupid but its fun and i honestly think its improved my snow driving/ evasive maneuvers 100%.

Sounds like a good idea to me :) I have plenty of places close to home I can try that with, when I get the chance. I guess, in all honesty, that's probably a wise thing since... I'm not too bad in the snow, really, but I "know" what my car's (and in this case, my truck's) reactions are going to be. So it will be a learning process all over again. Thanks.

-shira

zincyellow03 said:
Nah, it shouldn't be that hard. I was able to find a YELLOW stang(they're not that popular lol) for a pretty nice price. Just look around and try to read up on tips on how you can get them to lower the price on your stang. I know for mine it was like pulling teeth because they were subborn and we only got $1499 off the price.

No, seriously. I've been actively calling for almost two weeks (which... may or may not be a long time, I don't know - I just know that I'm not going to walk onto some lot one day and just buy one). I've called "every" Ford dealership I can get too, which is from Delaware through all of Eastern and Central PA, and Western NJ, and I've started calling Dodge and Chevy as well, and any reputable used car lots that will give me a warranty and... nothing. Not. One. Everything is automatic, or V8, or convertible, which of course, they all want to sell me, because when I tell them what I have to trade, a lower-mileage, loaded, 4x4 pickup, they all want it. Right now, the nearest 5-spd, hardtop car in white is in Connecticuit - I'm considering driving to go see it, though probably by the time I do, it'll be gone. But that's a 6-hour hike for me so... I'n still holding out hope that one of these dealers is actually going to call me about the V6 that I asked for, and stop leaving me messages about "Oh, I know you wanted a V6, but I just thought I'd tell you about this beautiful black, automatic V8 we just got in," LOL! I really wish I was not limited to buy from a dealer, but the sad truth is I have to trade before I can buy.

But you know car dealers ;)

So... where do I go to read up on haggling on the price? Lower price is good!

i dont know if there is a CARMAX dealer near you but if there is then log onto www.carmax.com they can ship any car owned by carmax that is local to your carmax usually for free and from any carmax in the US for usually $100-600 depending on how far away the car is. nice thing about carmax is they sell great used cars(inspected and fixed up very well) and usually provide a great warrenty, the downside is that all prices are "no haggle" so they wont budge from their price. good luck

Also, small town car dealerships suck on selection. If you're in a small town, go to the closest "big city" and visit a more high volume dealership. Some might even still have brand new '04's on the lot they're trying to get rid of.

I say get your car man! You want a mustang? get one. I can not speak for snow driving at the moment because I live in Hawaii ..but I can talk about rain ...it's all good. With stock size or my new 18's ...they both do fine in the rain. Get your car if thats what you want.

Sooner

[QUOTE='66 coupe]Some might even still have brand new '04's on the lot they're trying to get rid of.[/QUOTE]

Funny you should say that... I guess talking to you guys on this forum was the stroke of luck I needed, but I finally came across a salesman who actually did some WORK to get himself a sale!

Guy called me last week with something that I did not want, and when I wouldn't budge on what I "did" want, well guess what he did? Dealer-traded for me. :) Got me a car that was on some dealer's back lot in New Jersey that they couldn't sell, supposedly because it was white, a hard top, and a 5-speed - everything I wanted, lol.

I just signed the papers yesterday, and in a couple more days I will have my car (I can't give them my truck yet, until I get a couple of errands done with it this weekend). But for whomever is still following this thread, I'm now the owner of a brand new, '04 white V6 Premium with Pony Package and Mach 1000 sound system. I paid a little more than the budget that I'd set for myself, but it's OK. I put a few grand down, and payment-wise, I'm about where I was thinking I'd be with a used car.

I'm very, very happy, and can't wait to get the car in my posession. Amazing what a couple of phone calls can do, huh? I'll post pics as soon as I get them, and thanks, everyone, for your encouragement and advice!

*hugs to all*

:banana:

-shira (Lynn)

shira_uma said:
Funny you should say that... I guess talking to you guys on this forum was the stroke of luck I needed, but I finally came across a salesman who actually did some WORK to get himself a sale!

what can i say we here at stangnet just tend to have that affect on mustangs :D congrats on the new stang you got the top of the line v6 there so youll have traction control and abs and EVERYTHING :banana:

hope u like the mach 1000 system ive always been curious as to how they sound