Tremec swap ????

Ok, I am confused. You can buy a Tremec TKO swap kit which includes a bellhousing from some places advertised as fitting 289, 302, & 351. Other places sell a kit with an adapter/spacer to install the TKO with your original early style bellhousing. As I am cheap, I am not willing to spend the $3200 Keisler wants for a "perfect fit" or whatever they call their kit, so I must make my own.

My questions:
1) I have a 351 with an 11" clutch. I can buy the pieces separate using the spacer (which is more expensive) and use my original bellhousing and flywheel, or get a kit and possibly use a new bellhousing. Will my current flywheel fit the new bellhousing as shown here: http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=TR6392+01
2) Which clutch kit do I need to get with the current flywheel/11 inch clutch? I would like a Centerforce Dual Friction, but the TKO comes with a 26 spline input. Will this one work? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CTF-DF148552&N=700+115&autoview=sku
3) Is the pilot bearing the same between a TKO and a toploader?
4) What shift handle do you buy for a TKO? Late model Mustang style?
5) Anything special about the speedo cable or will my original 69 Mustang speedo cable work with the correct gear on the end?
6) I think the transmission isolator/mount is the same between the Toploader and TKO, am I correct? (I know I need a different crossmember)
7) Anything special about the reverse light connections or is it just a matter of connecting a couple of wires together?

Thanks for any and all help! :)

• Sponsors (?)

I priced a swap like that for a t56 conversion from summit and it came up being a couple of hundred more expensive than dark horse conversions which had the cross member and JMC clutch setup included!

Ok, I am confused. You can buy a Tremec TKO swap kit which includes a bellhousing from some places advertised as fitting 289, 302, & 351. Other places sell a kit with an adapter/spacer to install the TKO with your original early style bellhousing. As I am cheap, I am not willing to spend the $3200 Keisler wants for a "perfect fit" or whatever they call their kit, so I must make my own.

My questions:
1) I have a 351 with an 11" clutch. I can buy the pieces separate using the spacer (which is more expensive) and use my original bellhousing and flywheel, or get a kit and possibly use a new bellhousing. Will my current flywheel fit the new bellhousing as shown here: http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=TR6392+01
2) Which clutch kit do I need to get with the current flywheel/11 inch clutch? I would like a Centerforce Dual Friction, but the TKO comes with a 26 spline input. Will this one work? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CTF-DF148552&N=700+115&autoview=sku
3) Is the pilot bearing the same between a TKO and a toploader?
4) What shift handle do you buy for a TKO? Late model Mustang style?
5) Anything special about the speedo cable or will my original 69 Mustang speedo cable work with the correct gear on the end?
6) I think the transmission isolator/mount is the same between the Toploader and TKO, am I correct? (I know I need a different crossmember)
7) Anything special about the reverse light connections or is it just a matter of connecting a couple of wires together?

Thanks for any and all help! :)

1. The spacer for your bell is also available from Mustangs Unlimited ($150). You can also use an SROD/Cobra bell for this (ebay) the spacer is required for this with your present bell due to the Tremecs longer (1") input shaft, the bolt pattern is the same for the Toploader and Tremec. The SROD/Cobra bell is deeper to match the longer input. Only problem with this route is they use a smaller flywheel (157 tooth) You'd then need to buy a new flywheel also ... 2. The Tremec is also available with the 1-1/16" input with ten splines. If you've already bought the transmission, just order the correct pressure plate for your flywheel and the correct diameter clutch disc with 26 splines to match the input. 3. Same pilot bearing for both. 4. Don't know that one or the rest.

the rest of the story

picking up where DHearne left off:

4) There are several options for a handle. Yes you can use one from a late model, but they are pretty short and don't extend back very far, so it will be quite a reach. There are several conversion handles, but none that match the 69. California Pony Cars, Mustangs Unlimited and NPD all sell conversion handles that have the early style tops (65-68) welded to the late model bottom. They will work, just won't be "Melvin". In order to Murphy proof the assembly line, Ford used a larger diameter thread on the 4 speed shifters than the 3 speed. I mention this because if you want to use one of the 5 speed walnut knobs that look like the original 4 speed knob, you will need the 4 speed handle. I made my own by cutting the bottom off a re-chromed 4 speed handle and welded on the lower part myself. BIG mistake. I only have a stick welder and my skill level doesn't even register. The day I rolled the car off the trailer for my 1st OT event it broke off in my hand. K.A.R. rescued me. They had a booth set up at the show, and had a custom billet aluminum handle just for display. They sold it to me so I didn't waste my track fees and weekend. I was able to swap them out in about an hour. It may not look anything like stock, but it is THE ticket for OT shifting. Really great guys there!!

5) The TKO has the speedo gear on the driver's side (RH rotation) like a 3 speed or C4, so if you currently have a 4 speed you will need a new speedo gear. You will also probably want to change your cable out to a shorter 3 speed one so there is not a lot of slop.

6) Yes

7) No, just cut and splice a late model switch end onto the firewall feed extension.