transmission slipping?

SAMustang7

May 4, 2003
i have a 96 automatic. many people are telling me that my problem sounds like the transmission. basically what my car is or isnt doing i should say is not going when i step on the gas. the car revs up for a moment brfore going anywhere. mostly happens when im taking off from a stop. i also hear another noise, not quite a whine but something similar when i step on the gas coming from around the bottom of the engine. finally, i can feel a knocking on the underside when im driving. anyone know whats causing all or some of this.

• Sponsors (?)

No there isnt any shuddering in the rear wheels. Last night however was the first time I noticed that it revved up while I was driving. I was about to hit 60 and the rpms went a little over 4000 before it finally settled back to the usual 2000.

Have you gotten the o/d light on the dash to flash yet ?

If your car went up to 4k rpms at 60mph and then finally came back down after a while, that means the 3-4th shift was late. Which means your o/d servo is probably failing. Its typical in high performance o/d autos. Be prepared to buy yourself a rebuild kit for the transmission and this time, throw a transmission cooler in there.

I had a similar problem with my contour. It would make funny noises and shift ramdomly and even rev out of gear sometimes. Turns out it was my speed sensor. They are only on automatics and are used to relay info to the computer about your speed so that it knows when to shift based on your speed. :shrug:

IF it's the transmission, and IF its shuddering away from a stop, then it's likely the forward clutch wearing out. If it is, it'll need a rebuild. But the fact youre having other problems in addition to that may in fact be causing your problem.