trade v6 for wrx?

grtpmkn said:
Hard to say on insurance. I'm 35, so my rates are probably alot tamer than yours would be, but it was only $60 more every six months than the PT Cruiser I had :rlaugh:

Performance-wise, these honestly ARE as quick as a bone stock GT (if not quicker). Out of the hole they are quick because of AWD, but you still don't have your turbo "spooled" up. At higher speeds or roll-ons, you the turbo is pretty much kicking in hard around 3000-3500 rpm, so you have an advantage there as well. Of course, we are on a Mustang board, so it is only natural for every other type of car to be slow and :owned: . Overall, I was pretty surprised by the responses on this thread. I don't think the 5.0 or the 4.6 guys would have been too kind (which is really pretty sad....in my eyes, ANY vehicle that is fast is respectible to me).
I dont think every other car is slow and gets owned, I will be the first person to tell you the sti is a very quick lil car. But I live in a part of calil filled with imports and ricers and i have raced wrx's sti's and evos alot. The wrx doesnt seem terribly quick from a roll at least the ones ive run into. STI is a totally diff story. You gotta consider the things are awd were talking serious drivetrain loss here. The power has to go through two differentials. I beat a few WRX's back when I was bone stock took a evo with 2-3 boltons, and took a sti a few times after I was modded more. But does anyone have the numbers on a wrx arent they something like 240hp and torque :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

blubullitt said:
I dont think every other car is slow and gets owned, I will be the first person to tell you the sti is a very quick lil car. But I live in a part of calil filled with imports and ricers and i have raced wrx's sti's and evos alot. The wrx doesnt seem terribly quick from a roll at least the ones ive run into. STI is a totally diff story. You gotta consider the things are awd were talking serious drivetrain loss here. The power has to go through two differentials. I beat a few WRX's back when I was bone stock took a evo with 2-3 boltons, and took a sti a few times after I was modded more. But does anyone have the numbers on a wrx arent they something like 240hp and torque :shrug:

227hp and similar tq. WRX's though great from a dig, are nothing special from a roll IN STOCK FORM. Which is why they end up with similar 1/4 times. The WRX owns from the dig, then the GT reels him in once rolling. If the WRX was faster from a dig AND a roll, the GT would get romped, but it doesn't because the WRX just isn't that great STOCK from a roll. I mean, it only has 227hp in a 3100lb body not to mention massive drivetrain loss. Its a great car (I HAVE driven one. I kinda taught my friend to drive his) and is great in many areas, but roll-ons are its weakness (STOCK).

blubullitt said:
Unless were talking about a STI its not faster then a gt stock for stock dont believe whatever you read in the latest import tuner mag.

It's close and slaps the V8 powered Mustang GT in the face hard. Turbo or not it's still a 2.0 4cyl, that's less than have the displacment and the vehicles are nearly the same weight. I have seen and raced stock WRX's with my old GTP and I have raced stock Mustang GT's with my old GTP.

They are very close and I don't read import mags.

Also, I am not a mag racer so don't start.

Mike3800 said:
It's close and slaps the V8 powered Mustang GT in the face hard. Turbo or not it's still a 2.0 4cyl, that's less than have the displacment and the vehicles are nearly the same weight. I have seen and raced stock WRX's with my old GTP and I have raced stock Mustang GT's with my old GTP.

They are very close and I don't read import mags.

Also, I am not a mag racer so don't start.
When did I say it wasnt close but if you think the wrx is faster your kidding yourself. I compared the wrx to the gt then you jump in talking about a grand prix. I also thought you didnt have a mustang or a gtp I thought you had a daewoo? Im not being a smart ass im just going off what you said.

blubullitt said:

A stock Rex is rated at 227hp at the crank, but works out to be something like 160-170hp at the wheels. Yes, quite the drivetrain loss. But in stock form, it is almost impossible to spin the wheels (at least I never have, even on wet pavement). As far as being quick at a roll, just depends on what gear you are in and how many rpms you have built up. When me and my friends were doing roll-ons, we were driving 70mph and I would drop it down into third gear. It sat me back hard. The only thing I confirm about his car is it is a '02 GT 5-speed with a few mods and he ran 13.99 at the track in the 1/4 mile. We were dead even up into the triple digits. I have noticed as well that my car feels (seat of the pants anyway) quicker now with 19K miles than when it was newer. Anyway, enough of my ranting.

I'm pretty sure I could spank a '03 Cobra in 8 inches of snow. :D

blubullitt said:
When did I say it wasnt close but if you think the wrx is faster your kidding yourself.

Especially since cars cannot drive themselves. It's close enough to where it does not matter that much.

blubullitt said:
I compared the wrx to the gt then you jump in talking about a grand prix. I also thought you didnt have a mustang or a gtp I thought you had a daewoo? Im not being a smart ass im just going off what you said.

I am 32 and I have owend about 25 cars in my short lifetime, I drive a 1990 ford Probe and my wife drives a 2000 Daewoo lanos. We are going through a bankruptcy right now and have little choice in the matter.

I talked about my old Grand Prix since I have encountered a WRX and a Mustang with it. BTW I beat both and my friend was in one of the the WRX. :D

I have also drven several WRX's and several Mustang GT's.

It's stupid to say one car is faster than the other when people that take them to tracks get near the same times.

Yeah I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I love my v6, but I've got a 5.0 to play with now, and the 6 is reserved for a dd. It sucks in the snow which I get plenty of down here, it has no room, and it gets ****ty gas mileage for a v6 daily driver. If I had the extra money I'd definately buy an impreza or wrx. I've been looking at them a lot lately. Maybe if my co-op this summer works out good I'll be able to trade up.

5-SpeedStallion said:
Summary:

1/4: Drivers' race
Dig: WRX

And therefore, given both of these are not debatable, the GT MUST catch up from a roll and therefore, by logical deduction...

Roll: GT

But what about the lag of the turbo? The Subi may have AWD traction, but it doesn't really kick in 'til about 3000 rpm. It's actually kinda doggy below that. I DO agree with the "Driver's race" part, though. Makes all the difference in the world.