trans question

i have a 1995 gt with a 5 speed. i was talking to a couple of people about mustangs and they said with the t5 to shift into 5th gear before putting the car into reverse. they said that it would make it last longer. is there any truth to it or is it just an unnecessary step. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If the trans grinds going into R, going into a forward gear slows the cluster down so it engages R cleanly (no light grinding). R has no synchro or brake, which is why this helps.

It is common practice on foxes - I thought it would be for SN's since I think only Cobra spec T5's got a reverse brake.

HISSIN50 said:
If the trans grinds going into R, going into a forward gear slows the cluster down so it engages R cleanly (no light grinding). R has no synchro or brake, which is why this helps.

It is common practice on foxes - I thought it would be for SN's since I think only Cobra spec T5's got a reverse brake.

Yup, if your reverse grinds, it will definately save your trans.....Mine doesn't so I don't usually. But my maxima does, so I put in 1st then reverse.
Scott

It worked for me as well. After a new clutch, cable, adjuster etc. I had a hard time engaging Reverse (thought it was a problem with the set up). The shop recommended putting tranny in anyone of the top forward gears (1, 3, 5) first and sure enough it was a lot easier. I use 3rd as it is easier to reach than fifth. My car is also usually parked in first with e-brake on.

I'm with JT & the select few others. My uncle (a 19 year tech for Ford) instructed me to do that with my first Stang. I've always done that. Besides, if I don't do it, the tranny will grind going into R .....