Transmission seeps

• Sponsors (?)

mustang462002:

There are a couple possibilities. The transmission may be overfilled and this causes frothing of the fluid and then fluid burps out of the "vent hole". There could be a seal that is leaking and allowing fluid to drool down (and drip onto the floor). Note that I put vent hole in quotes because I'm not certain that there is a dedicated vent. It may be that the fluid level is high enough to ooze out of one of the electrical connections. In any case, fluid can and does leave the transmission if there is too much ATF in it.

I always have a hard time reading the level (following the procedure in the Owner's Manual) but, after about five tries, I can usually get reliable level readings. Let the car sit for 30 to 60 minutes after getting it up to full operating temperature. The ATF needs time to drain down. Measuring level at this time will give you a hot reading. You can try a cold reading in the morning and see which you think is more reliable/accurate.

Get under the car and see if you can trace the source of the fluid. If it is on the driver side, about 1" or 2" above the drain pan seam and on the tapered section of the housing, then it is coming from the vent. You need to pull out 1/2 a pint at a time (use a MityMite hand vacuum pump) until the level is just right. Otherwise, there may be a leaking seal. I use brake cleaner (keeping it FAR AWAY from the paint: spray it on a rag) and wipe the transmission down in those areas that are "oily". If you wipe everything down and then look again in a week, the source of the leak should be pretty obvious.

HTH,

Chris