Transmission opinion

Snarf

Dec 24, 2003
Lexington, KY
Hey fellas, long-time lurker, new registree here :) I've got a trannie question for you all. In about two months or so I will finally be getting a gently used Stang. My main concern is with what transmission I should be looking for.

I've heard all the horror stories abour T3650's so I'm gonna really try to stray from them if I can help it at all. I know the 01+ GTs came with those, did the earlier models (99+) have them too or was it something else?

Secondly, I know the 99 and 01 svt's came with T45s. [EDIT- thought T56s came on 01's as well, doh] A Cobra would be killer, but an 01 svt is near the far end of what I want to spend. Would it be better to shell out the extra cash to get that trannie, and the 4V motor?

So I guess, in conclusion, my question is: Should I stay away from T3650s even it mean buying a 99 or 01 svt to do so? Or am I worrying about nothing and T3650s are indeed okay?

Thanks guys :)

• Sponsors (?)

RacerGT said:
The only mustang equipped with a T-56 is a 2003 Cobra. The previous year cobras came with the T45.

Doh, my bad. Edited main post to keep from looking like a complete moron ;)

Any opinion on the T3650 vs T45 though?

(an 03 is most definetly out of the question)

Snarf said:
Doh, my bad. Edited main post to keep from looking like a complete moron ;)

Any opinion on the T3650 vs T45 though?

(an 03 is most definetly out of the question)

T-45 Info:

This five-speed overdrive transmission was developed primarily for high performance cars with relatively high engine torque requirements but is adaptable to other light-duty applications such as sport utility light trucks. The TREMEC T-45 was used on the 1996-1999 Ford Mustang Cobra and is currently available for aftermarket applications.

Features:

Center Distance - 81.5 mm
Overdrive in fifth gear provides extended ratio coverage.
Aluminum die cast housings for reduced weight.
Tapered roller bearings on main and countershafts reduce noise and improve durability.
Needle bearing under 1st through 4th gears improve high speed performance and reduce shift effort.
Advanced synchronizer technology:
Powdered steel formed blocker rings
Engineered friction material for improved durability
Double cone synchronizer design for lower shift effort in first and second speed gears
Patented strut-type synchronizer design for improved durability
Constant mesh, double disconnect reverse.
Internal, single rail shift system.
Integral clutch housing with front cover end-loading design for increased driveline bending strength.
Multiple shift lever locations.

T-3650 Info:

This five-speed overdrive transmission was developed using state-of-the-art technology and is designed for a wide range of cars and compact utility vehicles. Currenlty, the TREMEC TR-3650 is being used on the Ford Mustang GT and the BA Falcon.

Features:

Center Distance - 85 mm
Five-speed transmission with overdrive
Two-wheel drive
Advanced synchronizer design
Optimized multi-rail shift linkage
Improved shifter design
Constant mesh, synchronized reverse
End-load design with integral clutch housing

I found this on Tremecs website, not sure if the info will help you at all. :shrug: :banana:

Personally speaking the 3650 is alright...it is one of the most stubborn transmissions I've ever used. In the Texas heat during the summer it shifts pretty good, in the winter like now, it grinds going into second and sometimes third. It has never been to the track either. There is a whole article on the 3650 issues on this board somewhere at the top (its a sticky item). If I had my way I would get the latest model you can afford and swap the 3650 out for something much better. Tremec's reputation is pretty good....just not on the 3650. Ford also doesn't seem to be doing a good job at addressing the issue, their canned answer to me was "It isn't performance affecting, and its normal".

Yeah, I've read the 3650 Issues thread most of the way through.. and to be honest I really don't want to get that trannie if I can avoid it. I plan on having this car for a long time. I don't want to have any issues with the gearbox. So I guess im leaning heavily towards a 99 or 01 svt, if only for the gearbox

well with 3,927 miles on my 03gt, it is now sitting at the ford dealer, with the tranny screwed up :mad: my tranny is stuck in 2nd, while the shifter is in neutral. my previous car was a 98gt with 90,000+ miles on it & the t-5 tranny never even flinched, & it was at the track several times. i know it might just be my experience, but i doubt it. so far i'm far from impressed with the 3650. i was going to try & get them to switch the tranny to a t-56 & let me pay the difference, but i think i'm going to give it one more shot on the 3650 & if something else happens, then i'll switch if it does. hope it helps

I bought a used 2001 GT and it has the 3650 tranny. In the 3+ months I've owned it, I've experienced similar symptoms to those who have posted their problems. I'm not *unhappy* with the tranny, however. The original owners babied this car up to 15500 miles. In the past 1400 miles I've had it, I've hammered the snot out of it whenever possible :D

Since then, I've developed the "noisy throw-out bearing", but nothing else. Gonna shoot it up with the white lithium grease to see if it shuts her up. As for the shifting complaints in the cold...yup, have them too! I've found that if I allow the car to warm up a little before driving off (about 5 minutes) AND turn off the traction control, I get pretty smooth shifts! If I want the traction control back on, I'll do so after a couple miles. No problems from then on. To add to this, though, I have NOT had any grinding while shifting. It's been tight, but never grinds.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that in my short experience with abusive driving, I'm not convinced that you would/should go out of your way to avoid the 3650 if thats your ONLY criteria for buying one model year over another. But that's just my opinion.

My opinions: Both transmissions are decent although there seems to be a lot more reported problems with the 3650.
I am pretty sure that 96-2001 (switching to the 3650 sometime during 2001)Mustangs came with the T45, SVT or not. The 3650 took over in production during the 2001 model year (I have heard some people say that even though their door panel says 3650 the transmission is infact a T45) and was most likely used in the 2001 Cobra. From then on it was 3650 all the way. I have a 99GT and I definitely have a T45, it has been excellent for me.

Thanks alot C2, Brisk and DH- thats the kind of info I wanted to hear about :) I think i'll be getting either a 99-00 GT or a 99 SVT.. whatever Ye Olde Loan Officer says I can afford ;)

I'll be posting pics when I get it :) Thanks again!

I don't think I have EVER seen a thread on Stangnet with so much wrong information in it.

96-98 Mustang GT T-45 with mechanical speedo sensor

99- Mid 01 Mustang GT T-45 with electronic speedo sensor

Mid 01+ Mustang GT T-3650

96-98 Cobra T-45 (same as GT) ?

99 & 01 Cobra T-3550 ?

00 Cobra R ???

03 Cobra T-56

Mach 1 ???

This is going from memory, perhaps someone will correct any mistakes I may have made. Now for my personal oppinion On paper the T-3650 is stronger than the T-45, however some people have been having problems with them, its a toss up. Also if its important to you, the T-3650 has a synchronized reverse, and the T-45 does not (meaning you often have to shift it into another gear before going into reverse, with me its automatic reflex, but I have been driving cars with this trait for the last 15 years)

Ike