Transmission and driveshaft clearance problem

e50095

Jul 3, 2010
I desperately need some expertise before I pitch myself off a roof. The spine of the tailshaft on my transmission is resting on the bottom of the shifter and is rattling me out of the car at high speed. The damper on the driveshaft also has marks on it where it has contacted the trans tunnel. I put a new trans mount on and it helped the vibration slightly, but something else has to be wrong. It's an LX, 93 2.3 with an automatic, and it's been this way since the day I bought it. I'm thinking the u-joints are out as a cause because its a clearance issue thats causing the vibration. Is it possible the motor mounts are installed incorrectly and the engine is sitting too high? If I look across the top of the fender from one side to the other, the top of the EFI seems to be barely clearing the hood. I went to the JY to see if I could get under another car to measure some clearances. They only had an 83 auto, and the tranny mount /crossmember was completely different than mine, so no real help there. Any info someone could provide would be most appreciated. I posted on the 2.3 board with no response, so I figured I better try again here where the real expertise is.......thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

When you say the spine of your tailshaft is rubbing, do you mean on top of the trans? Somthing isn't right if that is true. Is the trans crossmember a factory unit? Is it on upside down? I think it should still have the double hump crossmember even though it's a 2.3. I would take a closer look at that. The u joints could be causing a vibration but that's not going to fix the rubbing.

yes sir, the top of the tailshaft is resting on the box that houses the shifter. The crossmemeber appears to be stock. single hump. The exhaust, which I know is correct because I put it on, runs through that hump, so I don't think the cross is upside down.