Tranny/B&M Hammer Shifter Questions

I just had the AOD tranny re-built in my 92 5.0 302 vert, about 3 months ago. Now I know that a re-build consists of only replacing parts that were "out of spec". I had them install a B&M hammer shifter, and i don't think it was put in correctly.

I have to slam the thing forward for it to go into park, or hold it forward till it rolls slightly back to a complete stop. Second issue, it feels like the car is lugging around at low speeds & does not always downshift smooth. I know it has to be something off, b/c it does shift smooth more times than not. The car also gets with it when floored. 3rd issue is the hammer shifter lets you flip down to 1st & then back up (like tip tronic in newer cars)... I can upshift 3 times before hitting the stop. If I let off the gas, I seem to go into nuetral. I read that a bolt has to be placed in, to possibly get that extra upshift out. Also, when I was putting in my stereo, it looks like the trans cable is not hooked to the shifter, but pulled tight & screwed to the frame?????

* Has anyone installed a shifter, or even better the hammer in their stang? Need help quick, as warranty on tranny is only for a year & damage is not wanted.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure I understand everything but I will try and help some.

Regarding having to slam the shifter forward for park, it sounds like your shifter cable is out of adjustment. Follow the proceedure in your Chilton/Haynes manual.

Your lugging and strage shifting issues sound like maybe your TV cable is not adjusted correctly.

When you drive normally, do you have all 4 forward gears? The reason I ask is when I put my new VB in, I did adjust the shift linkage at the tranny correctly, so when the shifter showed to be in 1st, it was actually in 2nd.

The cable you might be seeing is the cable that prevents your from shifting out of Park unless the brake is depressed. Its a thin black cable that bolt to the trans tunnel at the front of the shifter, The cable runs under the shifter to the shift gate. Your actually shifter cable shouldnt be seen from inside the car. Its attached to an arm on the shifter under the car and no part should protrude into the passenger compartment.

Will the haynes manual cover all adjustments to the TV & shifter cable?

The cable inside the car is a thin black casing with a steel braided line that moves - still it is not attached to shifter at all. Most likely for parking as stated. :mad: "will kill the tranny shop owner (as he's a personal friend), if they screwed my re-build"

On my old shifter, I had: P, R, N, OD, D & 1st - With the hammer it seems to be set up: P, R, N, 4, 3, 2, 1... I read a forum on her from 2004 install job. They said that it was a saftey feature, of the car not being able to be shifted past nuetral & there is a stop once reached. I have just never had a B&M shifter allow shift into nuetral.

I have never had to do any type of work to the Ford AOD tranny. The previous stangs have all been T-5's. Guess I shouldn't have went AOD, after everything read in most forums. However, I wanted my girl to be able to enjoy the vert.

Thanks for the help :SNSign:

The hayes manual will cover the shift cable adjustment. I belive it says to put the car in N, make sure the linkage under the car at the tranny is in the N position also. Attach the cable to the linkage and tighten.

As far as the TV cable, the most proper way in to install a low pressure gauge to the tranny and set it at 5psi at idle I believe. You can also set it with a tool that spaces the cable from the lock block, then you lock it down and go. Not as exact as the gauge method, but it works.

When I had a hammer shifter you could up shift from 1 all the way to N. The stop was in the N position to keep you from shifting into Reverse, not neutral. Once you reached the stop, you had to lift the trigger to get into reverse and then you could just upshift into Park.

I now have a stock shifter with the B&M Gate plate kit installed. Works great and only cost 25.00. I got rid of the hammer because I got tired of the wife complaining about having to lift the trigger to shift it.

I hear youon the shifter... my girl can't sem to get it down, thats why I was worried about it being able to go into neutral. You know how the lil light doesn't line up to tell what actual gear you are in....

I'll check out the manual & see what I can get going on the gauge to get the TV on track. I am tempted to take it to the tranny shop & go left...

:owned:

Well guys, turns out my shifting issue was related to a coolant issue occuring. After flushing the radiotor & replacing all house & thermo - tranny is shifting like a king. Gues since i don't have a tans cooler & left stock radior to do work... thsi was cauing bad shifts.

The park issue will definitely bee looked into ASAP...

Thanks for all the help - :D