Trailer hitch

Discussion in '2005 - 2009 Specific Tech' started by alexthejew, May 31, 2009.

1. alexthejew

alexthejew New Member

I need a trailer hitch to tow some stuff to the track as well as a jetski occasionally...

unfortunately, i cant find one for my car

06 mustang GT... who makes one for us GT owners?

thanks

2. racerraj

Founding Member

Valley V58441
    Drawtite 24747
    Hidden Hitch 60809.

All Class 1 2000lb rated. Only the Valley says no drill at quick glance, the other may be though.

I ordered from etrailer dot com for my Wife's Flex and F150 with good luck. They probably have a plug in wiring harness too.

3. Houstonnw

Houstonnw New Member

I got the following from hitchesonline.com:

HH119186 $47.95 Hidden Hitch Universal Electrical 4-Flat Powered Tail Light Converter with Installation Kit (must be hardwired)

HH60809s* $99.95 2005-2009 FORD MUSTANG Hidden Hitch Class I Hitch

Plan on a couple of hours to install the hitch yourself. You'll need to take both mufflers off and then feed four wire leaders about about a foot through the frame for the hitch bolts. The passenger side muffler bracket will need a little grinding to fit also.

The tail light kit was recommended by the website and requires power. I read that some of the newer computers have a problem if you try to splice the trailer lights directly into the car's tail lights.

I haven't figured out a good way to route the power wire from the trunk to the battery. There is a six foot span in the middle of the car without anything to hold the wire. I guess I'll need to drill some holes in the frame and use some wire feeds.

Please post if you find out that you can splice the trailer lights directly into the Mustang tail lights.

- Wayne

4. 02GTRX

02GTRX I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S

Uhual will install one for you with wires and all for $250 +/- depending on where you live
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Chris Fierros

Chris Fierros New Member

I've got a Draw Tite Part#24747 I purchased from hitchesforless on my 2010 Mustang GT. I originally purchased it for a 2008 GT California Special and had it on a 2009 GT/CS as well. I tow a Kendon Motorcycle trailer and one or two motorcycles ( under 2,000 lbs ) no problem. Yes they do fit the Shelby GT's and GT/CS dispite what you have read, just pinches the rear bumper a little bit.

The instructions tell you to drop the mufflers but you don't have to, just take one of the short carriage bolts to your local hardware store and get four 5 inch ones of the same diameter then you can just run the bolt through the frame instead of having to muck around with dropping mufflers and fishing the bolts into the frame. With a jack to hold the frame in place it shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes to install.

On my 08/09 GT/CS the standard 4 wire trailer light plug worked just fine, spliced right into the wires (read/white) in the trunk and ran the pig tail down out through the bottom left electrical rubber boot. On the 2010 Mustang GT (yellow/red wires ) I could not get the trailer lights to work with the sequential tail lights until I replaced the trailer's light bulbs with 1157 type LED bulbs.

-Chris

Attached Files:

6. Wind-Farmer

Wind-Farmer Member

:rlaugh: hitch on mustang!

Buy a pickup before you decide to buy jet ski :shrug:

7. Mr_Q

Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    NO HITCHES ON MUSTANGS. STOP IT. Buy a small cheap ass $1500 Yoda or something for Christsake! :nono:

"He who has removed so many"

8. Old man Gene

Old man Gene New Member

Trailer hitch for GT/CS

Based on Chris's comments I purchased the above draw tite hitch for my 2009 GT/CS convertible, followed his suggestion of the 5" bolts and it all worked fine. Except,......, it took more than 20 minutes (1.5 hrs, I'm a CPA not a mechanic) but still had to drop the passenger side muffler. It does a little more than pinch a little bit, but cosmetically acceptable (had to remove the center mount bracket too).

9. Chris Fierros

Chris Fierros New Member

Old man Gene,

Even the Draw-Tite website say it should only take 45 minutes. That of course is a load of crap if you use the installation kit and have to drop the mufflers and fish the bolts up through the frame. Took me 3 hrs to put it on that way.

I'm not a mechanic either but I had previously installed the hitch on a 2007 GT and 2008 GT/CS the hard way before I figured out I could just get 4 longer (but same grade) bolts and run it through the frame. So that was my 3rd install on a 2009 and with tools in hand and car in place only took me 20 minutes to install as I timed it. I put the bolts in through the frame from the outside first and then I use a motorcycle jack to hoist the hitch up into place before running the bolts all the way through the frame. The jack helps if you don't have someone to hold it in place while you run the bolts through.

I did not drop any of the mufflers when using the longer bolts but I did have to remove the rear muffler hanger on the passenger muffler as it has to be removed as the bolts that hold it on go through the hitch. But the muffler stayed in place due to the front hanger.

But I did forget about the part where on the GT/CS you have to disconnect the two lower plastic clips tabs that hold the lower bumper skirt in place and fold that piece up out of the way. For some reason the bumper pinch on my 2008 GT/CS was more noticeable than on the my 2009 GT/CS, these pictures are from my 2009 GT/CS.

On the 2011 GT you have to remove both left and right hangers as Ford flipped the driver side hanger which used to hang out from the frame and now it hangs inward (like the passenger side). And on the 2011 GT/CS there are 4 clips instead of 2 so you can't just fold that part up but rather have to zip tie them back to the original mounting holes as they won't reach once the hitch is in place. Finally the rear bumber skirt completely covers the hitch, meaning you will need to cut a 1.25 inch square in the cover (a replacement skirt is only $139.95 from Ford) and plug it with a rubber hitch cover, or convert back to a standard GT skirt (try www dot newtakeoff dot com), or fabricate a custom hitch ball mount in the shape of a capital letter G. I may just cut out the whole in the skirt and put a rubber hitch cover in there for now and then R&R the skirt when my lease is up!

BTW...How is your mpg while towing? I'm was getting about 18mpg at 5 mph over posted speeds on the interstate in my 2010 GT.

Cheers...

Attached Files:

10. ecurrent

ecurrent New Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    2006 Mustang w/ hitch

Draw-tite has a clean Class 1. Go to etrailer.com
    I just bought one and have yet to install it.
    See the pic.

Attached Files: