Transmission Service

Lovejoy

Jerking And Popping
Jan 3, 2016
Illinois
Last on to do list is transmission service. Car has 73,000 miles on it. Pan has small leak so plan to drain and change filter and gasket but would like advice on weather or not to flush or just drain and where to buy the period correct gasket for the car. Not cork. Ford recommends at 90,000 miles but leak at the pan can't be ignored for that long. Will be done with Jack and Jack stands no lift. Shops little more then I want to spend right now.

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't worry too much about a flush, but i'd consider draining the converter.
May want to consider a shift kit while you are in there.
Most expensive part of a shift kit install is the fluid so...
I'd also consider adding a drain plug, which will make next time 1000% less messy.

Picked up some trans x stop leak today gonna try it first. And may do a stall but haven't heard anything good about a shift kit. Shifts harder is all I hear and don't want that. If I can avoided dropping pan until 90,000 miles that would be fine with me. Leaks just bug me lol

do not put any stop leak crap in your transmission- fix the leak. It could be bad shifter seals or a tail shaft seal . When you drop the pan inspect what is in there- of you see excessive metal or clutch material then a reuild may be in store. Do not flush the system- when you hook up your car to the machine you are running all of the dirty fluid from every other car that was run before into your transmission. I would also suggest drilling and tapping the pan for a drain hole and gluing a getting a magnetic drain plug to catch the metal shavings or.

You are wrong on the shift kit- a firmer shift helps the transmission life by not wearing the bands and clutches as much, I would also highly recommend getting the largest plate style trans cooler you can fit in ffront of the radiator. Personally I would replace the valve body with a silver fox unit but if you go with a shift kit then a transgo is decent.

Unless you swapped cams and/or heads or a poweradder, there is no benefit in a higher stall converter on an otherwise stock motor.. It also adds more heat so that goes back to the need for a trans cooler.

If your car is stock, just get Dex/Merc IV, and a OEM trans filter, and pan gasket from any parts store.,

If I had the money for all of that I would consider it. But I don't and no interest anyway. Car isn't stock but no problems with transmission before. Think gasket just needs replaced. Very small leak. I do appreciate the advice and helpful hints. Any idea on how much power a stock aod can handle?

If I had the money for all of that I would consider it. But I don't and no interest anyway. Car isn't stock but no problems with transmission before. Think gasket just needs replaced. Very small leak. I do appreciate the advice and helpful hints. Any idea on how much power a stock aod can handle?

It's rated for 225 brake hp. Since you have no interest in doing anything to prevent it from failure with increased power, I would say anything over 225 is a coin toss. Heat is the #1 cause of transmission failure. Not adding a trans cooler to an AOD with 75k miles is penny wise and pound foolish imo- $60 for a cooler vs. $1000 for a rebuilt trans and converter seems wise to me. At a mnimum you should replace the tail shaft seal while you are at it for $5. Your choice. I prefer to do it once and right the first time.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Just haven't had luck in the past with certain things and don't want to break something that performs perfect on a daily basis. doubt myself often. Defiantly don't want to rebuild so trans cooler is in order. May do t-5 swap next year but also heard you can beef up an aod for more power.