Tranny Oil Change

rugman1969

May 6, 2006
Looking at changing the tranny oil in my 2001 must gt 5 speed. Can anyone tell me where to drain and fill, and what weight oil to use? Is royal purple worth the money? Thanks also, how do I know what tranny I have?

• Sponsors (?)

I ended up doing my tranny fluid change, when I did my short shifter. If you are at all considering a short shifter, I would suggest waiting until then to change the tranny fluid. If you don't fill your tranny through the shifter opening, then you have to get a pump, or I've heard some have used a long funnel that bends...??:shrug: The drain plug is a 3/8" ratchet head that fits in there snuggly, you just break it loose, and unscrew to drain (very easy)Anyways, you should be able to double check the owners manual on which tranny you have, also, inside the door will give you a tranny code (should be a letter), of which tranny-type you have. The owners manual says to stick to MERCON ATF, I believe, or DEXRON is commonly used. I ended up using the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, because it is approved for the factory recommended MERCON/DEXRON attributes. It's 3.25 quarts of ATF fluid, whichever brand you choose. I have heard good things about the Royal Purple Syncromesh, but I think it's all upon personal preference. Basically, anything you put in there will be better than what you have now. :nice:

the drain plug is on the very bottom of the tranny (pointing towards the ground). It is towards the end of the tranny (towards the rear end) & it is in the dead center of the car. Once you get under there you will see it.:nice: